Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

wiring a 5 pole motor from old maytag into a maytag motor that had 7 poles

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 neworldman

neworldman

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:landshark

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:26 PM

Samurai,

I had an older maytag top load washer that I removed the motor from and installed it into a newer Maytag top loader (PAVT234AWW).

The motor has the following color codes: BK, WH, BU, RD, YL 

It also has a terminal labeled "3" but it is empty on top and the bottom runs into the motor

The washer has the following wires in the group of wires coming down from the timer: grn/blk, yel, blu, wht/yel, wht, red

And also a grn body ground that actually ran to one of the 7 terminals on the replaced motor.

So that actually covers one of the seven. Puts me down to 6.

I have the following connections:

wht/yel -  BK

wht - WH

blu - BU

red - RD

yel - YL

That leaves the grn/blk wire unconnected. 

When I turn on the washer the only function is agitate. It wont spin. So I am guessing that the grn/blk went to a separate contact that reversed the polarity. I cant figure out how to connect it to this motor.

I have a couple pics if you want them. I am not sure they will help.

After going blind searching for the wiring diagrams from both units and trying my best to decipher them, I am struggling.

Thank you in advance,

Neworldman

(Fred)

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:03 PM

old Washer model number ?

OR old Motor part number ?

What's wrong with the PAVT234AWW Motor ?

PAVT234AWW Motor is 2-speed

My have to tie the Washer grn/blk, to yel,

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:39 PM

grn/blk is for low speed operation. You have installed a single speed motor in place of a two speed one and I suspect the older single speed motor has a completely different wiring color code and you have it improperly wired. The PAVT234 operates both agitation and spin in normal speed in the regular cycle selection so the grn/blk wire is not the problem if your no spin problem is in regular cycle. What is the model number of the washer you got the motor from?

Eric

#4 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:23 AM

I believe you have an older single speed motor from a dependable care model. If that is the case, here is how it should be wired if you really want to use it.

Existing wiring              Motor switch

white                            black

white/yellow                    white

yellow                           red

blue                             blue

red                             yellow

There's no point in connecting the green/black wire as you don't have low speed on this motor however you could connect it to red on the motor switch along with yellow (existing wiring) to allow use of delicate and perm press cycles but it will only operate in high speed.

The 3 terminal on the switch is the other side of the start winding coming out from motor to internal contacts of the motor switch.

Eric

#5 neworldman

neworldman

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:55 AM

Thank you guys for the info. I have wired it as directed. No luck. It will agitate but will not spin or drain. Actually it will slightly spin but very slow.

I assume that the pump and spin function together when the motor turns in reverse direction. Is this true?

Nonetheless, Still not functioning correctly.

Here is the info requested:

The PAVT234AWW motor was removed and while I was debating on rebuilding it, it was mistakenly scrapped.

I do not know the model# of the unit the motor came from however the Motor part # is 5KH41ET63AS

There are more numbers on the motor but i think that is the one you need.

I really can't afford to buy a new motor and would hate to lose out on the nice Maytag. I can live with one speed but Hopefully we can get this motor wired up.

#6 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:15 AM

Yes, that is a single speed motor from an old dependable care washer. It should work if wired as indicated. Will the motor run in spin direction ok with belt removed?

Added: Stop the washer in agitation cycle, reverse the blue and red wires at motor switch. Turn washer back on (don't rotate dial). If it won't drain/spin normally, the problem is not the motor or it's wiring.

Edited by fairbank56, 10 October 2013 - 12:11 PM.

#7 neworldman

neworldman

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:07 PM

Just to verify.. when you say spin direction, you mean reverse motor direction of when it agitates. Correct?
In that direction fhe pump should function too, correct?

#8 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:31 PM

yes

#9 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:12 PM

... It will agitate but will not spin or drain. Actually it will slightly spin but very slow.

aaahhh . not mentioned previously

Is the Motor slow ?

OR just the Basket ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics