Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Help with my Whirlpool Refrigerator

Refrigerator icemaker water dispenser door alarm

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 sawilder

sawilder

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:34 PM

I have a Whirlpool French Door Fridge, Model G17FVCXWQ01.  Recently the door alarm on the display keeps showing, even though the door is closed.  Now the water dispenser rarely works, and the icemaker is not making ice.  I suspect that these events are all connected somehow.  The freezer is cold enough, the water pressure has not changed, and no work has been done to the plumbing to cause a clog (when the water does come out the pressure is no different than before).

From what I have read so far, I am suspecting the computer board.  I would say the filter too since it has not had a new filter in over a year because I'm too cheap, but, like I said, the water pressure when it does decide to work is no different than previously. 

What can I do to track down the problem?

Thanks for your help!  :thanks:

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 vee8power

vee8power

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Folgers

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:24 PM

I think the second charactor in the model# is an "i" instead of a one. Are the doors adjusted so that they activate the door switches?

#3 Applianceman97

Applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 2,074 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:59 PM

Sounds like you have a door switch not gettng tripped. This will cause the water not to dispense because it thinks the door s open. IF this is the case the fresh food section light is not shutting off also causing cooling problems in the fresh food section. Check where your door switches hit the door liner and see if the switches are getting depressed. IF not your doors may not be aligned like vee8 said. 

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.justintimeappliance.com

#4 sawilder

sawilder

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:26 PM

Thanks for your reply, but the door switches work fine.  We tried them already. 

#5 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:06 PM

also check the 14v DC from the Power Supply to the Gemini Board

http://appliantology...rator-gi7fvcxw/

Whirlpool Refrigerator

GI7FVCXWQ01
GI7FVCXWB01
GI7FVCXWA01

Repair Part List - W10304453
Tech Sheet - W10310695

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#6 KCTBURY

KCTBURY

www.ieappliance.com

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coke

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:37 AM

The door switches may work when your hand pushes them in, but that doesn't mean they are properly being triggered by the door. 

Put your smart phone on record and set it in the fridge, shut the door, wait about 10 seconds and bump the doors a bit, open doors and watch your video to see if the switch is being triggered. 

#7 sawilder

sawilder

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:24 AM

I found the Control Board Troubleshooting sheet, and ran through the list.  The door switches were ok.  The Icemaker fill test did not work at all - no water.  Also the Ice Level Sensor said the bin was full when it was empty.  I noticed a small amount of condensation around the icemaker outlet, but nothing that would block things or interfere with the seal to the door.  There was a droplet or two that had frozen at the bottom of the cover, but when I opened the gate it didn't feel very cold in there, definitely not freezing.

Suggestions?

#8 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:11 AM

Per Service Pointer R4317487

Customer concern:

Refrigerator doesn't function correctly after service.  Potential system failures include:  icemaker does not work, dispenser won't dispense or refrigerator won't cool.

Cause:

Failure to disconnect refrigerator when servicing.  If a wiring harness is removed with the refrigerator connected to source voltage, it may cause a software "glitch" when the harness is reconnected affecting the control chip operation.  This could cause a variety of operating problems.

Correction:

Whenever servicing a refrigerator requiring replacement of an electrical component or disconnecting a wiring harness, the refrigerator must be disconnected from the power source.  If the refrigerator was inadvertently left connected to the power source, disconnect the refrigerator for 60 seconds to allow the board to reset then reconnect and check operation.

(If needed Gemini control board P/N W10267646.  Also there is a service kit available for the moisture/frost around the ice door.  Fascia heater P/N W10323239.)

#9 sawilder

sawilder

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:53 AM

I have not removed any wiring harnesses.  The problem keeps getting worse.  Now the computer screen won't come on at all, the ice bucket light does not come on, and the ice dispenser motor does not work. 

#10 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:33 PM

Sounds like failure of the Gemini board.  Might even have visible arc damage on the board itself.

#11 sawilder

sawilder

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:35 PM

Is the Gemini board replaceable?  What parts do I need to fix this?  Thanks!

#12 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:53 PM

P/N W10267646

http://www.repaircli...0267646/1552214

#13 sawilder

sawilder

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:58 PM

Thank you all for your help!  Hope this will fix it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Refrigerator, icemaker, water dispenser, door alarm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics