Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kitchen Aid SXS Refrigerator Icing up air return and damper assembly

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:46 PM

Kitchen Aid refrigerator Model # KSRA25CNWH00 iced up air return by the fresh food crisper drawer and the air damper assembly iced up at top of fresh food section.

About the third time I have run into this problem with the electronic controls.

I totally deiced the air damper and air return, but customer says it's still not cooling.

Anybody have any service bulletins on these before I replace the electronic control and the air damper assembly?

Edited by Scottthewolf, 30 September 2013 - 09:47 PM.

Scott Wolf

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:43 AM

Anyone? Nickfixit? Chat in Fla?
Scott Wolf

#3 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:52 AM

Service Pointer R8178611 dtd 11/06.  Multiple procedures depending on symptoms.  I usually seal the liner lip at the front of both compartments using food grade silicone P/N 428338.  Maybe one of the Bros and upload the pointer.

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:11 AM

http://appliantology...ervice-pointer/

Whirlpool Refrigerators Service Pointer

Interior Moisture R8178611
8178611.pdf

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:35 AM

Thanks, Reg.

#6 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:55 PM

Thanks guys. I think the main problem is the control board decides when to terminate the defrost cycle, so it may be terminating defrost too soon. There is something to be said for keeping things simple, but welcome to the energy saving era.
Scott Wolf

#7 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:33 AM

I remember when the Kitchenaid freestanding SxS's first started using the main control boards there was an issue with ice balls forming at the front center of the freezer ceiling.  It was due to air flow, insufficient rpm's on the evap fan motor.  Replacing the main control board was the recommended repair.  But these were the boards in the unit section.

Edited by PDuff, 03 October 2013 - 11:36 AM.

#8 Konanthebarb

Konanthebarb

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:20 AM

Hey Scotthewolf, I just saw this posted, I don't log on all the time but noticed this post. The actual fix for this is rather simple and complex at the same time.

I've probably seen this over 30-40 times now and repaired them all. The problem is the evaporator fan motor kicking on too quickly and spraying moisture

to the upper damper and slowly clogging it. Also the bypass duct by the vegi-crisper will ice up because air cannot flow through the upper damper freely.

The fix for this is to use the air scoop heater #483166, and attach it to the back of the plastic cover in the upper freezer. Then, after clearing out all the ice

from the damper and the by-pass duct, install a fzzr thermostat, in-line, on one leg of the evaporator motor. This is to delay the start of the fan from blowing up the moisture and letting it settle down before starting up again. Also, tell your customer to keep food away from the by-pass duct at least 4 inches so air can flow more freely. You will notice that once this is done and plugged back in, the refrigerator will not start until the by-pass thermo you install closes and kicks in. This will take another 15-20 mins or so before the fridge acturally starts up. Its a good idea to inform your customer about this so they know that it will eventually start up and not panic. If the fan starts up right away, then you have installed it incorrectly. The fan must always have a delayed start. Good Job you doing by the way. I've learned a lot from you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics