Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE SxS GSS22WGPDBB freezing food AFTER initial repair

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 RedToryTy

RedToryTy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Guinness Stout

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:16 PM

To the Dojo,

This SxS presented with a defrost failure--defective single-tube heater AND bimetal. Evaporator defrosted, those components replaced, and solid thermistors installed. Also, based on experience, I clipped the damper motor wires because I've witnessed boards shorted because of shorted damper wire. Buttoned everything up, and fridge began cooling.

Catch up to yesterday's frustrating call about frozen food. Pulling the control board cover, I ohmed the thermistors, guessing at correct values based on the GSS/PSS manual posted elsewhere; diagnostic mode never yielded useful results. What I know is a good board is getting data from good thermistors. It even cycled off a couple times.

Today I closed the damper three-quarters, and am having the customer watch it. I await your howls, rotten tomatoes, dead cats, and cries of "PCM!"

Nervously yours,

Red Tory Ty

Mr. Tyrus Lee Smith
Owner-Operator, Smith's Appliance Service
701 Baldwin Falls Road
Baldwin, Georgia 30511-2108
706-778-3411

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:21 PM

You should have never clipped the damper motor wires.  Now you have to replace the damper motor.

Scott Wolf

#3 Applianceman97

Applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 2,081 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:07 PM

Cut the damper motor wires??? Never have had a problem with the control boards shorting from the damper. New damper time.

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.justintimeappliance.com

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,810 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:41 AM

Damper assembly: Part number: AP3186598

Part number: AP3186598

#5 bigbuck

bigbuck

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Red Wine

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:16 AM

Never heard of clipping damper motor wires.Were did you hear of that and how did you think the fresh food was going to get cold after clipping wires?And how do you know that board is good you magic or something.

#6 dimitri77565

dimitri77565

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Railean Hand Made Rum

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:45 AM

I had to replace damper only "TWICE" on a GE ,  been doing this for 30 years.   Ive replaced more Whirlpool and old Amana dampers.

But as a rule if Refrg.  is 6/8 years old they get a new evaporator sensor, the new improved dual heater & the Board. 

1 in 3 bad heaters or sensors ended up having a bad board also.

Yes you charge a little more but you have NO recall, or defrosting evap. coils all over again.

#7 bigbuck

bigbuck

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Red Wine

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:03 AM

I had to replace damper only "TWICE" on a GE ,  been doing this for 30 years.   Ive replaced more Whirlpool and old Amana dampers.

But as a rule if Refrg.  is 6/8 years old they get a new evaporator sensor, the new improved dual heater & the Board. 

1 in 3 bad heaters or sensors ended up having a bad board also.

Yes you charge a little more but you have NO recall, or defrosting evap. coils all over again.

I agree with you on that and also safety thermostat.You can even test the thermistors on your truck stock with a ice bath before you put them in meaning as soon as they become truck stock after reorder them but never really put in a bad thermistor.But when your defrosting evap. and the thermistor is just sitting there i just replace it and the safety too along with that single heater if it subs.to the double.And if its 6/8 years old new board.Those older boards where problems anyway.

#8 dimitri77565

dimitri77565

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Railean Hand Made Rum

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:29 PM

Bigbuck!   YOU are Right!     I should have said the safety too, yeah its right there take 2 min to replace both, cost is minimal,

When I was doing (yes beat me with a stick) work for home warranty companies, they did not pay & I did not replace any thing unless it was actually broken.

And yes to old boards were bad,  I am not replacing as many as I used to.  Now its 1 a month , before it was 2 -5 a week.

But thank God for Samsung, them Rice Burning Fridges pay my bills & some.

Oh yeah you spend 2 to 3 k for a fridge you will fix it.  Just like GE, found out if you replace fan motor & board, & on French Door I install a Whirlpool Drain Heater (theirs is as small as their weenie,) (sorry I thought it was funny could not help my self) (was never known to be politically correct LOL)    along with new fuse & thermistor, never a call back.

You know im gone get edited or banned for this, LOL

Edited by dimitri77565, 09 October 2013 - 04:30 PM.

#9 RedToryTy

RedToryTy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Guinness Stout

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:49 PM

Clipping the damper wires and manually adjusting open the damper worked on another electronified GE before. And, yes, one of the damper motor wires was grounded inside the cabinet (measured with VOM with damper motor and board disconnected).

I manually opened the damper--too wide at first--but the homeowner and I have adjusted it closed until it is now cycling at 38 degrees in fresh food. But I will take the admonition of The Dojo and replace the damper. Just know you don't NEED an electronified damper.

Mr. Tyrus Lee Smith
Owner-Operator, Smith's Appliance Service
701 Baldwin Falls Road
Baldwin, Georgia 30511-2108
706-778-3411

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics