Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

just trying to help

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:10 AM

Complaint was..............." During self-clean,  had power outage, now it will not work"..................I get there and what do I find???.................DSCN0416_zpscb5bc25c.jpg.....The customer sez " What do mean 65 clam$ to put it together to see what is wrong,  I was just trying to help by saving you some time...So, I took it apart...can't you see what is wrong???"..........I think to myself  'Why I otta  :bangin: '....... Did not reassemble the unit, want straight for the thermal fuse...  Was  the thermal fuse on the rear, behind the  panel.. (  the give away was 'self-clean' )............... at least he pulled it out................... .

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,601 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:49 AM

Well, Mr. customer, you told me to repair your range. A disassembled range is not a range.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#3 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:04 AM

Yep...I replaced your broken part....you put it back together to save me more time.

#4 dimitri77565

dimitri77565

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Railean Hand Made Rum

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:57 AM

LMBFAO !!!!!! That was  so Nice of you.

ME on the other hand, I would have walked right out the door.

Rather loose a few dollars than deal with Customers like that.   Life is too short , I love to help people will go out of my way but as I told a Doctor once who was going to fix it  himself.

"You stay away from  appliance repairs & I promise not to write Prescriptions! "

Customers like that tend to create problems & when they put it together wrong will call  & tell you "you misdiagnosed it or some thing like it"  why get upset for nothing when it could be avoided.

I also do not like being presured to give discounts,  you know what I meen.

"price will be 155 total"

" Oh  ,  you do for 120? yes?"

"sorry 155 is my bottom line"

"oh you my friend 120, you good"

"ok ill will do it for 165"

"but thats more you give me less"

"ok 175 thats the best"

"what is this you go up , no you go down"

"this is what I charge for arguments that take up my time, 185 now, woud you like to talk more?"

yup they called couple hrs later could not find cheaper , I charged them 185.

I have helped little old lady's or single mothers, people that could use my help, have even done free service calls for poor unemployed people who could not afford to have AC on in Texas on August, but will not play those games with people that can afford it.

Edited by dimitri77565, 13 October 2013 - 12:01 PM.

#5 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:18 PM

Brother ctg:  Good call on the additional reassemble/diagnosis charge.  Reg has a sign hanging around here somewhere with those additional charges.  At least the customer pulled the unit out himself (wooden floor).  Now you can blame any floor damage on him.

Brother dimitri:  I don't know what's happening!  In the past couple on months I've gotten two service call requests from little old ladies (with Meth addicted 50 year old sons/daughters living with them) wanting repairs done but no payment rendered until there next check.  Repaired a refrigerator for the first one and still haven't been paid.  She (and her two living abortions) are going into collections.  The second one I told to call back for service when she gets her check.  Hard times are upon us all, and I will cut my labor charge for deserving souls.  But don't call for service and expect charity.  I can't afford it.

Edited by PDuff, 13 October 2013 - 05:25 PM.

#6 dimitri77565

dimitri77565

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Railean Hand Made Rum

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:43 AM

PDuff you're are right , but maybe I listen to my gut & go with that & I have never gone wrong.  But if my radar is screaming no mater what the house looks like, a hut or a mansion, & if don't listen I pay the price.

Have been stiffed by doctors & bankers more that dirt poor people.

I took a chance a bunch of times, on people waiting for their S.S. check or people going through foreclosure waiting for their IRS return & every time they payed me cash when they said they would.

Its a gut call, when I listen to my gut, its always right.

You would not believe the times I have walked in a house only to pick up tools & walk right out as soon as the owner opened their mouth.

if you know the problem & wont listen to what i have to say, or your cousins mistress, ex husband who watches u-tube,  oh yeah a good friend who repairs AC's, a Nasa Engineer who looked up on the internet & read about problem,

Told you whats wrong then call Them .

Recall on an old JenAir downdraft, had replaced 1 infinite switch, 2 weeks prior.  Ct will not work at all claimed breakers were fliped still not working must be my wiring.!!

Found no power at all, told husband breakers are out go flip, he in turn throws the MAIN.  I said what are you doing?? only the oven (THE BOX WAS MARKED)  they both argue mostly wife.  

She saw u-tube main breaker resets all breakers,

I flip breaker C/T comes on & they still are giving me a hard time, open cover no shorted wiring, turn burners on all good , she still is arguing,  told the Husband since she knows so much next time save some money & get her to fix it because I WILL NEVER COME BACK HERE!

The bad part is , & please I am not prejudiced,  she could hardly speak ENGLISH.

I know they had no electricity in her village.

Edited by dimitri77565, 14 October 2013 - 12:07 PM.

#7 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,160 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:08 AM

Well, Mr. customer, you told me to repair your range. A disassembled range is not a range.

It will be a range after, and only after,  YOU put it back together.

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#8 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,601 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 19 October 2013 - 01:08 PM

and pay me an hourly rate while I'm sitting around waiting.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#9 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:on the house...

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:40 AM

Customer removed maintop, disconnected all the wires in the process. For some reason, the burners did not operate correctly after customer re-assembled after glorious self-repair attempt. Calls for service after giving up. No wiring diagram available. Find one online, no color coding. Hours later, lesson learned. Got it working, but never again will I spend hours tracing wires - even if I do get paid by the hour...

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

#10 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 20 October 2013 - 04:25 PM

I'm starting to see a trend here.  DIY's putting their faith in YouTube to guide them to Appliance Nirvana.

If I had the know how, I would produce my own series of YouTube videos, titled "Voodoo-It-Yourself Appliance Repair".  Every video would consist of smearing the appliance with blood (ketchup would suffice) using a severed chicken foot.  Then blow cigar smoke and pour rum on the appliance.  After that the appliance will work.  If not, then your God hates you and wants you to call for service.  At least the appliance will stay in one piece.

(If anybody wants to steal this idea, please feel free and make a run with it.  If it works that's payment enough for me.)

Edited by PDuff, 20 October 2013 - 04:27 PM.

#11 grey shrek

grey shrek

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 04:59 PM

I agree with most of your voodoo , but not wasting the rum on the appliance. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics