Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

The days of Monkey Boy Service Calls are over...

Click here to check out our fun short course and learn how to get the most out of Appliantology.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Dog Breath

Maytag dryer - intermittent no heat

15 posts in this topic

Hello All -

I have a Maytag dryer (don't have the model # - probably around 20 years old or so) that only heats intermittently.  The ignitor lights up when there is a call for heat, but the gas only ignites sometimes.  However, when it exhibits this behavior, I can get the gas to come on with a light tap on the coils.  I replaced both gas coils around a month or so ago.  Is this behavior typical of a bad coil or does it point to the valve itself?

Thanks in advance for pointing me in the right direction!

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Has this Dryer worked OK for you up till now at this location ?

OR

Has this Dryer been in storage recently ?

Same place for last 15 years.  Daily use.  Have replaced coils 2 or 3 times over this period, most recently about a month ago.

Had the exact same problem on an older Newton built Maytag gas dryer.  Wound up replacing both booster and secondary coils, along with the timer.

Hmmmmm......guess I'll go the cheap route and try the coils (again), although I don't understand how the coils could go bad again in only 1 month (they were Maytag coils).  Will update you with my results once I get the new coils......

Tossed in a new set tonight.  Seems to be working OK, but we'll have to see if it remains that way.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

Doesn't look like it's the coils.  Exact same problem - ignitor glows orange but no flame unless you tap lightly on the coils.  Problem is intermittent - sometimes it ignites properly and sometimes it doesn't.  Guess that means its the valve (unless there's a way to test for it)????

Ignitor glows orange?  could be the ignitor is going bad and not letting enough juice pass trough to open the coils.  the ignitor should glow white.  It should get hot enough to lite in about 60sec. or less.  If it is taking a long time to trip the sensor it may be a sign it's going bad.  I've seen many ignitiors that needed to be replaced even though they were glowing.

Yep, definitely glows bright orange, not white.  I'll give the ignitor a try, especially since it's WAY cheaper than buying the coils.  Will report back again as soon as I replace the ignitor.

Come to think of it the burner should open even if the ignitor is bad as long as the sensor switches it off.  Sorry I was thinking of a gas range, the safety valves are different in them.  It is very rare for a burner to go bad, at least in my experience.  If you have changed the solenoids and maybe by now the ignitor and it still doesn't work right then it sure looks like a bad burner.  Sorry for the bad ignitor advice.  If you got it from repair clinic you can send it back.

Installed the new ignitor yesterday - seems to be working fine now.  Burner seems to light faster than before.  Will keep an eye on it over the next several days to see if it's fixed for good.  Other than the coils and ignitor, it sounds like the only other thing it can be is the valve/burner assembly (like maybe one of the valves is sticking).  Hopefully things are fixed now.

Installed the new ignitor yesterday - seems to be working fine now.  Burner seems to light faster than before.  Will keep an eye on it over the next several days to see if it's fixed for good.  Other than the coils and ignitor, it sounds like the only other thing it can be is the valve/burner assembly (like maybe one of the valves is sticking).  Hopefully things are fixed now.

I'm hoping for you that this fixes it too.  I remember having a burner giving me problems and I finally broke down and replaced the ignitor with the coils and it fixed it.  Good job.  I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

The missus reports that all is good! Looks like it was indeed the ignitor! A big thank you to all for your help!

The missus reports that all is good! Looks like it was indeed the ignitor! A big thank you to all for your help!

awesome!