Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

unclebubba

Killed Kenmore dryer, need help w/ resurrection

4 posts in this topic

I bought a craigslist Kenmore Elite dryer today and when I plugged it in there where fireworks from the terminal block. I unplugged and removed the cover to discover the red wire completely fried through (the screw was soddered to the terminal block cover). It was bent out and I think it may have been in contact with the cover. There are also char marks where the ground wire connects.

Did I kill it?

This is my first time posting here and first attempt at fixing a dryer... first time owning a dryer actually. Any and all help would be great.

Thanks.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

sounds like you would have tripped your House Circuit Breaker

Fix the wires and then test it.  I've had similar things happen with dryers and fixed the shorted wires and all was just fine.  You won't know if you don't try.  Good chance it's ok.

The RED wire is your primary heater wire.

Unless it was just a faulty connection at the terminal block you may have a short in the heater circuit.

Check the terminals at the motor for continuity (red to red) with the wires disconnected and the dryer unplugged.

Check the heater element for short to chassis.