Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore 80 series top load washer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gearbuzz

gearbuzz

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:21 PM

Please help! My Kenmore 80 series (model # 11026832691) was grinding during spin cycle. Replaced the brake and drive tube and the clutch. Disassembled the transmission completely to check for damage. Despite the fact that all internal transmission parts looked fine (nothing broken or obviously damaged), I replaced the main plastic gear and all small parts using kit #388253. Cleaned internal transmission thoroughly, refilled with new oil and replaced gasket. Reinstalled transmission and motor into unit and tested mechanism before reinstalling drum, agitator, etc. Agitate and spin cycles worked flawlessly at both speeds with no noises! Reinstalled remaining parts and tested again before turning on water. Agitate worked perfectly, but the spin cycle was grinding like crazy again! Pulled the agitator, but left drum installed to retest and visually inspect mechanism. Here's what happens: when the spin cycle begins the drum turns quietly and the drive shaft oscillates slowly as I believe it should, but once the drum builds up speed the drive shaft starts "slipping"; i.e. it spins completely around and the grinding noise follows. What am I missing???

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:38 PM

Did you replace the motor coupling?  It sounds like yours is getting ready to break. They get noisy when they are ready to break.

Scott Wolf

#3 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 07 October 2013 - 04:53 PM

post YouTube video

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#4 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,756 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:33 AM

You didn't change the original bad part in the transmission!

If when in spin the agitator shaft is moving back and forth instead of just freely spinning in the same direction the basket is spinning and able to be stopped easily by hand you have a bad agitate shift cam, (cam ramps are worn down - you can't tell by looking), the nylon cam assembly that lifts the agitate gear off the internal spines isn't lifting the gear high enough any more to clear the splines so it keeps trying to agitate while spinning, the noise is the agitate gear slipping over the top of the splines because they are only slight engaged.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#5 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:11 AM

I gave exact same advice on another forum and he has ordered the cam kit.

Eric

#6 gearbuzz

gearbuzz

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:34 AM

Thanks for the advice everyone.  I've ordered a new shift cam and will replace it.  I'll also take another look at the shift actuator, but it didn't appear to be damaged in any way.  I do know about the disc and ball bearing that reside beneath the agitator shaft and will be careful not to lose them.  I'll post the results of my handiwork and your advice as soon as I've finished.  I'm enjoying this rebuild, but my wife is losing patience!  Sorry for the overlap in forums.  I'm new to this...

p.s.  I did carefully inspect the motor coupling for cracks and wear, but it seems to be in perfect shape.

Thanks,

JP

#7 MicaBay

MicaBay

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:17 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone. I've ordered a new shift cam and will replace it. I'll also take another look at the shift actuator, but it didn't appear to be damaged in any way. I do know about the disc and ball bearing that reside beneath the agitator shaft and will be careful not to lose them. I'll post the results of my handiwork and your advice as soon as I've finished. I'm enjoying this rebuild, but my wife is losing patience! Sorry for the overlap in forums. I'm new to this...

p.s. I did carefully inspect the motor coupling for cracks and wear, but it seems to be in perfect shape.

Thanks,

JP

Tell your wife that a few patients are worth losing to repair this machine. All new machines currently on the market aren't built as strong as this one.

#8 gearbuzz

gearbuzz

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:26 AM

Last night I replaced the cam with a new one and also noticed that the shift actuator arms were not consistently engaging the cam, which may have been the major problem.  I bent the actuator arms slighly inward and this seemed to correct the shifting issue.  Reassembled the machine and now it works like a new one!  Agitate and spin perform flawlessly and quietly on all settings.  Happy, happy, happy!  Thanks again for your advice.

JP 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics