Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Burned wires in a Whirlpool dishwasher

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 foliage

foliage

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:00 PM

Hi,

I recently acquired a free Whirlpool GU1200 dishwasher, which the prior owners said worked, but wasn't cleaning well any longer. I'd like to get this DW running again. Upon closer inspection, I saw that the heater element had burned out at the spade of the element and terminal of the supply wire, as evidenced by the burned wire and nut. I have purchased a new heater element and nut and am ready to try to repair this puppy. However, I'm unsure of two things:

1. The insulation around the wire is burned. I plan to clip off the terminal and about an inch of the burned wire (clip off all the burned stuff, in other words), and attach a new terminal (and some add'l wire if needed). Given that the insulation around the wire has been burned, has this compromised the integrity of the *entire* wire? Is it ok just to clip off the affected section of the burned wire? Or do I need to replace more (or all) of the wire?

2. I'm assuming that the heater element just died and caused the short which burned the nut and wire, as seen in the attached photo. Is that a reasonable assumption, or is there some other culprit that I should investigate? I'd hate to put the new heater element in only to have it burn out immediately due to some other un-diagnosed issue.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:08 PM

The poor cleaning complaint may be totally related to the defective heater.

Clipping the bad wire back to good wire should be fine.

The burned terminal could have been due to a loose terminal connection.

The hi-limit thermostat should also be checked for correct function.

#3 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:26 PM

the new Heater won't burn out right away, unless it physically shorts

You should use hi-temperature Connectors

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#4 foliage

foliage

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:26 PM

Thanks for the advice! A few follow-ups:

1. For the high limit thermostat, do I just want to check for continuity? And if so, do I need to do something to the thermostat to activate the circuit (e.g. put a hairdryer to it)?

2. For the high temp connectors, can I get those at an auto-parts store? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics