Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

KitchenAide Refrigerator ksrp25fnss00 cooling inconsistent

inconsistent cooling Refrigerator

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Beamish

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:11 PM

This refrigerator gets too warm sometimes but works fine at other times.

When I got there the freezer was about 25 inside but was running.

I think it had just started.

I checked the frost pattern and it had a nice frost pattern.

Defrost thermostat was good.

Evaparator, condensor fans, and compressor where all running.

Cleaned the coils, but everything seemed to be running perfectly.

By the time I got the coils cleaned and checked the temperature again it was already down to 7 degrees.

I told the lady to call if it got warm again and she called that evening saying it was doing it again.

That didn't suprise me that much but here's my problem.

I'm not sure what the hell to check. Any suggestions on what I need to check or what parts I should take with me would be a lot of help.

Edited by tpoindexter, 13 October 2013 - 10:12 PM.

Test

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,080 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:50 AM

Come on Tpoin, this ain't your first rodeo so a bit of tough love is comin' your way :

1) You are using vague terms like " Refrigerator " and "it got too warm. " You're a tech talking to techs so what are the temps in each compartment? We have to rule out air flow problem

2) results of damper test.. you did use diagnostics, right?

3)this fridge has thermistors, and like all thermistor controlled fridges with temp problems, you already know you need to change the thermistors or test for calibration issues if no other causation is readily apparent. If we knew the temps in each compartment (see #1) we may be able to pin point which, if either, of the thermistors are faulty.

4)and did you brace the customer for the potential of a board replacement? And if you are going to replace the board, replace the two thermistors as well.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,808 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:55 AM

This could be a number of things:  sticking evap or condensor fan, defrost thermostat out of cal or sticking, out of cal thermistors, flakey ADC board, or even moisture in the sealed system causing an intermittent ice plug.  Also, can't rule out user issues, like doors being left open.  

Using a data logger is a great tool for these situation because it let's you see if the warming spells have a regular repeating pattern to them.  Do they occur at regular intervals and last the same duration of time?  Or are these randomly occurring events that have varying durations?  This can give helpful insight into the possible causes.  

#4 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:12 AM

Concur.  The component test procedure in diagnostic mode should point the way.  Provided the interface and display is functioning properly.  Some additional information from the customer may help as well.  Is the no cool complaint specific to the fresh food section?  Any evidence of warm air intrusion?

I'll go out on a limb and bet all of Master Samurai's money that it's a faulty damper and thermistor.

#5 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:33 AM

1) You are using vague terms like " Refrigerator " and "it got too warm. " You're a tech talking to techs so what are the temps in each compartment? We have to rule out air flow problem

There are no airflow issues

2) results of damper test.. you did use diagnostics, right?

Didn't do a dampner test because the freezer temp was the issue 25F when I arrived and I believe the compressor had just started. However, I did check airflow to the fridge section at that point and found air flow to be fine.

3)this fridge has thermistors, and like all thermistor controlled fridges with temp problems, you already know you need to change the thermistors or test for calibration issues if no other causation is readily apparent. If we knew the temps in each compartment (see #1) we may be able to pin point which, if either, of the thermistors are faulty.

It was 25F in the freezer and cooling down. Air flow was good to the FF side.

4)and did you brace the customer for the potential of a board replacement? And if you are going to replace the board, replace the two thermistors as well.

Yes, when she called the second time I told her maybe it was a starter relay going bad or the board was going to have to be replaced. She said the only problem with that was she was going to have to pay for parts till we got the right one. I said, "yes mame, unfortunately."

I wasn't comfortable with the answer I gave her so thought I'd post the question.

Spoke with her again this morning and she said it was doing it on and off all weekend. I ask if she would occasionally hear a clicking noise and she there were no clicks and she had been watching it all weekend. It was up to 30 F this morning.

Test

#6 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:42 AM

This could be a number of things:  sticking evap or condensor fan, defrost thermostat out of cal or sticking, out of cal thermistors, flakey ADC board, or even moisture in the sealed system causing an intermittent ice plug.  Also, can't rule out user issues, like doors being left open.  

Using a data logger is a great tool for these situation because it let's you see if the warming spells have a regular repeating pattern to them.  Do they occur at regular intervals and last the same duration of time?  Or are these randomly occurring events that have varying durations?  This can give helpful insight into the possible causes.  

I believe from talking with her that the problem is increasing in frequency .

Unfortunately, I don't have a data logger. This damned job if 1 also that is about 45 minute drive.

I'm afraid I may have to disappoint and be a monkey on this one.

I'm leaning toward the board and fzr thermister

Test

#7 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:53 AM

Concur.  The component test procedure in diagnostic mode should point the way. 

Requested service manual on this one but all Reg could come up with for me on this one was a wiring diagram. If you have one I'd like to have it.

It could be posted on here or sent to tpoindexter@cox.net

Provided the interface and display is functioning properly.  Some additional information from the customer may help as well.  Is the no cool complaint specific to the fresh food section? 

No, it seems the compressor just shuts off and doesn't come back on for a long period of time.

Any evidence of warm air intrusion? No

I'll go out on a limb and bet all of Master Samurai's money that it's a faulty damper and thermistor.

I'm sorry I wasn't more clear in my original post as Durham has already pointed out. But, it seems to be starting with the compressor not coming on when it should and fzr section getting to warm.

I do believe it may be the fzr thermister that fishes into the freezer from the FF side. Thinking I will take that and the board with me.

But I'm still open to suggestions.

I could really use the manual.

This model doesn't have the digital display, it just has the one temp adjustment for each side with lights that move to show settings.

Edited by tpoindexter, 14 October 2013 - 09:59 AM.

Test

#8 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,080 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:17 AM

Now why didn't you tell us this info before? We would not be talking about damper issues. Intermittent start relay/compressor is a remote possibility but first you have to rule out fzr thermistor and board failure. Always have thermistors on hand and test/replace them on your initial visit. Then if have to do a follow up, get a board from repair clinic before you return.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#9 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:33 AM

Probably a good idea to replace the compressor relay and overload regardless.  Even a Klixon can act flaky right before it shorts out completely.

#10 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:55 AM

Ok, now I feel stupid. Just looked at the wiring diagram and noticed it has diagnostic instructions on it!

Test

#11 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:57 PM

Update:

Diagnostics didn't show anything wrong.

Replaced the defrost thermostat in case it was sticking coming out of defrost, and the thermisters as Durham suggested.

Lady called back a few days later saying it was still doing it.

Board wasn't available from the factory till the middle of November. So we were waiting.

Then, Bam! Found 1 in Denver, had it shipped installed it today and feeling pretty good about it fixing the problem.

There were no delays in anything starting when the diagnostics were ran and there was good airflow also.

Thanks for you guys giving me some suggestions.

Ya know this job made me want to get the software where I could record temperatures over a period of time. But shit, my mind keeps fighting me telling me to just tell the customer the situation and let them decide. I mean I don't work on alot of high end appliances, and, I don't really want to leave equipment in some of these places.

Test

#12 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,808 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:42 PM

Ya know this job made me want to get the software where I could record temperatures over a period of time. But shit, my mind keeps fighting me telling me to just tell the customer the situation and let them decide. I mean I don't work on alot of high end appliances, and, I don't really want to leave equipment in some of these places.

Way to stick with it!  

I whatcha mean about leaving an $80 temperature data logger behind.  You usually only need it in higher end fridges with thermistors and electronic controls.  Or Sub-Zeros.  In these cases, the clientele is usually not a worry.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: inconsistent cooling, Refrigerator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics