Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

LG PRESSURE SENSOR OPERATION

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 centralappliance1

centralappliance1

Samanera

• Chief Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:19 PM

Hi,

I am a seasoned service tech and was wondering if anyone knows the actual testing and operation of the LG washer pressure sensor. I have taken it apart and unlike most pressure switches there is a round magnet that passes between 2 small capacitors. I have checked on my meter and the best thing that I can figure out is that there is a small millivolt produced when the magnet passes by the capacitors. This obviously is very different from your standard bellows pressing a switch. ANyone with any info for testing and readings or if you know exactly how this works let me know.

Thanks

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:21 PM

Central, any particular model or part number?

Edited by PDuff, 18 October 2013 - 02:22 PM.

#3 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:55 PM

The Water Level Frequency Sensor operation is based on the displacement of the *coil* attached to the diaphragm.

When the *coil* raises or lowers---it changes the electronically resonant characteristics of the oscillator circuit.

The water level is measured by the Main Board---by frequency readings.

I've never had a failed Water Level Sensor.

It is best tested while on the washer---by using the TEST MODE.

On most LG washers---the Test Mode is enabled by pressing and holding the SPIN SPEED and SOIL LEVEL buttons---and then pressing the POWER button (release all 3 buttons and wait for the door to lock).

Press the START / PAUSE button 4 times at one second intervals (Prewash Cold Water Fill)

The display read-out on the Control Panel will show the *frequency*

Empty---the frequency read-out should be about 255

A tub full of water should show a frequency of about 214 (depending on model number)

Some of the errors that can be displayed---relating to water fill are...

IE error:

Little or no water---usually caused by a failed Water Valve

FE error:

Too much water (overflow detected)---Can be a failed/stuck open Water Valve or blockage in the black air tube which is connected to the Water Level Frequency Sensor. Disconnect the tube from the sensor---and blow air back into the tub to clear obstruction.

To test the Water Level Frequency Sensor outside of the washer...

Use a test meter to check the ohms between pins 1 and 3 (should have between 21 & 23 ohms).

Edited by john63, 18 October 2013 - 08:58 PM.

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#4 centralappliance1

centralappliance1

Samanera

• Chief Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:17 PM

Hey thanks a million for the information. Yes I had read the ohms on the outside pins at 22 ohms on the new switch, but the old one read nothing. Makes total sense now looking at in given the magnet passing over to change the frequency. Thanks again!

#5 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:20 PM

You're welcome:)

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

Understanding how the Water Level Sensor in LG Washing Machines work

By Samurai Appliance Repair Man in Samurai Appliance Repair Man's Blog, on 19 October 2013 - 08:10 AM

Water level sensing in LG washers is done differently from how you may be used to seeing it done in other brands. Whirlpool, GE, Electrolux and others use an air tube connecting an air dome on the tub to a pressure sensor with a physical diaphragm or transducer that "feels" the water level increase as an increase in pressure inside the air tube. LG uses...

Read Full Entry →

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics