Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool Microwave GMH5205XVS-0

F2 service code

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Home brewed ice tea

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:22 AM

Any tech know something about the F2 service code on a Whirlpool built in M/W GMH5205XVS-0?   Maybe a manual also?  Call from a property management company this morning.

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Strathy

Strathy

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coffee

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:26 AM

Touchpad failure.  

Neighbour's Appliance Service
Servicing Southern Manitoba, Canada

#3 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:08 AM

Whirlpool Inverter M/W by Panasonic :woot:

http://appliantology...l-mw-gmh5205xv/

Whirlpool Microwave Oven/Hood
w/Inverter
GMH5205XVQ0
GMH5205XVB0
GMH5205XVT0
GMH5205XVS0

Repair Part List - W10292230
Tech Sheet - W10404782
Tech Sheet - W10272100
Tech Sheet - W10272103

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#4 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:57 PM

S/S Panel Assy P/N http://www.repaircli...0286246/1552688

Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man, 16 October 2013 - 08:31 AM.
added part link

#5 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:38 PM

Serviced this unit last week.  Instead of F2 code it is F7, an issue with the magnetron.  Thanks to RegUS_PATOFF  & the tech sheets he posted, I was able to diagnose the power relay on the 'printed circuit electronic board' failing to close & send 120v to the magnetron inverter board. 

RC & APP have the electronic board listed on backorder to the tune of $250+.   Sears has the part in stock & listed at half that price, makes me thing it is a refurbished circuit.  Regardless home owner is not happy about an expensive M/W costing so much to repair, ie the cost of the part.   I suggested contacting Whirlpool about any warranty on the part they might have, good luck with that.   I am waiting on authorization to order part & repair & for the property management to pay for the diagnoses.

Edited by Patricio, 14 October 2013 - 02:50 PM.

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

#6 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:31 AM

Thanks for the update, Patricio.  Good catch on the control relay.  How do the connections on the inverter board look?

#7 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:38 PM

I have to pull the microwave out to get to the inverter board, major undertaking.  Before I went further into job I wanted authorization for added charges to remove.  Control board access was from front of M/W so I was able to access most of the limits & controls.   Magnetron & inverter are in back of cabinet where the cabinet needs to be pulled off.   Still waiting on authorization.  Mean while renter has no microwave.

IgonFishn

#8 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 02:47 PM

Update:   Control Board did not cure the F7 code, in fact it shows up after 3 seconds of run instead of the original 8-9 seconds.   I remeasured the voltage thru the relay on the new board I have 120vac.   So I went To check for voltage at the PCBA, pin 23-3 to pin 23-2.  I have 5VDC with MW off.  I again tried to check voltage with MW on in the 3 seconds I have.  The best I can tell I have 5VDC Not the 2.4VDC I am suppose to have.

I ordered an inverter board, while waiting on the delivery I researched some more & other  MW's that have an inverter problem the recommendation is to change the Magnetron also.   The reasoning is that the mag is getting weak taking the inverter out.

Any other opinions & experience is greatly appreciated.   I am going to order a magnetron tomorrow,   I do not want to go thru the hassle of pulling the oven down & have to do it a second time.     

All the Veterans have a nice Veterans day.   

IgonFishn

#9 Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:01 PM

if your asking what I think ?

I would have never touched it in the first place , when the inverter microwave first came out i was willing and able, ready to go ......after all how bad can they be ?

then i lost money

then i gained money

then i lost

and lost

and lost

and gained

and lost again

then i gave up and told them to call sears if they wanted it fixed , and why i don't work on them anymore

every single one understands and replaced the microwave , with a new one . EVERY SINGLE ONE !

the customer is not as dumb as he looks sometime

Edited by Cactus Bob, 10 November 2013 - 04:03 PM.

SORRY ABOUT THE SPELLING , I FIX GREAT , I DON'T SPELL WELL

#10 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:38 PM

Customer already agreed to pay more than new to repair it.

1. It is built in...Can be replaced
  2. Do not make this particular model anymore...can be replaced
  3. Model that is recommended to replace this particular unit has a terrible tract rating for repair problems...rated 1 star out of 5.  Why replace with a worst one.
  4. It is part of a matching kitchen set.
  5. The price to replace is almost close to $500 not including installation cost.
  6. Owner is out of country, house is rented, Wants MW repaired & stay matching
  7. Owner has dealt with Sears before,  does not care for them,, wants a local boy to repair
  8. Most important, going to pay my quote.

Something I excel in great old fashion hometown service.   I give the customer what they want.   I explained up front that microwaves are not worth fixing sometimes.   This customer wants me to make it good again.       I have been able to repair more than a few built in microwaves and make money.

So can you help me with my original question?   Think positive never negative.     Tight lines

if your asking what I think ?

I would have never touched it in the first place , when the inverter microwave first came out i was willing and able, ready to go ......after all how bad can they be ?

then i lost money

then i gained money

then i lost

and lost

and lost

and gained

and lost again

then i gave up and told them to call sears if they wanted it fixed , and why i don't work on them anymore

every single one understands and replaced the microwave , with a new one . EVERY SINGLE ONE !

the customer is not as dumb as he looks sometime

Yes I did ask you for your thoughts.  thank you very much Cactus Bob.     I have turned away more MW ovens than I have repaired.   

This is what the customer wants so I do my best to comply.   Bad habit of mine,  stubbornness.

IgonFishn

#11 Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:15 PM

sorry about how that last post sounded , just a reaction , nothing else

i do want you to win this one , i never want anyone to loose

so we continue

you replaced the control board , now your replaceing the inverter board , that should be it

i have never heard that a weak magntron can cause any failure

i was told years ago that magntrons cannot get weak , it's a work 100% or 0% and nothing in between

what i have seen over the years supports this

that said if i was you .....there is a lot of money into this , you just can't fail at this point ...... get a magntron and be done with it , think of it as insurance

SORRY ABOUT THE SPELLING , I FIX GREAT , I DON'T SPELL WELL

#12 Strathy

Strathy

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:22 PM

I don't think I've had anything on that unit that was NOT an inverter or mag ... and I always change the mag and inverter at the same time.  They work together, and while I suspect that loose connections at the mag are causing the inverters to burn out, if there has been weird voltages and amps flowing through both, I change both.  On this unit, I almost always preorder a mag and inverter.  Got stung the 1st couple of these that I serviced by changing only one of those two - now I just do both.

#13 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:09 AM

I already planned on replacing both,  Just wanted others opinion on this pickle.   By the way Cactus Bob, I got another call on a built in MW that is not heating.    I gave them a rough estimate on different scenario's   & a $130+ diagnostic charge alone if I have to pull it down.   Potential customer is going to get back with me.   How does that sound?  :thumbsup:

IgonFishn

#14 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:55 PM

Received the inverter & magnetron, installed today.   

Have a system to pull MW down.  I put a child's floor mat on the stove.  Place a 1/4" 2' X 4' plywood on top of that, it straddles the stove resting on the counter tops.   A stable platform.  I put a foldout step platform on top of that, a platform the size of a large MW that is less than a foot from the bottom of MW.   Use a couple more of floor mats to decrease the distance.   I then shim up the balance of distance with cedar fence planks cut into 6 inch squares.  Just a matter of uninstalling the vent pipe & backing out the hanging hardware.  Pull shims one at a time until MW is low enough to lift out & place on table.    I can dismount & remount MW around 30 minutes total.

Magnetron was fried at the emitter end, actually melted.   Inverter was working, I replaced it any way.   Fuses were all good.   What would cause the mag to breakdown like that?   A lot of screws in this particular MW holding it together.

IgonFishn

#15 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:58 PM

... I put a child's floor mat on the stove. 

... Place a 1/4" 2' X 4' plywood on top of that,

... I put a foldout step platform on top of that,.  

... Use a couple more of floor mats to decrease the distance.  

... I then shim up the balance of distance with cedar fence planks cut into 6 inch squares.

pictures ? :wink:

#16 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:11 PM

Still have not figured how to get pictures from camera to post.   Files are always to big.

IgonFishn

#17 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:32 PM

post them to some other photo sharing website,

then post the links here

#18 Strathy

Strathy

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:11 PM

Doesn't that MW just swing down on two hooks on the backing plate?  Or is it mounted different?  If so, I just pull the stove out of the way ... hold it up with my shoulder while power drilling out the mounting screws .... let it swing down into my arms like a big load of firewood and lift it off and away.  I thought that's how everyone did these ... 

#19 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:06 AM

Don't want to pull stove out, ie, mark up floor, wiring unplug hassel, dirt, grease.   Not able to reach above to unscrew bolts.   Don't have to maneuver weight off shoulder.  Can see what I am doing, etc,

Bottom line: to each there own.

IgonFishn

#20 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,790 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:46 AM

Repair may not last long if you didn't inspect the wave guide, lots of times if the magtube antenna is melted you also will have a damaged wave guide which will be causing the new mag to burn up in a short amount of time, (I haven't any idea or clue how long you can expect a new one to last if the wave guide is damaged and a new magtube is installed).

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: F2 service code

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics