Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Is it a Kenmore or a Whirlpool?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Archer973

Archer973

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coffee

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:34 PM

I have a  broken dishwasher in the house I bought. The front panel has a Whirlpool Gold logo and a model name QuietPartner III. Inside the door there is a label with Kenmore model number 665.17342301. I guess that Whirlpool made this model for Kenmore. I ordered a new Touchpad Control Panel for the machine from RepairClinic using the Kenmore number. They didn't have a picture of the part I was ordering on their website at the time I placed the order. When I received the new part, it was wrong--wrong buttons, fewer features and it had the Kenmore brand name and model name QuietGuard 2. I'm working with RepairClinic to resolve the problem, but out of curiosity I'm trying to find out how this happened. Is the Kenmore model number correct for the machine I have?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:18 PM

Since the unit was manufactured by Whirlpool, it sounds like somebody replaced the console w/membrane switch with a comparable Whirlpool console.  The correct replacement console (Whirlpool made) P/N 8557769 or 8557770, depending on color.

#3 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:25 PM

I agree, OR someone changed the whole door.

Kenmore doesn't "make" anything

Who Makes Sears Kenmore

Who Makes What

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#4 Archer973

Archer973

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:11 AM

Since the unit was manufactured by Whirlpool, it sounds like somebody replaced the console w/membrane switch with a comparable Whirlpool console.  The correct replacement console (Whirlpool made) P/N 8557769 or 8557770, depending on color.

Thank you for your reply. I had considered this a possibility, but the two consoles are vastly different. The Whirlpool console has several features not on the Kenmore console. It seems to take advantage of the Whirlpool console, the control board would also have to be replaced so now my question is can a Kenmore QuietGuard II be upgraded to a Whirlpool QuietPartner III by replacing the console and the control board? For this to work, it seems all other components and wiring of the two machines would have to be identical.

#5 Archer973

Archer973

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:52 PM

New information. I finally removed the old control panel from my dishwasher and compared it to the one I purchased. New one is physically larger in height (about 2" greater) and cannot be used. This means that if someone upgraded the machine, they would have had to replace the whole door, not just the control console. Is it possible that the Whirlpool assembly line put the wrong label in the machine with the wrong Kenmore PN? That seems more likely to me than someone realizing they can upgrade the machine by buying a new door for a different machine. But I did learn the answer to my question about the control board. Both machines use the same control board.

#6 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:56 PM

a "retailer" / may have used factory "scrapped" parts from scratch & dent units

to build a unit and then sold on eBay or Craig's list.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#7 Archer973

Archer973

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:03 PM

a "retailer" / may have used factory "scrapped" parts from scratch & dent units

to build a unit and then sold on eBay or Craig's list.

Ok, that explanation works for me.

#8 Archer973

Archer973

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:46 PM

Thought I would make a final entry on this topic. I ordered a new control panel and TCO from repairclinic.com. This machine is now fully functional and my wife is much happier.

#9 ApplPro

ApplPro

Samanera

• Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fat Tire

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:24 PM

I would agree with the poster that suggested that the unit has been pieced together, probably by a used appliance dealer. It would be cost prohibitive and very unlikely that a DIY'er would have gone to the trouble to attempt to :Upgrade: the unit. For future parts purchases I would go with the Kenmore model number, although most of the parts other that the console/touchpad assm likely will be identical to the Whirlpool model.

#10 Archer973

Archer973

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:11 PM

Hi ApplPro. You make a good point about using the Kenmore model number for other parts purchases. If this is a pieced together machine, then the door must have come from a Whirlpool and mounted on a Kenmore, so I would need to take that into consideration if ordering parts for the door, e.g., panel, hinges, latch, etc. The Kenmore number should apply to everything on the main cabinet. Thanks for the advice. I will keep it in mind for future repairs.

#11 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,788 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:44 AM

A more likely scenario is the original touchpad went bad and someone replaced it with a used one from a Whirlpool machine.

The only difference between the Whirlpool and Kenmore touchpad/console assemblies would be the Kenmore and Whirlpool wording on the front of the panel and maybe a slight different placements of some of the touchpads.

Edited by Budget Appliance Repair, 13 November 2013 - 08:44 AM.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#12 Archer973

Archer973

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:48 AM

Hi Sensei. I was thinking the same thing until I discovered that the door of the two machines is physically different. The control panel of the Kenmore machine is about 1 1/2" greater in height than that of the Whirlpool machine. If this machine started out as Kenmore QuietGuard II, the door would have to be replaced with a Whirlpool QuietPartner III door for the control panel to fit. As I was typing this I realized that maybe they could have replaced both the door panel and control panel on the door frame, but I don't have enough knowledge to know if that scenario would work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics