Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Cycling Thermostat tester Inspired by Durham

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 curjones

curjones

Senpai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:diet coke

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:58 AM

I was Inspired by Durham Appliance to compete with him in the market shares of Samuriai's profit, and prophet's of wisdom income producing Gadets.

This is my version of a dryer cycling thermostat (or whatever the proper name is) test device with instant  temp feed back (+/- 10 deg).  Not going to do a lot of typing the pictures tell the story will try to put them in sequence.  May need admin help.

This has a built in high limit safety device, if you can't hold that plastic coffee can, no more (or it's melting, LOL) AND the meter has not changed  from continuity to No continuity (my  fluke meter displays ol, no continuity)  THEN YOU MIGHT HAVE A BAD CYCLING THERMOSTAT.

IF you continue to hold on to it at that point THEN YOU MIGHT BE a CHEESE-DORK (up north term) 

OR

A REDNECK (down here in the south)

OH, that is a hair, blow dryer, not a heat gun, not an torch, or flame thrower.  A blow dryer set on hot air..  lol

Attached Files

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,721 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:50 AM

That is cool as all get out!... if i may be so bold....

"Tired of using inaccurate heat plates? Fed up with throwing away good expensive cycling thermostats? Fear no more. Cur has the cure! Introducing...... Cur's Super Cycling Saver! "

well that's the best my marketing dept can do on short notice and before my, I mean their, morning coffee.

For innovation, usefulness, humour and coolness you receive 4 of the newly designated Durham's Coveted Kip Awards :

20048442yu_zps7ce394db.gif20048442yu_zps7ce394db.gif
20048442yu_zps7ce394db.gif20048442yu_zps7ce394db.gif

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#3 curjones

curjones

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:32 PM

Got my clips today to make your thermister tester, thanks for the Kip awards,

Curtis,

#4 curjones

curjones

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:43 PM

Update,  I tested some older cyclers and my temp gauge got to 180 degrees, but it did not cycle off,  used the put it on the griddle method and they did cycle off, but I have no idea what temp the griddle was,  about 200 degrees I'm guessing.  A new cycling them will cut out in this test tube baby of mine.

There may be an issue of heat transfering to the thermometer faster than the surface of the cycling therm.  may need to use a metal can for the back.

I sent out a dryer with a bad, never would shut off cycle therm, so thats why I wanted to make a tester, I also have a place that has some used parts and want a fast, handy way to test several in a hurry.  With out cooking pancakes and sausage in the process..

#5 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,721 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:35 AM

yeah, we run our dryers and look and listen for the cycling before selling them but having a tester for onsite repairs as well the ability to test and keep cycling therms from scrapped dryers is invaluable.

I think you are on to something regarding the metal can. Maybe even a soda can (insulated so as to not burn your hand) and heat gun?

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#6 curjones

curjones

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:31 AM

Yeah, had that in my mind about insulating the can, may have to throw in one welders glove in the PPE list of require equipment list.  may have to include it in the kit set.  Price will have to go up from. 39.95 to 59.99, when we get it to market.  Lol

#7 tonytech81

tonytech81

IkkĊ-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Lime @ cold Tea

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:50 PM

Bro that a kook tool salvage baby that how we do it

#8 -Mike-

-Mike-

Kohai

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:diet Pepsi

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:08 AM

I have the perfect answer for you....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSLy06mv18iIqVQb-zWEl2

It won't be damaged by heat

You can hold the handle to keep from burning your hand

It looks like a high tech tool that will impress your customer

Its stainless steel that will hold up to lots of use of abuse. The ultimate in long term durability.

#9 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,760 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:14 AM

That's cool!

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.justintimeappliance.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics