Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore dryer 970-C81062-00 timer doesn't advance (&service manual?)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 slantsixdan

slantsixdan

Sōhei

• Scholar of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:17 AM

Model 970-C81062-00

Serial XD13107478

Built 8/01

Turns on, heats up, dries clothes -- but the timer doesn't advance no matter whether an automatic or timed cycle is selected. My guess is the timer motor's shot…yes?

Could do with a service manual for this one, too, please and thanks kindly.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:49 AM

If the Timer Motor down't advance in the Timed Dry cycle ..

bad Timer

(should have 120v at Timer Motor Wires)

http://www.repaircli...?R=154&N=890102

Timer-131789200--00874200.jpg

http://appliantology...-970-c81062-00/

Frigidaire Dryer Kenmore
970-C81062-00

95353595 parts
134060300e wiring

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 slantsixdan

slantsixdan

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:54 AM

Thanks kindly! (I wait for file approval, yes?)

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:58 AM

yes, but service manual is "live"

http://appliantology...obs-5995373155/

Frigidaire Electrolux Dryer w/ knobs 5995373155
c. 2002

#5 slantsixdan

slantsixdan

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:29 PM

Got it, thanks. In checking more carefully, I find I was wrong: it's only on the automatic cyclies that the timer doesn't advance. On a timed cycle it does advance. The manual you linked has flowcharts to cover this possibility, but I'm not certain whether the 970-C81062-00 does or doesn't have an electronic moisture sensor. Derp! I are all smart and stuff! Not only can I identify the moisture sensor strips below the air grate, but I can also read the front of the dryer where it says "Electronic Moisture Sensing"! aHyuck! Sheesh.

Guessing probably a dead moisture sensor; will put my DMM across it and see what I find.

Edited by slantsixdan, 02 October 2013 - 03:06 PM.

#6 slantsixdan

slantsixdan

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:20 PM

I removed the moisture sensor, disconnected its two red wires, and measured the following:

Across the moisture sensor's terminals: Open

Across the moisture sensor's terminals with a wet rag placed on its two bars: 5 MΩ to 10 MΩ (depending on how wet the rag was)

Across the two red wires: 3 MΩ to 4 MΩ

The service manual's kind of vague in this area; what do these readings tell us?

(I also did clean a giant wodge of tightly compacted lint out from between the moisture sensor and the sheetmetal)

Thanks, all.

#7 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:47 PM

In Auto-Dry mode, the Timer Motor won't get power to advance, if the Dryness Board thinks the clothes are still wet.
Seems like a bad Board
http://www.repaircli...R=154&N=1014355
Dryness-Control-Board-134216300--0123756

#8 slantsixdan

slantsixdan

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:37 PM

Thanks. Looks like I got lucky this time -- with the lintbrick safely sequestered in the tank of my vacuum cleaner and the sensor reinstalled, the timer's now advanced properly through three actual, real loads of actual, real wet --> --> --> dry laundry in a row. A fluke? A short across the sensor due to a piece of tinsel or suchlike in the accumulated lintbrick? Divine intervention? Donno, but at least for the moment it's stopped me needing to buy any new parts, thus decreasing my contribution to keeping the economy rolling, which means it must be Obama's fault or something. ;-)

#9 MicaBay

MicaBay

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:40 AM

Thanks. Looks like I got lucky this time -- with the lintbrick safely sequestered in the tank of my vacuum cleaner and the sensor reinstalled, the timer's now advanced properly through three actual, real loads of actual, real wet --> --> --> dry laundry in a row. A fluke? A short across the sensor due to a piece of tinsel or suchlike in the accumulated lintbrick? Divine intervention? Donno, but at least for the moment it's stopped me needing to buy any new parts, thus decreasing my contribution to keeping the economy rolling, which means it must be Obama's fault or something. ;-)

Also a good maintence act, is taking a green scrub pad to the surface of those sensor bars. They tend to get coated with fabric softener over time. When they be coated, they won't sense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics