Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

12-year old front-loader (Kenmore 417.41042000) -- repair or replace?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Matt Moody

Matt Moody

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Rainbow Red

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:32 AM

Our front-load washer is leaking from the drum seal, and when I pulled off the back panel I noticed gunk around the bearings.  My next step will be to pull out the drum assembly to look at the spider.  If all I need to repair are the seal and rear shell with bearings, the repair parts will be around $250.  I like the idea of keeping this machine going as it has worked well for us, and has not had daily use (so perhaps it's not that old?).  The lack of electronic read-outs on this model also means it works well with our off-grid power system.  Is it worth repairing, or so old that some other part will break soon anyway?  I think if I could hope for a few more years of use, the repair cost would be similar to the life cost on a new washer, since they're only supposed to last 6-7 years.  For new, we're looking at the newer model of the same machine, since it fits in the space and fits the stackable dryer on top.  It's $6-800.

Thanks for any advice, 

Matt

PS Where do all the old washers go?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:14 AM

Matt, you're probably gonna find a broken arm on that rear spinner assy, which would require replacing the inner basket along with the rear outer tub.  This washer was manufactured by Frigidaire for Sears and most likely had a 5 year part warranty on the tubs.  Given the cost of the replacement parts and the age of the unit, you may consider a new washer.

In response to your question, all old front load washers go the scrap yard when they die.  Old top load Whirlpool and Kenmore washers come to our shop to be repaired, refurbished, reborn, and resold.

#3 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:40 AM

common problem

cause may be accelerated by the use of non-HE / or too much detergent

http://fixitnow.com/...etallic-misery/

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#4 Matt Moody

Matt Moody

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:57 PM

Thanks for the info.  Maybe instead of taking it apart I'll try to test the spider from the front door as I read about earlier today.  If I have to buy a new washer,  I may as well tighten the nuts on the drums and put the rear panel back on this one and keep using it until it actually doesn't work anymore!

We did have one repair call years ago -- can't remember what for -- and the serviceman recommended we use only about 1T of detergent, as well as vinegar in the fabric softener spot.  We have done that since.  Now I remember... we were getting deposits from our hard water.  Problem solved with a water filter.

#5 Matt Moody

Matt Moody

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:38 PM

Just noticed my washer manual says "Limited Lifetime warranty on stainless steel wash basket."  Think it might be worth calling Sears?  

#6 sh2sh2

sh2sh2

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:yeunling

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:00 PM

you will have to pay for labor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics