Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE refrigerator troubleshoot help

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 scconsulting

scconsulting

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:tequila

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:19 PM

Previously, with everything assembled a couple of nights ago, the only noise was the very quiet hum of the big fan on the end of the condenser core.  When I jumped the j8 and j11 legs I heard a click, either from the relay or somewhere on the motherboard (I couldn't tell which).   I just sat there a couple of minutes and reached over to see if I could feel any vibration on the compressor housing and it was not vibrating or anything, but it was hot to the touch.  I'm assuming that if the compressor was running I would know it because it would be significantly louder than the little fan spinning, but I don't remember the last time I noticed what the sound of the compressor was, it's just one of those ambient sounds that eventually I tuned out. 

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#22 scconsulting

scconsulting

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:59 AM

Reassembled everything last night.  Both sides started cooling right away.  The compressor is definitely running (it is so quiet that you almost can't tell and only the faintest vibration of the housing).  After about 3 hours it was 55 degrees in both the freezer and fridge side.  Went to bed, got up this morning and it's 34 on the refrigerator side (setting is actually for 37), and 4 on the freezer side (setting is actually for 0).  When the compressor is running the compressor housing does get up to about 145-150 degrees.  I am really at a loss, should I trust it to keep functioning correctly?

#23 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,413 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:27 AM

Did you replace the ptc? Buy it from repair clinic. if it doesn't stop the problem, return it and get a board.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#24 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,835 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:35 AM

Compressor relay:  http://www.repaircli...7X10057/1091629

Main PCB:  http://www.repaircli...5X10942/1531075

#25 scconsulting

scconsulting

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:41 AM

No I didn't replace the ptc. Basically I've disassembled the ptc, overload, and run capacitor, metered them all, metered the compressor pins, and reassembled everything. Other than that all I've done is run through all the diagnostic tests from the display and forced the compressor on once by jumping the j8 and j11 pegs on the motherboard. Now that it's all back together it is running normal as far as I can tell.

#26 dimitri77565

dimitri77565

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Railean Hand Made Rum

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:53 AM

WOW you all are too technical when this happens the !st & easiest to check is Main Board,  pull out & look under main compressor relay it should be burnt or solder is tarnished.

Averages say 8-10 odds its the board.

#27 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,413 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:26 AM

WOW you all are too technical when this happens the !st & easiest to check is Main Board, pull out & look under main compressor relay it should be burnt or solder is tarnished.

Averages say 8-10 odds its the board.

In other words "here's your fish, now go away"

Lest you forget, this is a training academy. We are not here to answer and solve just one person's problem but to teach and share info to grasshoppers and masters alike.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#28 scconsulting

scconsulting

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:55 AM

The main board looks pristine, the relay a little grungy but the terminals are clean at the connection area. As if now it's functioning correctly for about 14 hours. So at this point I'm going to monitor it and wait for the defect to present itself again.

#29 dimitri77565

dimitri77565

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Railean Hand Made Rum

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:06 AM

Leave it to the Appliance Gremlin  LOl.

#30 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:20 AM

Did you pull the board and look at the back/trace side?  Front side can look fine and still have burnt/cold/broken solder connections.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics