Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Help repairing old flooded Kenmore Gas Dryer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JWD

JWD

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:22 PM

Laundry room got flooded and the old kenmore gas dryer (model 11097278800 ) stopped running completely. Not even a buzz when I started it.

I replaced the motor and now the dryer runs but does not heat up. I need some help figuring out the next steps and picking what else to replace. I'd like to order all the parts at once so I hope I'm not leaving anything out.

I removed the bottom front panel and ran the dryer and noticed that the igniter did not glow. That's going to get replaced.

I disconnected the wiring harness where the two wires that come from the back connect to the two wires that power the heating components. Voltage read 120V while the dryer was on a hot cycle. I think that means all the components accessible on the back of the dryer (thermal fuse and thermostat) are all working fine. Correct?

Any problems I'm having should be around the burner if that's right. The glow bar igniter (279311) obviously needs to be replaced. The two solenoids (694540) may be fine but I'm planning to replace them because they're cheap and might as well. Then there's this little black box on the outside of the cone that surrounds the burn chamber on the left. I think that's the radiant sensor (338906). Part #9 on this diagram http://c.searspartsd...61844-00003.png The scale of the cone threw me off at first.

Am I leaving anything out? Anything else I should consider or test?

Thanks.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:orange juice

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:07 PM

If you are getting 110 at the two wires coming into the burner then you definitely have it covered.  You may however not need to buy all those parts.  You can check continuity on the igniter to see if it's good.  You can also check the black sensor by checking continuity on it at the contacks where the two wires go.  You should have continuity on them when it is cold.  If not then short the two wires that go to it together and see if the rest of the burner works.  It should light up the igniter and the the valve should buzz.  When the igniter gets nice and hot seperate the wires you shorted together that went to the sensor and the burner should light.  If it does then all you need is the sensor.  If not then you may need to replace the solenoids as well.  Of course if money is no problem, replace them all.  If however you want to just get it working then you can check the individual components in the above manner.  Any problems with checking it just post questions here and we will help.  Hope this helps.

#3 Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:30 PM

let me be the wet blanket here ........the gas valve .....you are going to put a gas valve you know was under water back into service ?

it might work fine for years , or it may leak gas in 6 months and blow your house off it's foundation, there's no way to know

with all the money your spending on this dryer , i wonder whats the point ?

around here dryers are a dime a dozen ( well about $75.00 for a good used one ) and it's working,and most likely safe !

if we had it and we knew it was flooded ........right to scrap not even save any parts

SORRY ABOUT THE SPELLING , I FIX GREAT , I DON'T SPELL WELL

#4 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:10 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot you are in the US.  Down here in the 3rd world we fix everything.  Just because it was wet doesn't mean it was ruined.  I also don't have the burden of a law suit being down here.  I get your perspective and if I was in the US I would also probably walk away from this.  If it was mine however, I would fix it. 

#5 Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:22 AM

electro-doc : it's no so much as the chance of a law suit , that chance is low

it's the availabillity of used , like new appliances

here in the USA we waste so much , a dryer is junk when it's matching washer make it's first "funny" noise

I turn away hundreds of good used appliances every year , just because i can't move that much in sales

few people want a used washer/dryer , even when it comes with a one year free replacement if for ANY reason your unhappy and costs you half of what a new one would !  I still have trouble moving them !

everybody wants the latest thing !

i would love to be more like your country , and not waste nearly so much , our landfills would be much smaller , but the reality is when i see a dryer out for the trash i don't even stop to pick it up anymore

SORRY ABOUT THE SPELLING , I FIX GREAT , I DON'T SPELL WELL

#6 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:56 AM

Wow!  Down here a used dryer sells for as much as a new one in the states.  I could sell your used washers and dryers down here for $300 all day long.  I can see your point but this guy wants to fix his.  Why bust his bubble, let him have his day in the sun.  I love fixing stuff, it's what I get up in the morning for.  Something new every day.  Keeps life interesting.  I'm just trying to shed a little light on his dilemma.  I do see your point and thanks for sharing it.  I agree it is a shame to see all that stuff go into the landfill.  My motto was always, why buy a new one when we can fix yours.  Down here that's how it is.  It does pay to fix it.  Glad I'm here too.  Thanks again for sharing.

#7 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:56 AM

...  I agree it is a shame to see all that stuff go into the landfill. 

Watch It Shred: Refrigerators

and it looks like the rows are at least 5-deep

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#8 J5

J5

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:21 AM

having seen washers go underwater and a few days later you can see all the rust appearing

its not worth the time, money and hassle

it will break down in the future

#9 JWD

JWD

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:12 PM

Thank you everyone for the input. Sorry it took so long to reply as I was scrambling around to try and find a good deal on a replacement and to see if I could return the motor.

It's a shame. I like to fix things and this was my first major appliance repair. Was stoked that the drum started spinning again and feels wrong to not complete it but don't want to deal with a potential gas problem down the road.

Managed to get a very sweet deal on a discontinued floor model dryer that wasn't too much more than the repair parts would have been if I replaced the gas valve and it's a much better dryer than I have now and has great reviews. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics