Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kitchenaid KBRC36FTS00 Built-In is Beeping

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 George1010

George1010

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Stella

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:56 AM

KBRC36FTS00, about 5 years old.  At the moment the fridge and freezer are both cold, all buttons work, defroster apparently works. BUT - the condenser fan stops running every 30-60 seconds, stays off for 10 seconds or so, the control board beeps, and the fan runs again. This routine seems to repeat fairly continuously. I checked the condenser coils for dirt, and there is only the lightest coating of dust, so I'm sure that's not a factor.

Based on an internet search, this looks like symptoms of the control board going bad, but I found one product bulletin for a similar model that says the condenser fan is going bad, based on these symptoms.

Even worse, apparently the control board is NLA - if my lookup skills are correct, it's part number W10219462.  The fan is cheaper and readily available to boot.

Not sure how to get to diagnostic mode - touch the cooling on/off and filter reset buttons at the same time and hold?  Will this tell me if it's my board or my fan?

Any/all advice appreciated!

GK

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 bigbuck

bigbuck

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Red Wine

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:05 PM

Need to check fan motor with voltmeter for 120 volts when it it off and not running.If at some point you get no voltage and the compressor is running then you have a bad board.If you have 120 volts and fan is off than bad fan motor.Board would have to be rebuilt.http://fixyourboard.com

http://www.harborfre...ster-97218.html  Could use one these to check for voltage on condenser fan motor wires.

Edited by bigbuck, 01 October 2013 - 01:17 PM.

#3 George1010

George1010

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:38 PM

Hey Thanks Bigbuck for the reply.  I did a little more research, here's some add'l info:

- Whirlpool refers us poor souls to Corecentric for the board rebuild service, which I'm OK with if that's what's needed.  I'll have to figure out a way to keep the provisions cool while waiting for the part to come back;

- There's a Whirlpool "service pointer" bulletin that I came across that says this condenser fan motor is the culprit and should be replaced. 

I'm surmising that if the fan is slow/lazy/failing and drawing too much current then the board might be clicking off to protect itself.  If that's the case, a new fan should make it all right, right?  Is there a particular resistance I should look for on a fan motor if I connect my ohm meter across the fan leads after disconnecting it?

I'll see if I can determine whether the compressor is also being turned off, but that thing is very quiet, it might be hard to tell.  

Thanks again,

GK

#4 bigbuck

bigbuck

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:17 PM

http://www.harborfre...eter-95652.html you can use a amp meter to check when compressor is on but anytime compressor is on fan should be on too.Then use above method.Or take a chance and order fan motor your call on that.You need to be for looking voltage like i said.Or lack of.

Edited by bigbuck, 01 October 2013 - 03:18 PM.

#5 George1010

George1010

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:27 PM

Thanks Bigbuck, got it.  That clamp-on multimeter looks like it would be handy.  That would tell me if the compressor is drawing current/running - would it help me determine if the fan is drawing too much?  How much is too much for a fan motor?  

GK

#6 bigbuck

bigbuck

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:11 PM

Part number: AP4330510

Part number: AP4330510

#7 George1010

George1010

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:19 PM

Sadly, the video inserted in your reply isn't working, but may I take a guess that it's the condenser fan video from your Youtube channel?

Based on your post, I intend to swap out the old fan for the new.  If the beeps persist, I'll then get the control board serviced.  It's good practice to replace the fan anyway when replacing the board - correct?

Humble thanks,

GK

#8 George1010

George1010

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:32 PM

Update: The replacement condenser fan arrived, and it took all of 10 minutes to R & R.  The fridge was restarted, and after it finished cycling through its startup routine, all seemed well.  The new fan SEEMS to move more air, but I've no way to measure if it really does.  Bad news is the beeping persists, however, so once we consume enough of the chill-ables so that the rest will fit into our dorm-sized backup fridge, I'll be sending the board to Corecentric for the Whirlpool-approved repair.  Bummer.

#9 George1010

George1010

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:41 PM

Just to close the loop on this for other users:  I sent the ECU/Control Board to CoreCentric per the Whirlpool hotline's instructions, received it back in a week, installed it last night and all is working as it should be.  I expressed my dismay to the KitchenAid reps that I contacted that their "KitchenAid Experience" left a lot to be desired, that specifically, a core-exchange program would be a reasonable request, particularly since they positioned and priced this refrigerator as a premium item.  I was assured that my comments were recorded and categorized (so I got that going for me.)  It still galls me that I spent so much $ on this thing, and 4 years later it sat there dead for a week because KA/WP doesn't support it any more.

I photographed the board before and after - one capacitor and one relay were swapped out.  All in, including shipping, insurance, about $160.  Gotta insure these things - if yours ends up lost, you could pay up to $1,000 for these rare unobtanium-filled items.

Good luck to all fellow Whirlpool/KitchenAid/ etc. owners...

GK

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,061 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:05 PM

Good job and thanks for the followup!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics