Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Replacing a freezer door seal - any tips? How difficult is it?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 BlueRidgeMark

BlueRidgeMark

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:10 PM

I have a Whirlpool upright freezer (model # EV250NXTQ 00)  It's about a 25 cubic footer, if'n I remembers kerreckly.

The door seal has a significant gap on the bottom half of the opening side of the door, with predictable results.  :(

I think I might know a good place to order the seal :wink: , but how big a job is it?  Any tips to make it easy?  I can't even see how to start removing the old one, let alone installing the new one.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:16 PM

You may be able to use a heat gun or possibly a hair dryer to close the gap. You may have to stretch it a bit. Sometimes the door can be bent is a little as well. I use my leg propped against it and push in the corner where the gap is. If you are bent on a new seal, you have gaps to seal anyway. You can soak the seal in hot water to help it expand but may still need to seal gaps with a gun. Is the gasket screwed on? If so, take maybe 1/3 of the screws out and start working the new seal on as you take the old off and screw it on. Do not remove all the screws at once. I would start with the heat gun and bending the door before you do the gasket. They can be a pain.

#3 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Home brewed ice tea

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:49 PM

I prefer to change one out on a hot day.  I Lay the gasket out on hot concrete for 30 minutes plus.  Gasket gets hot & pliable. Then I lay the door on a blanket, start at a corner removing 25 percent of screws & gasket.   I start laying in new gasket snug up screws.  Work on next 25% etc. until complete.  I eye ball door & adjust as needed.   When satisfied outside I then hang door on unit &  usually end up adjusting little more, using heat gun for final touch.  Leave for. a few days & comeback for more adjusting.     They are a pain, you have to be diligent & charge accordingly.     Practice on an condemned unit would not hurt.    

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

#4 curjones

curjones

Senpai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:diet coke

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:37 PM

There are some good videos on this,  the ones i just did had no screws.  take door off and put on table, saw horse.

Use any of the aboved mentioned methods to heat up the seal, soak in hot water.  I used a blow dryer.

Make sure you lay new over old gasket before you cut off old.

Removing the old seal.  Make sure you don't pull up on gasket, use diagonal cutters to make a cut in one section, pull out and remove old gasket.

Use a puddy knife with tape marking 3/4 inches of blade.  Go all the way around the seal grove area and make sure the channel is clear of old seal and any glue or foam insulation.  DO NOT push blade of puddy knife in any further than the 3/4 inches.

USE a nut driver blunt end to push the seal in place. DO NOT USE PUDDY KNIFE

Read more: http://appliantology.../#ixzz2iW7024oS
Follow us: fixitnowsamurai on Facebook

Start a one corner, get that coner started, the move to the opsite, (diagonal ) corner and start that corner

Here is where I used the blow dryer, as I went to the next corner I heated and pulled gently, to get the next corner,  the last corner may be the most difficult if you have a cold day or cold seal, heat, dont force.  Don't pull at corner where it is glued together, grab near it on one run side or the other, blow dryer heating.

When you get the corners in, now you can go around and start pushing the rest of the seal in to slot, 

USE a nut driver blunt end to push the seal in place. DO NOT USE PUDDY KNIFE

This I did the first time with no problems, they are a pain if they are not warm.

Again this was a non screw type seal.  Strongly suggest you watch a video first.  Repair clinic, or appliance part pro.  Samurai may have one.  seals are not cheap.  good luck

Edited by curjones, 22 October 2013 - 11:41 PM.

#5 curjones

curjones

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:46 PM

Hey, thanks for putting a link in the post, I need to learn how to do that,  Where do you store the links, on a word page?  I know how to cut and paste.  I want to be able to give back to the community and be a team player.  Still learning how to organize files, not a computer guro but can get around so- so

#6 curjones

curjones

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:59 PM

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=LuSTFHcT04w  this is what I watched.

#7 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:34 PM

Concur with the Brethren.  Unless the gasket is torn, replace only as a last resort.  The new gasket when received will be folded and bent like a pretzel and equally difficult to shape, even with the tips and tricks shared here.  Before replacing the gasket, try reforming the existing one along with realigning the door and liner.  After heating the gasket and with the door still installed and gasket in place, slightly loosen all of the liner screws and shape the door to the cabinet, closing the gaps.  Then carefully open the door and tighten all screw starting at the corners, then sides, bottom and top.  Apply more heat to the affect area of gasket until it forms to and grabs the cabinet.  Leave the door closed 24 hours.  If a slight gap reappears, roll a piece of paper towel and fit it under the gasket until the gap closes.  Apply heat and leave door closed.  If the existing gasket isn't damaged, I've found this method works better than replacing the gasket, especially on the upright freezers.

Edited by PDuff, 23 October 2013 - 01:58 PM.

#8 BlueRidgeMark

BlueRidgeMark

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:33 PM

So, I take it I should not use the putty knife?   :biggrin:

Thanks for all the info!   Hot days are in short supply here in Virginia, so I guess it's blow dryer time.  I'll work on getting the old one rehabilitated and see how that goes.

You guys are the greatest!   :cheers:

#9 BlueRidgeMark

BlueRidgeMark

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:03 PM

Well, I haven't replace the seal.  Been too busy to tackle it.  But now there's a wrinkle.  I have discovered that the door itself is warped.  The distance between the freezer and the door is 3/4" on the hinge side, top & bottom, 5/8" on the top opening side, and 1 1/4" on the bottom opening side.

Any chance of taking this door off and tweaking it back?  Anybody ever done this successfully?

If not, I'm going to McGuyver some weatherstripping to make the seal work.   The freezer works just fine except for this minor (huge) detail.

#10 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:12 PM

Yep. I've stuck my leg or foot on the outside bottom of the door and pulled the top of the door to straighten a warped door. It works quite often for me.

Edited by BryanS, 12 December 2013 - 09:12 PM.

#11 olyteddy

olyteddy

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Earl Grey

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:06 PM

Incidentally a hair dryer or small steamer is more appropriate than a heat gun. Heat guns heat too quick and it's tough to not melt the door or liner with one.

#12 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,808 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:29 AM

Some other tips in one of my ancient of days blog posts:  http://fixitnow.com/...et-replacement/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics