Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag dryer - intermittent no heat

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Dog Breath

Dog Breath

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:18 AM

Hello All -

I have a Maytag dryer (don't have the model # - probably around 20 years old or so) that only heats intermittently.  The ignitor lights up when there is a call for heat, but the gas only ignites sometimes.  However, when it exhibits this behavior, I can get the gas to come on with a light tap on the coils.  I replaced both gas coils around a month or so ago.  Is this behavior typical of a bad coil or does it point to the valve itself?

Thanks in advance for pointing me in the right direction!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:50 AM

Has this Dryer worked OK for you up till now at this location ?

OR

Has this Dryer been in storage recently ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 Dog Breath

Dog Breath

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:04 PM

Same place for last 15 years.  Daily use.  Have replaced coils 2 or 3 times over this period, most recently about a month ago.

#4 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:49 PM

Had the exact same problem on an older Newton built Maytag gas dryer.  Wound up replacing both booster and secondary coils, along with the timer.

#5 Dog Breath

Dog Breath

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:54 PM

Hmmmmm......guess I'll go the cheap route and try the coils (again), although I don't understand how the coils could go bad again in only 1 month (they were Maytag coils).  Will update you with my results once I get the new coils......

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,813 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:48 AM

Gas dryer valve coils:  http://www.repaircli...oid/279834/3479

#7 Dog Breath

Dog Breath

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:07 PM

Tossed in a new set tonight.  Seems to be working OK, but we'll have to see if it remains that way.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

#8 Dog Breath

Dog Breath

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:56 PM

Doesn't look like it's the coils.  Exact same problem - ignitor glows orange but no flame unless you tap lightly on the coils.  Problem is intermittent - sometimes it ignites properly and sometimes it doesn't.  Guess that means its the valve (unless there's a way to test for it)????

#9 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:orange juice

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:17 AM

Ignitor glows orange?  could be the ignitor is going bad and not letting enough juice pass trough to open the coils.  the ignitor should glow white.  It should get hot enough to lite in about 60sec. or less.  If it is taking a long time to trip the sensor it may be a sign it's going bad.  I've seen many ignitiors that needed to be replaced even though they were glowing.

#10 Dog Breath

Dog Breath

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:09 PM

Yep, definitely glows bright orange, not white.  I'll give the ignitor a try, especially since it's WAY cheaper than buying the coils.  Will report back again as soon as I replace the ignitor.

#11 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:09 PM

Come to think of it the burner should open even if the ignitor is bad as long as the sensor switches it off.  Sorry I was thinking of a gas range, the safety valves are different in them.  It is very rare for a burner to go bad, at least in my experience.  If you have changed the solenoids and maybe by now the ignitor and it still doesn't work right then it sure looks like a bad burner.  Sorry for the bad ignitor advice.  If you got it from repair clinic you can send it back.

#12 Dog Breath

Dog Breath

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:20 PM

Installed the new ignitor yesterday - seems to be working fine now.  Burner seems to light faster than before.  Will keep an eye on it over the next several days to see if it's fixed for good.  Other than the coils and ignitor, it sounds like the only other thing it can be is the valve/burner assembly (like maybe one of the valves is sticking).  Hopefully things are fixed now.

#13 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:45 PM

Installed the new ignitor yesterday - seems to be working fine now.  Burner seems to light faster than before.  Will keep an eye on it over the next several days to see if it's fixed for good.  Other than the coils and ignitor, it sounds like the only other thing it can be is the valve/burner assembly (like maybe one of the valves is sticking).  Hopefully things are fixed now.

I'm hoping for you that this fixes it too.  I remember having a burner giving me problems and I finally broke down and replaced the ignitor with the coils and it fixed it.  Good job.  I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

#14 Dog Breath

Dog Breath

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:37 AM

The missus reports that all is good! Looks like it was indeed the ignitor! A big thank you to all for your help!

#15 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:49 AM

The missus reports that all is good! Looks like it was indeed the ignitor! A big thank you to all for your help!

awesome!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics