Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Dishwasher 587.14409400 not cleaning well - Continued

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 SteverinoR

SteverinoR

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:12 PM

(Sorry to start a new thread, but I had all kinds of issues logging in).

My daughter's dishwasher still doesn't clean well.

I checked the filters, checked for blockage in the spray arms, and checked the water levels. They all appear to be ok.

I confirmed that my daughter was using the correct amount of soap, the dishes weren't overly dirty when going into the dishwasher, etc.

However, I checked the water temperature and found that after filling the water was only slightly warm. I used the Hi Temp Wash button. According to the manual:

"When HI-TEMP WASH ON option is selected, the dishwasher heats the water in the main wash to approximately 140°F (60°C). Wash action will continue but timer will not advance until proper temperature is reached."

This does not appear to be happening. Wash immediately starts after filling is complete. The water doesn't heat, nor does the unit appear to be waiting for the temperature to get to 140F. The dishes are hot when the drying cycle is done so the heat coil seems to be working.

Bad switch? Control Board?

I appreciate your help!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:00 PM

http://appliantology...enmore-5871440/

Frigidaire DishWasher
Kenmore

5995491064 parts
672060709962 tech

similar to
http://appliantology...asher-fmb330rg/
Frigidaire DishWasher FMB330RG
2007 18 Inch Built-In Dishwasher

FMB330RGB0
FMB330RGC0
FMB330RGS0

service manual
467_10.pdf

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 SteverinoR

SteverinoR

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:17 AM

When I click on the link I am told that I do not have permission to access it.

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 05 October 2013 - 08:59 AM

... sorry, not for grasshoppers

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,031 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:53 PM

Become an Apprentice:  http://apprentice.appliantology.org/

#6 micabay

micabay

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:36 AM

Are you runnin the hot water to the sink before you start the dishwasher? Same idea as running the shower before you get in. You don't turn the water on and get in right away, wait untill it is warm/hot.

#7 SteverinoR

SteverinoR

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:29 PM

The water is actually not very warm which is why the Water Heat option is used. But it doesn't appear to be working.

#8 micabay

micabay

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:06 PM

Do you have one of those "eco friendly" water on demand hotwater heaters?  if not, run the water at the sink until it is hot, too hot for your skin, before starting the dishwasher.  The in sides of this machine may need cleaned by taking apart and sucked out with a wet vac.  Clean the wash arms of crud by running some water into it and shaking it out, repeat until clean.  Same goes with any screens.  

No dishwasher is designed to have cold water enter it and heat it from that cold to hot hot.  You will continue to have washability issues until the hot water issue is resolved.  They are hooked up to hot water because that is what they were designed for.... 

Random last question, is it hooked up to hot water? (It should be)  One of my companies accounts (400-500 units) recently discovered a good chunk were hooked up to the cold side.  All had been replaced multiply times due to washability issues (before we came into the picture)... all due to a bad plumber during the build.... it happends.

Edited by micabay, 07 October 2013 - 10:08 PM.

#9 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:04 PM

If the unit heats during the dry cycle then the heater, operating and hi limit thermostats should be ok.  Mechanical timer should be ok so there's a good chance it's the option switch.  Using the wiring diagram check continuity of the contacts when each button is pressed.

Concur with Brother micabay about running the hot water at the sink.  Most dishwashers require a minimum incoming water temperature of at least 120 degrees to ensure washability.

#10 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:on the house...

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:35 PM

(Sorry to start a new thread, but I had all kinds of issues logging in).

The water doesn't heat, nor does the unit appear to be waiting for the temperature to get to 140F.

Unit has a normally open thermostat inline with the timer motor. if this was stuck shut, the timer would bypass the wait for the water to heat, but the heater may still work during the dry cycle...

(somebody correct me if I am wrong).

Edited by Chat_in_FL, 08 October 2013 - 05:36 PM.

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics