Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

kenmore washer leaking 110.27731600

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:27 AM

If you stop it while it is agitating and put it in spin, it will pump and drain at the same time.  What causes it to only pump and then spin when the water is all out?  

Assume you meant it will drain and spin at the same time. It shouldn't do that. Stopping the washer during agitation and going directly to spin is no different than the timer doing it automatically except for one thing. Drain is in high speed only, no matter what speed may be selected. If your manually placing it in spin that is low or extra low speed, the latch may not engage and it will do a spin drain. I just tested one by running in dry agitate for 15 seconds, stopping the washer, selecting high speed spin, start washer. It went into drain only. Of course, you then must stop the washer and start again for it to go into spin.

Eric

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#22 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:orange juice

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:31 AM

If you can find it ............Module # 4....Lit....787772...Rev. B is what I gots..........Fairbanks has listed the good stuff............... .but the whole picture must be viewed to understand how the transmission works............................"Aggressive Spin".....Unit will start to spin same time it is draining...................Should be.......Drain, Pause, Spin...................

why after agitate  when you put it into spin manually, it will begin to spin and pump at the same time?  It will only pump out without spinning if you let it go into this position by it self.  This has to have something to do with the timer.  I can't understand the difference.

#23 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:52 AM

It shoudn't do that, see my previous post. The only difference is if you are selecting other than high speed spin which may be a function of the timer, speed switch or both.

Eric

#24 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:30 AM

It shoudn't do that, see my previous post. The only difference is if you are selecting other than high speed spin which may be a function of the timer, speed switch or both.

Eric

That is why it is so confusing to me.  I think the timer is going into spin without letting the motor stop completely first.  Ok that makes sense but maybe you don't get what I'm saying.  Normally after agitate the timer advances and starts to pump then stops and starts to spin.  If however you move the timer to the spin position, bypassing the pump position  on the timer, the washer will begin to spin and pump at the same time.  I don't understand why this is.  It makes no sense to me.

#25 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:32 PM

I understand what you are saying. As to whether it should do that or not depends on the washer. If it's a single speed motor, it shouldn't do what you are saying. The washer you are working on has a 2 speed motor. When the timer goes to drain mode, power is directly to the high speed winding, not going through the centrifugal switch contacts. When you stop agitation and manually select spin, power is through those contacts if other than high speed has been selected. The washer always starts in high speed but as soon as the motor gets going, the centrifugal switch switches power to the speed switch. This means the motor actually cuts off for a split second while switching and this apparently is causing the neutral drain latch to release and shift out of neutral. The washer I tested this morning has a single speed motor and works the same regardless if through normal timer cycling or if you turn washer off during agitate and start again in spin mode. It will go into drain without spin. I don't have another multi-speed motor washer to test here right now.

Eric

Edited by fairbank56, 23 October 2013 - 03:02 PM.

#26 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:09 PM

So I just had someone I know run there washer in agitation for 30 seconds, stop the washer, set it to spin (high speed selected) and start the washer. It drained without spinning. I don't know why yours is going directly to spin/drain unless you do not have high speed spin selected.

Eric

#27 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:50 PM

I'm still wrapping my mind around the initial problem.  Water shooting 4" out of the bleach dispenser during spin, and only intermittently.  I've seen plenty of neutral drain issues but I've never seen that.  And it's a maid who using the washer when this phenomenon occurs.  Which spin cycle does this occur in?  Is it possible the maid is adding to the load after the maximum water level is reached?

#28 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:51 PM

I changed the timer and it is doing the same thing!  I put the old timer back in, ate some more crow and said I'll be back after more research.  I went home and checked my machine, it is almost exactly the same and guess what, mine goes agitate, stop, pump, stop, spin.  Just like it should.  Now I know I'm not crazy, this machine is not working correctly.  It's like I hear it start to pump for a couple seconds and then a loud clank and it starts to spin.  It's like the neutral gear is releasing before it is supposed to.  I also checked it in the rinse cycle and guess what, it does it there too.  So now I'm back to thinking it's the neutral drain.  Have you ever see one do this?  It's the only thing that makes sense at this point!  What do you think?

#29 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:17 PM

There's no neutral gear, it's the latch releasing from the spin gear cam, probably because the cam is worn or something else with the neutral drain mechanism. Neutral drain problems are fairly common with these DD machines.

http://www.repaircli...kit/388253/2911

Eric

#30 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:19 PM

would the neutral drain mechanism cause it to do this?

#31 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,647 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:53 AM

It sounds like you do have a neutral drain problem, but that shouldn't cause a water spout like you are describing.

Sometimes if these machines are in a cold laundry room it may need to be ran for at least 10 minutes to warm the transmission oil up before the neutral drain will work correctly.

The original version of this machine when it came out in the early 80's didn't have a neutral drain and always went directly into spin/drain at the same time - it's just much harder on the clutch/causes more clutch wear when it drain and spins at the same time with a full tub of water and clothes.

I've ran across many of these direct drive Whirlpools with a neutral drain that doesn't stay in neutral for the 2 minute drain period and for the most part no one every wants to fix it and every thing still works fine when I clean the clutch lining and bell with emory cloth and shim one of the clutch spring cups with a number 10 flat washer.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#32 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:30 AM

It sounds like you do have a neutral drain problem, but that shouldn't cause a water spout like you are describing.

Sometimes if these machines are in a cold laundry room it may need to be ran for at least 10 minutes to warm the transmission oil up before the neutral drain will work correctly.

The original version of this machine when it came out in the early 80's didn't have a neutral drain and always went directly into spin/drain at the same time - it's just much harder on the clutch/causes more clutch wear when it drain and spins at the same time with a full tub of water and clothes.

I've ran across many of these direct drive Whirlpools with a neutral drain that doesn't stay in neutral for the 2 minute drain period and for the most part no one every wants to fix it and every thing still works fine when I clean the clutch lining and bell with emory cloth and shim one of the clutch spring cups with a number 10 flat washer.

ok thanks,  at this point I need to try that to satisfy my curiosity.  I think it will work ok now that I put it back together with silicon on the lid gasket but I agree it is hard on the clutch and noisey when it ingages at a higher speed than nomal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics