Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool Refrigerator ED5VHEXVB04

Erratic cooling

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Home brewed ice tea

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:32 AM

Best I can understand from elderly client that her refrigerator is 2 years old & it seems to get stuck in defrost while compressor runs constantly.  Says it will freeze then start defrosting & not get cold again for a long time.   Tells me that compressor is running.   I see that this unit has a electronic control instead of a timer.   Hopefully it has a tech sheet somewhere.   Any pointers on where to start greatly appreciated.

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:44 AM

similar parts

same tech sheets

http://appliantology...and-parts-list/

Whirlpool Fridge

ED5VHEXVB01
ED5VHEXVQ01
ED5VHEXVL01

Repair Part List - W10242505
Service and Wiring Sheet - W10207987

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:03 PM

Normally I love mechanical controls but this thermostat P/N 2198202 has been a fast moving part for the Whirlpool SxS.  Try a forced defrost mode to check ADC.  If the unit is idle when you arrive, rap on the control panel.  If the unit starts, replace the thermostat.

#4 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:23 PM

Compressor fan & evaporator fans are running.   Compressor head is tom hot to touch, condenser blocked,   condenser fan seems lazy.   Compressor will kick on pulling 24 amps for 10-15 seconds then overload kicks out.    Checked compressor pins for continuity, they all add up correctly.   No pin to ground shorts.   Relay rattles when shaken.

Relay Bad?  Compressor after several minutes will kick back in pulling 24 amps for the 10 seconds & kick back out.   Relay Bad?   new relay overload kick will make it work again?

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

#5 Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:53 PM

Patricio : I have to ask , who are you ? do you have a business where your main income is repairing appliances ?

or are you like a handy man that does everything , and your trying to break into appliance repair ?

it's fine if your new , everybody starts somewhere

please don't take this wrong but you removed the PTC control , shook it , heard it , put it back on, left the customers home and came here to ask us what you should do .

as a contrast , our vans have a whole shelf put aside for relay kits , 3&1 kits , overloads and the like , it's one of our fastest selling products

PS : please get back to that fridge and install a new PTC relay before you loose creditably with the homeowner

PS PS : PDuff is right , that thermostat is a real dog , if your going to be doing appliance repair , keep one on hand you will sell it

Edited by Cactus Bob, 02 October 2013 - 02:11 PM.

SORRY ABOUT THE SPELLING , I FIX GREAT , I DON'T SPELL WELL

#6 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:11 PM

http://www.repaircli...R=154&N=1481748

Relay-and-Overload-Kit-W10189190-0121247

and for future use....

build a Compressor Test Cord

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#7 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:16 PM

http://www.repaircli...R=154&N=1481748

Relay-and-Overload-Kit-W10189190-0121247

and for future use....

build a Compressor Test Core

Thank you Reg, as usual you are phenomenal.

I have an appliance parts store in my backyard that did not have a relay in stock,  So I do not feel bad about not having one in stock on my truck. I will have a couple tomorrow. 

Refrigerators are not big on  my service work, they do not break down around here as much in a big city,   I may not have the experience as those formally trained,  that is one of many reasons I frequent  this site.  I absorb everything, not ashamed or embarrassed to ask even stupid questions here.   I know everyone has been ate up with a case of the dumbass more than once & everybody had to learn what they know somewhere.

What I have read is 3 in 1 kits are not kosher, manufacturers recommend against using them.

Mr. Cactus Bob, I thank you for your input.  How I do my business is my business, by the way I have a 5 star rating,   This is my community that I am a part of, My reputation is growing leaps & bounds.  There are very few techs around this area, What I hear from my customers they don't care for the more experienced, they like my style.  I am not a prickly pear.

I have other sources of income that does provide my families health insurance, but I derive more income and satisfaction from appliance service.  O yea, I also do mechanic work, home repair, small engine repair,  I kinda stay busy all the time & still find time to kayak & fish.   Handyman, yea I do that also. 

Also farmed organically for 30 some years,  Been to almost every state in the union, to the far East, Mexico, Bermuda,  Raised 3 young men, a beautiful daughter,  & have at last count 5 grandchildren.  I have also lawyered for my self, traffic tickets & such & even a class A misdemeanor charge.  Shall I go on, I've been told many times to write a book.

Did I mention I earned a BS degree in Agriculture while raising my children & farming & working at other jobs & ...

Have I got a lot to learn, you bet.  You all can either help me learn or not, I take criticism in stride,  constructive works better than pessimistic.  Peace  :thumbsup:

IgonFishn

#8 Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:31 PM

Patriricio: please don't mind me , sometimes i forget where i am ......

I own ( with my son , his wife , and my retired Dad ) The largest resale appliance store in Tempe Arizona

we service the area in and around ASU (Arizona State University ) , most of the dorm rooms , apartments ,rentals in the area

i have spent my whole life around refrigeration and appliances

most of my days are taken up with return service calls(where the appliance has failed again) and keeping other people in line , my style is a little rough , but i get things done

before i wrote the comment above i was freaking out about a part that should have been ordered last monday , by a tec. yet nobody knew where it was or where the part was ordered from , so 6 calls later i found that it was priced but not ordered , now i have a homeowner with no fridge and i have to call him and explain how we dropped the ball

so i came on here to relax , and i wrote the comment above ..........for that i am sorry

next time i have a bad day i will do my best not to come on here and spread it around

#9 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:02 AM

On my service van , I carry about 20 different start packs..( plus a few 3-N-1's  ).............( Just  cuz there is a lot of different start packs)...........I do not want to return to stick on a 45 Clam part............If I run across  a start pack that I have not used before, I order two, One to fix -it and one to become truck stock...............Yes it does account for a part not used for a few years, but it does pan out in the end.............And if you know most P.T.C  relays are rated by BTUH / H.P.   you can almost find an equal in the truck stock to work......( 600 to around 1000 B.T.U.H.....or use cubic foot/size ).....

#10 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:21 AM

Hey Cactus, Phoenix (visited a few times)  is huge area compared to mine.  Most of my calls are within 5 miles of my home, this one was 4 blocks over & I came home for lunch.  I am very fortunate to have a HVAC/appliance parts house so close.   I learn every day.  Electricity & electronics has always give me problems keeping straight.  I don't understand why, my mechanic understanding is a breeze, & 2 of my sons deal with electronics everyday, one having an Texas A & M electrical degree.

Thank you for trying to understand me, I also have my difficult moments that tend to want to eat me up.   Especially thank you for sharing your professional experience with everybody.  I believe that if I post what I experience maybe someone else will be able to use that.   My goal is to be at least half as good as you are, When I get there I will push my standards even higher.   Patricio  :thanks:  :thumbsup:

PS:  CTG51, I am trying to stock an extra every time I order something I don't have.

Edited by Patricio, 03 October 2013 - 05:24 AM.

IgonFishn

#11 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:17 AM

If the relay that is on the unit is the same as that replacement listed above from RepairClinic, then you don't have a PTC relay it is one of the new TSD - time delay models and the rattle you hear may not be the standard rattle of a blown up PTC pellet with little sandy gains falling out, (the two or three of these that I have had all have just a real slight rattle of the overload or possible capacitor terminals in the case).

The 24 amps for 10 seconds tells me in-fact it is one of the new TSD relays, the way they normally fail is to not drop out the start windings, (unlike the PTC relays that when the PTC pill blows up it only tries to start on the run windings so won't even turn the compressor over and will draw a much lower amp - more like around 8-10 amps), so you get that very high amp draw for 10 to 12 seconds and the compressor is actually running and compressing for that 10 to 12 seconds.  If it has been doing this for some time you might even have a sweaty evaporator with a 50 to 55 degree freezer temp.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#12 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:32 PM

So that means the relay is still toast?    On my way to install new one.  will update.   The new relay rattles.

IgonFishn

#13 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:47 PM

Well relay does not cure problem.    Compressor is cold, has not been on since yesterday.   Hear the relay start compressor for several seconds pulling 13.5 amps now and after a few seconds 10 at most, overload kicks it out.   Compressor & evaporator fan run.

Backing up to yesterday, fans were running refrigerator had been defrosting for a day.  Customer said that unit went into defrost once before then got cold again.   Condenser fan looks lazy, condenser coil was very dirty, so I vacuumed & air pressured it clean.

Could hear the compressor relay kick in & out when I got the back off.   Checked amp draw & then relay.  & here I am now. Stumped.  What could be pulling the amperage. bad compressor, sealed system restriction or even mentioned thermostat.   As always Help.

IgonFishn

#14 Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:01 PM

so , it must be a bad compressor , rare but it does happen

there was no way you could have known it was bad without replacing the start relay

this is where a 1/4-1/3 three in one and a power cord(an old vcr ,or tv power cord is fine) would come in handy , with these you could have make up a test cord , connect the 3&1 to the compressor and just plug it into an outlet , bypassing everything in the fridge and just checking the compressor , if it ran great , great .  if not you would not be out anything

the 3&1 test cord is the cheepest option , but the proper tool is an "annie" this is a tool i have but rarely use anymore , because the test cord is just easy and small   . both of these "tools" let you test the compressor safely , with built in overloads

PS : I need to ask , is this fridge on any type of extension cord or power strip ?

you lazy fan motor may just be that the compressor trying to start is drawing down the voltage and what you see a slow motor , or an extension cord may do the same thing

#15 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:46 PM

Thank you much Cactus Bob.  Not plugged to any external device, straight from power cord to wall receptacle.   I have a couple of 3 in 1's start for  different motor HPs  but after reading warnings online I am a little afraid I might do damage. I also have a ultimate series to use with units with or without  run capacitor.  Not real sure how to wire this one up either.

Which brings up another question.  This compressor has a relay kit & a Production capacitor for replacement parts.    When I replaced the relay kit it did not come with a capacitor replacement so I used the original  Could this capacitor be at fault possibly.  How would I test it, like any other motor capacitor.

IgonFishn

#16 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:42 AM

"" Let me give you a nickels worth of free advice, Stay away from Doc. Brown "........Patrico, in your small plastic tub of used parts/do-dads and  why am I   carrying this thing ??????........There should be a start cap or two, a refer/freezer and a washer  motor.....................Make a Three-N-One Start unit...................I use a Supco RCO 810....................good for 1/12 to 1/5 H.P compressors, (most home refer/freezer size )........ I install the tester and  install a clamp-on amp. meter  ( common lead ) and plug the tester in while watching the reading on the meter ( I.E. ....21 amps and the overload cycles, could be a mechanical failure )......Scrape up some funds and get your self a Supco Meg-0-Meter.......It will test if the winding have/ are  failing..........Do not worry to much about the use of a 3-n-1, go back thru some of the post on the uses of a 3-n-1 ............I have installed them on units will not start on the O.E.M. start paks,  but will start and run on the correct size of the 3-n-1....Some are still operating years later.............Hope you can fix-it.. :thumbsup: .

#17 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:55 AM

With my limited experience with refrigerators I dare to say that refrigerator has been acting up (customer input) a lot lately this last time they waited 2 days before calling someone.    I believe that the compressor with the blocked/dirty condenser coil finally over heated to the extent of seizing up. The pin continuity passing muster did not indicate a failed motor.   In the next couple of days I will be making a 3 in 1 test  cord to use in diagnostics.

The customer has never liked this refrigerator & opted to purchase a 'Sears' refrigerated.

IgonFishn

#18 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:57 AM

Don't ya hate it, just when you are winning the battle , the customer sez  " Forgetaboutit,   I'm gonna go get me a Sears refer, they make the best ones"...........Hope you can collect for all the work you did... :thumbsup: .."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Erratic cooling

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics