Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag MLE2000AYW Stack W/D, Dryer Won't Start

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jamichau

jamichau

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Alaskan Amber

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:14 PM

The title pretty much says it.  I can hear the timer clicking away, but the dryer won't start, washer is fine.  This unit is 12 years old.  We hang a lot of laundry to dry, but put it in the dryer for a few minutes first to get the wrinkles out.  Then we hang a couple items at time, turning the dryer back on each time to keep the clothes spinning and un-wrinkled, so the dryer has been re-started thousands of times.  I'm not sure if it could be the button itself or whatever electronic device actually starts the dryer.  Any diagnostic suggestions will be greatly appreciated.  Please include a little instruction with suggested diags, as I ain't no appliance guru.  Thanks very much, in advance,

-J

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 jamichau

jamichau

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:21 PM

A little added info: I can sometimes get it to start by opening the dryer door, holding down the start button and closing the door with the button still depressed.  I don't know whether that makes any difference in diagnosis, but wanted to include it.  Thanks.

#3 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:orange juice

Posted 06 October 2013 - 04:10 PM

sounds like it could be the door switch.  Take the top loose and check the door switch for continuity.  Unplug the unit first and if necessary take out the switch to check it.  It usually has just two screws holding it in.  That could be the suspect.  If that checks ok the go to the start switch and check it.  Same deal, the switch should be open until you push it or turn it, it then makes contact to start the motor.  Either one of these could be the problem.

#4 jamichau

jamichau

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 05:54 PM

OK.  Is the door switch the one that controls the internal light?  If so, the light is turning on and off with operation of the switch.  Is that any indicator as to the health of the switch, or should it still be metered?  Thanks for the help,

-J

#5 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:54 PM

It's a two way switch.  when you open the door the light goes on and the dryer won't run.  when you close the door the light goes off and the switch makes contact to run the dryer.  It is possible the switch works the light and is making good contact for the motor to run.  I'd check it and the on switch.  When you said you sometimes get it to run when you slam the door shut makes me think something is loose and by jolting the dryer it makes the connection needed to run. The jolting however could be other things.  A bad contact in the timer for instance.   Maybe a stuck motor switch (unlikely) but just saying.  It's not easy to get to the things to check them on these stack jobs.  I really don't like working on them. 

#6 jamichau

jamichau

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:04 PM

Thanks, Doc.  OK, I'll have my Dad test the switches (retired electrician).  When I get the dryer to run by closing the door with the start switch depressed, I don't have to slam it.  It might be complete coincidence, because my daughter just put a load in the dryer and it started normally.  Hmmm.  I hear ya on the stack being a pain, but it fit our situation - we have the world's smallest laundry room.  Thanks again,

-J

#7 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:44 PM

good luck, sounds like a switch or a loose or maybe corroded connection.  Be persistent, you will figure it out!

#8 jamichau

jamichau

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:05 AM

Well, Ikko-ikki and Doc were right, the door switch ("Normally Closed" leg, I think) was bad.  Switch replaced, dryer operating normally.  Thanks to all for the help.  Talk to ya next emergency.

-J

#9 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,046 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:50 AM

Door switch part link:  http://www.repaircli...mber=MLE2000AYW

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics