Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

charging scale/does quality mix with affordability?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 vunger1

vunger1

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:maxwell house regular blend

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:09 AM

I need to purchase charging scales, but there are a lot of options. Im looking for some opinions based on good or bad experiences . What would be a good scale to buy?

re the scales in this link any good, or junk. http://www.amazon.co..._6oovx3z36a_b 

specifically the Tif 9010a

Edited by vunger1, 15 October 2013 - 09:10 AM.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:05 PM

I have the 9010a and it works fine.

#3 Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:14 PM

I own the

TIF Instruments TIF9010A

i have had a lot of scales over the years they allways go bad the same way , after it is "0"ed the numbers do not change as you are chargeing , you end up with a half charged system and no way to know how much is in there . if you power off and back on it will work fine for months then it will do it again SO DON'T BUY USED

before i bought THIS tif i would expect to get around 3 years out of one before it failed . the tif has lasted 5 years so far

my scale is used about once a week in the winter , 6 days a week in the summer, 5 times a day   (we do a lot of central ac repair and commercail refrigeration i am the guy that does it all around here ) . I like my tif i would buy another if this one fails

Edited by Cactus Bob, 15 October 2013 - 02:25 PM.

SORRY ABOUT THE SPELLING , I FIX GREAT , I DON'T SPELL WELL

#4 Bullstok

Bullstok

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Mt. Dew

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:56 PM

I got the fieldpiece scale that has the remote reader. Its has a magnetic hanger and works 20some feet away from the scale. I was worried that part would be a weak link but I have had it a couple years and would still buy it again. Before that i had a yellow jacket that took a dump twice and i gave up on it. My best suggestion is to get one that does live readings easily. It makes weighing in a charge very easy. Hanging scales are cheap but harder to work with in this aspect. I suppose you could hang it from a ladder with the tank hanging from the scale but that sounds like a pain.

http://www.fieldpiec...struments/srs2c

I didnt pay anywhere near the $250 or whatever that you see them for now.

#5 leamy

leamy

Samanera

• Chief Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:BEER

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:24 PM

I had the tif model shown on amazon 4 about 4 years .

works great..

#6 curjones

curjones

Senpai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:diet coke

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:14 AM

What micron vac meter are you guys using,  i just bought the basic beginers set of tools,  I got a harbor freight tourch set, but really want a good recommendation on acy/air torch for small units.  Are yall using oxy/acy or air/acy?  I have my eyes on an ad with a yellow jacket micron meter, suppose to be a good deal, but I wonder if they have a high failure rate after the talk about their scales.

#7 Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:22 AM

never needed a micron meter, 39 years without one , no point in buying one now

FYI: i do a lot of refrigeration !

AIR/ACY    turbo torch !

SORRY ABOUT THE SPELLING , I FIX GREAT , I DON'T SPELL WELL

#8 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:13 PM

I use the turbo torch, air/acy.

I have 5 nozzles of various size.

I have a yellow jacket micron gauge but never use it.

#9 curjones

curjones

Senpai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:diet coke

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:18 PM

Got that same input from a local guy today, no micron guauge just use manifold gauge set, is that correct. Was leaning hard towards the turbo torch heard lots of good, what gun, and tips.. got or get confused trying to sort out all the ads and different numbers. Going to do mostly small tube at first. Thanks for the input.

#10 TASII

TASII

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Jamaica Me Crazy

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:05 AM

I have the turbo torch and use it 90 % of the time. I also carry a double tip soft flame. I am currently looking at the electronic brazing systems but they are expensive. As far as scales I also have the TIF and it works ok. When in doubt use your gauges ( unless it's dual evap)

#11 wishfultech

wishfultech

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:iced tea

Posted 30 November 2013 - 06:08 PM

Because I am mostly HVAC i use a micron gauge more now with 410a refrigerant. As far as the charging scales I have the TIF too and have not had any problems.I have noticed that other techs don't use a micron gauge on refrigerators much.I guess it's a small system and not open to the  atmosphere long at all.I would like to know what manufacturers suggest in their tech training though.

#12 -Mike-

-Mike-

Kohai

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:diet Pepsi

Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:45 AM

I also have a 9010 and it has never given me a problem. Its about 5 or 6 years old and I don't think I've even changed the battery in it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics