Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Thermador Built-In Refrigerator KBUDT4850A Is Dark and Quiet

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 morangta

morangta

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:heinekin

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:18 PM

We came home at 5PM and found our Thermador built-in refrigerator KBUDT4850A dark and quiet.

There's nothing working.

The circuit breaker at the electric box does not appear tripped and I carefully shut it off and on three times.

We put this unit in service November, 2005.

What are some possibilities that could cause this? I figure it's something either very bad or not that bad.

Any comments are welcome. Thanks. Ted

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 morangta

morangta

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:55 PM

The factory-recommended repair guy came and immediately identified the power-disconnect switch on the condenser box at the top of the unit as being tripped.

More checking found black color on one of the connection tabs, so he recommended switch replacement. He doesn't think anything's faulty other than the switch.

The co. at the Thermador (Bosch -BSH Home Appliances) website shipped next day & we got it the following day by paying $19more for overnight delivery (ordered 1:15PM Pacific at the caller).

The Thermador online site sells it for $45.

They sent an equivalent Whirlpool part (FSC) made in Mexico. Another online appliance store sells the Whirlpool switch for $27; the Bosch OEM switch, for $45.

Other online sites sell this part made by Carlyle for $4.

It's a 1" rocker switch, 2-pole, rated at 15A-125VAC or a 3/4HP motor 125VAC.

#3 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:24 PM

This refrigerator was manufactured for Thermador by Whirlpool.  It's identical to the Kitchenaid built-in.  The Whirlpool switch is recommended.

#4 morangta

morangta

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:08 PM

Thank you for the manufacturing info, Senpai. Can you reveal your source? My only agenda is just wanting to know information like this when I buy an appliance. My unit is eight (8) years old, and when it was five (5) years old in 2010, it couldn't maintain the refrigerator temp (refrigerator and freezer have separate systems, as you probably know). The diagnosis was a refrigerant leak so somehow I ended up with an entirely new cooling system. To be on the safe side, the tech installed a UV dye in the refrigerant so that he could locate the leak, in the event he was called back for another leak, but it never did fail to maintain temp again. Would be nice if it lasts for another 8yrs now, knock on wood x128, but probably the control board will go bad. :tongue:

May I ask you a refrigerator question, Senpai? Everyone says to clean the coils annually or semi-annually. I have not cleaned my coils since installation, eight (8) years ago. The coils are covered with dust on the edge of the coil array where the cooling air enters, but if you look back 1/2 inch or more, they are pretty clean and nothing shows on my finger. Our house was renovated at the same time the unit was installed, using Milgard plastic windows and fiberglass doors that are almost always closed. No kids, either.

Do you have any practical knowledge about whether I can go another eight (8) years under the same conditions without reducing the heat transfer capability of the coil/rectangular array of wires? I understand that the capability is down a little from time zero, but is it really enough to reduce the life of the appliance noticeably?

I am aware of all the sites and persons that say clean your coils, but I think it might cause more trouble than it's worth, under the "if it works, don't fix it" principle. If I loosen a coil array dust particle w/o vacuuming it, might it not do something to the condenser motor over time? I was hoping you had a case of two (2) units, one that was cleaned and another that got its coils somewhat dirty, comparing the unit lifetimes.

Thanks so much for getting back to me, Senpai. :pint1:

#5 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:58 PM

It's my privilege.  I actually prefer this model Thermador built-in over the newer, modular style.  Sounds like the technician that performed your sealed system repair knew what he was doing with the installation of the UV dye since you've had no further issues.  It's still a good idea to periodically check and clean the condenser coil for optimum air flow.  It allows the condenser to properly extract heat from the unit and keep the compressor cool.  Be sure to turn the unit off when cleaning by using the newly installed master power switch.

You should have years of service left in this refrigerator.  There is a main control board located in the upper unit section near the compressor that's responsible for all major component operations, from cooling and defrost, icemaker to interior lights.  I haven't researched your particular board but availability has been an issue for similar controls.  But no worries.  There are companies that can recondition your existing control if needed.  One is actually a Brother to these forums, Fixyourboard.

I've replaced shorted master switches on Kitchenaid built-ins with no further problems.  I'd say you're good to go!

#6 morangta

morangta

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:04 PM

My repairman just cautioned me to keep my coils clean to conserve the circuit board mounted in the condenser box.

He's right, because just a few degrees temperature can drastically affect the lifetime of a circuit board.

There's the justification for cleaning the coils, even if they are just a little bit dirty.

#7 morangta

morangta

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:44 PM

Thanks so much for your comments, Senpai. Much appreciated. Based on your and my repairman's comment on the coils, will clean them 1-2x/year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics