Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

separating a Kenmore stacked washer/dryer combination

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Murf

Murf

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maple Syrup

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:16 AM

Kenmore Washer Model # 41744042400

Kenmore Dryer Model # 417.84042500

Washer has two broken shock absorbers. I need to pull the washer out of the cubbyhole that's it's in in order to access the rear of the machine. It has a dryer affixed on top of it. I am thinking that I need to remove the dryer from on top in order to pull the washer out.

Should I try to pull both units out as one or should I remove the dryer from on top? If I need to remove the dryer I would appreciate any info I can get on how they might be attached. 

Thanks

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:52 AM

If you can remove the washer front lower panel.........................the shock pins can be removed from the front........Use a 1/2 " deep well socket and slip it over the pins and push with small wood dowel that fits into square drive of socket  / pull with pliers the shock pins towards the rear..........If you want to remove the dryer, look at the bottom front of the dryer, small white plugs, remove plugs, remove fasteners, push dryer back a bit and lift to remove..............Place on some thing high, just as tall as the washer, so you do not need to bend over.............(if you are doing it by your self).............

#3 Murf

Murf

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:40 AM

I can remove the front panel with no trouble. The repair video tells me to remove the rear panel and them remove a couple of more items in order to make room to effect the repair. I would much prefer not having to mess with the dryer and go in from the front. Is there any thing I will need to remove in order to replace both shocks if I do in from the front panel?

Thanks

#4 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:07 AM

If I remember correctly.......There is not much in the way......If there is, just remove the fasteners and move out of the way....................Could take some pictures if you are going to remove a few and finish the job in a few days....Doing from the front is so you do not have to pull it from a small, ill conceived  hole in the wall.......it may take a bit longer wrestling the pins  but you do not have to spend a lota time reconnecting things that could cause problems later  ( customer calls and sez " After reconnected the dryer vent,   it does not dry as good ")..... But, it is a good time to sell the customer a new set of  S.S. braided water supply lines.. :thumbsup: ......Lay a towel across the front lip of the lower opening of the washer..........................P.S. upper left pin is the hardest to push out, a good set of " Channel-Lok" pliers work good to pull with ...Remember, you are scrapping the old pins, so if you damage them, Who cares......

#5 Murf

Murf

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:16 AM

Thank you very much. The parts come in on saturday. i will attempt the fix on Sunday and will let you know how i do.

#6 Murf

Murf

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:30 PM

Parts came on time & the repair has been completed, from the front.

Good advice...thank you

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,365 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:08 PM

For future seekers:

Part link for the shocks: http://www.repaircli...er=417.44042400

How to replace:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics