Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Asko T700 stops when release power button redux...

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 MikeG

MikeG

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:55 PM

I don't quite understand the mechanics of this forum.  I started a topic about my T700 which turns off when I release the power button after a replace a couple drum rollers.  I tried to follow post but it no longer allows me to reply to the topic.

Anyway, I was pre-occupied with something else and am now back to the dryer.  As previously noted, even though the drum turns and blower goes there does not appear to be any heat.   I will investigate further and try to update once I get further clues and/or a resolution for those interested.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 MikeG

MikeG

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:18 PM

I've checked the motor and start button and they appear to be fine.  Would a bad heating element cause this sort of behavior? Press the start button and everything appears to run fine except no heat and it stops as soon as I release the power button.  

#3 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:02 AM

The Asko dryer does have a resettable thermal cutout in the rear by the element but if tripped should only interfere with the heating.  Should check it anyway and reset if necessary.  Check the terminal block and fuse at the power box.  Make sure the drive belt is properly install on the motor and idler pulley.  Most dryer motors have a centrifugal switch that can stick, not allowing the motor to continue running after energized by the start switch.

#4 MikeG

MikeG

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:12 AM

The Asko dryer does have a resettable thermal cutout in the rear by the element but if tripped should only interfere with the heating.  Should check it anyway and reset if necessary.  Check the terminal block and fuse at the power box.  Make sure the drive belt is properly install on the motor and idler pulley.  Most dryer motors have a centrifugal switch that can stick, not allowing the motor to continue running after energized by the start switch.

The thermal cutout has tripped in the past and resetting has been trivial and worked fine.  It does not appear to be tripped at this point.  Have checked and replaced fuses but I suppose I can replace them again just in case.  What at the terminal block are you suggesting to check?  The dryer powers on (light demonstrates it is on) and I can press the start button which results in the drum turning just fine and blower working.  I do not appear to get heat, however, and as soon as I release the start button the motor stops and drum obviously stops turning.  

Drive belt is fine.  I've replaced it a couple of times in the past so am familiar with the process.  Does not appear to be involved at this point.

As for the centrifugal switch, is that known by a different name?  I don't see anything in the service manual by that name.  

Thanks kindly, 

#5 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:20 AM

Centrifugal switch is built in to the motor.  I'd have to check your wiring diagram but the heater circuit for most dryers do route through the motor switch as well.  The terminal block and fuse should be located rear/upper/left of unit.

Starting to look like a motor issue.

#6 MikeG

MikeG

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:47 AM

I have replaced the fuse holders in the past (one nearly melted at one point) so I am familiar with that.  I'll replace both fuses there but when I have had fuse problems in the past even pressing the start button does nothing at all.  Since the indicator light turns on, the drum turns, and so on when I press the start switch I am assuming there is not a problem with the terminal block or wiring there.  I'd think I would not even get that far if there were a problem with terminal block.  

I replaced the motor a couple of years ago so am really hoping that is not the problem.  This is a 13 year old T700 so wear and tear is expected but was hoping a motor would last more than a couple of years, especially since we mostly dry on a rack and just throw clothes in for a short time before folding.  

Thanks much, PDuff. 

#7 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:orange juice

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:51 PM

This  doesn't necessarily mean the motor is bad.  It could only be lint in the motor stopping it from making contact and therefore not switching to the run winding and turning on the heaters.  get a vacuum and an air compressor and clean up the motor and blow it out.  You could check the run winding on the motor if you had a diagram.  

#8 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:42 PM

This  doesn't necessarily mean the motor is bad.  It could only be lint in the motor stopping it from making contact and therefore not switching to the run winding and turning on the heaters.  get a vacuum and an air compressor and clean up the motor and blow it out.  You could check the run winding on the motor if you had a diagram.  

also the problem could  be you only have 110vlts instead of 220vlts.  check for 220 at the wire junction, where the cord connects.

#9 MikeG

MikeG

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:06 PM

Thanks, electro_doc -- I'll try taking things apart again tomorrow and give it a try. 

#10 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:38 PM

Thanks, electro_doc -- I'll try taking things apart again tomorrow and give it a try. 

while you have it apart check the switch at the belt idler bar.  If it is bad the dryer motor will not stay running after you release the start button.

#11 MikeG

MikeG

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:40 PM

Hmm.  In taking it apart I was cleaning lint out the heater assembly and find that one of the heating coils is broken.  I'm suspecting I have found the source of the problem with both the lack of heat and the dryer stopping as soon as I release the power button.  Rats.  Asko parts are so darned expensive.  $113 just for the heater assembly.  Trying to figure out at what point I stop putting money into a 13 year-old dryer with a bad reputation.

#12 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:44 PM

Hmm.  In taking it apart I was cleaning lint out the heater assembly and find that one of the heating coils is broken.  I'm suspecting I have found the source of the problem with both the lack of heat and the dryer stopping as soon as I release the power button.  Rats.  Asko parts are so darned expensive.  $113 just for the heater assembly.  Trying to figure out at what point I stop putting money into a 13 year-old dryer with a bad reputation.

I'm pretty sure you found the no heat problem but that will not fix the motor not running when you release the start button.  Did you check the switch by the idler pulley?

#13 MikeG

MikeG

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:47 PM

Hi Doc,

Not yet.  Once I found the bad heater I started contemplating whether it was worth fixing and whether I should get a beer.  I'll maybe get that beer and dig a little deeper to the switch and check it.  

#14 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:59 PM

sounds like a good idea!

#15 MikeG

MikeG

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:39 PM

Even with a beer I don't see a switch on the motor.  I have seen them on other dryers but I don't see it on my Asko.  

#16 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:07 PM

I think at this point you may need a wiring diagram.  I'm not familiar with this model.  Sorry

#17 MikeG

MikeG

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:53 PM

Alright, now I am downright ornery.  I got the new heater element yesterday and just finished replacing it.  Same thing.  Push button and have to hold it in to keep the thing running.  Release and it stops.  Still does not appear to be heating at all either.  What in the world? I tend to be really stubborn about these kinds of things but this is getting frustrating.  What next?  Start button?  Does am pretty certain the terminal block is wired correctly.  Never had problems like this before.  

#18 MikeG

MikeG

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:56 PM

OK -- I can hang my head in shame.  I went back and checked the terminal block and I had one connection incorrect.  Changed and now works like a million bucks.  

#19 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,636 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:18 PM

Good job finding your own mistake!  Seriously, those are the hardest ones to find.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics