electro_doc

kenmore washer leaking 110.27731600

33 posts in this topic

So I just had someone I know run there washer in agitation for 30 seconds, stop the washer, set it to spin (high speed selected) and start the washer. It drained without spinning. I don't know why yours is going directly to spin/drain unless you do not have high speed spin selected.

Eric

I'm still wrapping my mind around the initial problem.  Water shooting 4" out of the bleach dispenser during spin, and only intermittently.  I've seen plenty of neutral drain issues but I've never seen that.  And it's a maid who using the washer when this phenomenon occurs.  Which spin cycle does this occur in?  Is it possible the maid is adding to the load after the maximum water level is reached?

I changed the timer and it is doing the same thing!  I put the old timer back in, ate some more crow and said I'll be back after more research.  I went home and checked my machine, it is almost exactly the same and guess what, mine goes agitate, stop, pump, stop, spin.  Just like it should.  Now I know I'm not crazy, this machine is not working correctly.  It's like I hear it start to pump for a couple seconds and then a loud clank and it starts to spin.  It's like the neutral gear is releasing before it is supposed to.  I also checked it in the rinse cycle and guess what, it does it there too.  So now I'm back to thinking it's the neutral drain.  Have you ever see one do this?  It's the only thing that makes sense at this point!  What do you think?

would the neutral drain mechanism cause it to do this?

It sounds like you do have a neutral drain problem, but that shouldn't cause a water spout like you are describing.

Sometimes if these machines are in a cold laundry room it may need to be ran for at least 10 minutes to warm the transmission oil up before the neutral drain will work correctly.

The original version of this machine when it came out in the early 80's didn't have a neutral drain and always went directly into spin/drain at the same time - it's just much harder on the clutch/causes more clutch wear when it drain and spins at the same time with a full tub of water and clothes.

I've ran across many of these direct drive Whirlpools with a neutral drain that doesn't stay in neutral for the 2 minute drain period and for the most part no one every wants to fix it and every thing still works fine when I clean the clutch lining and bell with emory cloth and shim one of the clutch spring cups with a number 10 flat washer.

It sounds like you do have a neutral drain problem, but that shouldn't cause a water spout like you are describing.

Sometimes if these machines are in a cold laundry room it may need to be ran for at least 10 minutes to warm the transmission oil up before the neutral drain will work correctly.

The original version of this machine when it came out in the early 80's didn't have a neutral drain and always went directly into spin/drain at the same time - it's just much harder on the clutch/causes more clutch wear when it drain and spins at the same time with a full tub of water and clothes.

I've ran across many of these direct drive Whirlpools with a neutral drain that doesn't stay in neutral for the 2 minute drain period and for the most part no one every wants to fix it and every thing still works fine when I clean the clutch lining and bell with emory cloth and shim one of the clutch spring cups with a number 10 flat washer.

ok thanks,  at this point I need to try that to satisfy my curiosity.  I think it will work ok now that I put it back together with silicon on the lid gasket but I agree it is hard on the clutch and noisey when it ingages at a higher speed than nomal.

Ok guys here is the follow up.  Sorry I never closed this out, it is a really good thread and has a lot of good stuff.  What I finally figured out is that the drain line had a bunch of dog hair in it and was restricting the drain.   It was about 10 feet down and so didn't affect the water to where it came out the drain or even to the point of where you could see the water slow down.  But it was bad enough to where on occasion it would fill up and then affect the draining of the water to where the pump water was restricted like it was hitting a wall and it caused the neutral drain not to allow the pause and let the washer go directly into drain and spin causing all the problems of the water coming out over the top lid cyntrifically when it was full of water and going into spin.   I got a snake and unplugged the drain and the washer is working perfectly.  A great lesson learned.   Thanks to all for the great help.  Problem finally solved

Doc

Edited by electro_doc