Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

WFG374LVB2 whirlpool direct spark oven lighting problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nbapeman

nbapeman

Samanera

• Professional Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:jumbo top-shelf margarita/sailor jerry & coke and ultimately Ten Cane on cubes

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:42 PM

Appliantologists,

I read the FAQ's  and the direct spark instructions in Whirlpool's sevice pointers are from 2002. This is a 2011 range.  That does not discount the early directions.  I checked the grounding on my first trip.  I'd forgotten the igniter alignment. The oven worked the whole time I was there. I was wondering if there was a new problem causing inconsistent heating and possibly new repair strategies.

Appliantologists,

I read the FAQ's  and the direct spark instructions in Whirlpool's sevice pointers are from 2002. This is a 2011 range.  That does not discount the early directions.  I checked the grounding on my first trip.  I'd forgotten the igniter alignment. The oven worked the whole time I was there. I was wondering if there was a new problem causing inconsistent heating and possibly new repair strategies.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Havoc

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:What's on tap?

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:13 AM

I checked the grounding on my first trip.  I'd forgotten the igniter alignment. The oven worked the whole time I was there. I was wondering if there was a new problem causing inconsistent heating and possibly new repair strategies.

http://www.repaircli...0331686/1937904

Sounds like a possible weak spark module from the symptoms...

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect or represent the views and opinions held by my employer. All data and information provided is for informational purposes only.

Big Brother

#3 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,007 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:06 PM

What are the symptoms, intermittent sparking or heating, and is both bake and broil affected?  I've had to replace more than a few safety valve/regulators for heating issues.

#4 vee8power

vee8power

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Folgers

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:44 AM

There are three wire terminals on the oven safety valve; the bake coil and the broil coil both need to be about 200 ohms each to the third terminal(common).

Edited by vee8power, 09 October 2013 - 06:51 AM.

#5 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Havoc

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:What's on tap?

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:47 PM

There are three wire terminals on the oven safety valve; the bake coil and the broil coil both need to be about 200 ohms each to the third terminal(common).

True, but if one of these were open, the oven would not work at all, it wouldn't be an intermittent problem. You can also measure these from the DSI board, which is a lot easier to get to (Blue, Orange, and Red).

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect or represent the views and opinions held by my employer. All data and information provided is for informational purposes only.

Big Brother

#6 aqrepairguy

aqrepairguy

IkkĊ-ikki

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Boston Lager

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:27 PM

What did you end up doing with this unit? I am having the same problem. Oven works most of the time but intermittently does not. Only malfunctions on bake.

Temp sensor checks out ok with meter
Gas valve checks out good with meter
Ground is good
Igniter clicks every time, just does not light.

The unit does not have a tech sheet so I am going with numbers that I have found on other post for checking sensor and valve.

Problem seems to be worse on lower temps.

Thanks for any help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics