Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

OK to combine dryer vent with room ceiling fan?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PEvans

PEvans

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:25 PM

My dryer is in the middle of a house with masonry (adobe) walls and presently vents to the garage, which is a mess. Venting to an outside wall would be preferable but impossible.

There is a ceiling fan for the laundry and I am tempted to route the dryer vent up and through the same roof vent. The ducting is large (at least 4"). This would avoid a new penetration in the roof membrane.

Does anyone know if this is allowed/prohibited by code and whether it is a good/bad idea?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,554 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:59 PM

How are you going to prevent back flow from dryer to the fan or vice versa for that matter? Having lint blown from the dryer through the fan may be quite dusty and having the fan blowing lint back into your dryer may be quite... uh... smokey.

A suggestion to live by : Never play around with your dryer or its venting.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#3 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:39 PM

A ceiling fan or a room exhaust fan? A ceiling fan normally doesn't have any duct line.

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#4 PEvans

PEvans

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:15 PM

It's a room exhaust fan with a duct through the attic to a vent in the roof.

Great point on backdraft.

#5 Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:43 PM

Is it , can you do this or should you do it ?

you can do anything , but ..........

most bathroom vents have a cap on the roof , this cap has a screen , you would not want it to get clogged with lint , and it will

for years bathroom vents just ran up into the attic and ended there , the problem was the little motors went bad and the motors would overheat , and burn, next thing you knew was you had an attic fire . so they started requiring an outside metal vent so if something did go wrong your house would not burn down

so your plan is to "t" the two together , so loose lint can fall down into a hot bathroom fan motor !  not cool !!

so if it was mine , i would disconect the bathroom vent , disconect the electric to the fan motor and run the vent into the hard vent pipe (NO , T CONNECTOR)  go up on the roof and remove any screen in the cap and make sure the cap is big enough to handle the volume of air the dryer puts out

then in a month or so go back up and see how the vent is doing , any lint buildup ect.

the downside is you no longer have a bathroom vent and you need to keep an eye on that cap on the roof for lint buldup every so offten

if you ever list your house for sale , please put things back the way it should be , otherwise someone sometime will be talking about your "great handywork " 

SORRY ABOUT THE SPELLING , I FIX GREAT , I DON'T SPELL WELL

#6 micabay

micabay

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:44 AM

The longer any dryer run is the more likly it will become a fire hazard in the near future. Over 75% of our dryer service calls are directly related to a clogged dryer vent. The safest thing you can do is to move your laundry room to an outside wall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics