Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Amana Washer making screeching sound during agitation

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DIY wannabe

DIY wannabe

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:53 PM

My Amanda washing machine (Model: LW8203W) recently started making a screeching sound during agitation. It only happens 5 or 6 times during each agitation cycle. I've never opened the front of a washer until today, so I don't really know what I'm doing, but I took the pump partially out and didn't see anything trapped in there. Any suggestions?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:02 PM

Check all the pulleys and see if they turn freely by hand, including the belt tensioner.

Scott Wolf

#3 DIY wannabe

DIY wannabe

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:14 PM

When I went to see if the belt would turn freely by hand I saw that it is very worn. It does turn freely. Could it be that the belt is slipping and causing the screeching?

#4 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,007 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:16 PM

Does it make the noise during spin?  If it does inspect the bearings below the outer tub for rust, which would indicate a hub seal leak.  If noisy only in agitation, it could be a stripped drive hub under the agitator.

#5 DIY wannabe

DIY wannabe

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:40 PM

It only makes the noise during agitation.

I'm trying to remove the agitator. I got the softener cup off. There is a tall medal post inside the agitator. Do I need to somehow unscrew that or do I just pull up on the agitator?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics