Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kindle fire, apps, clouds, lost in space, droid

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 curjones

curjones

Senpai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:diet coke

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:32 PM

Saw the kindle fire video and wonder, if there is a updated version or new one to get. I want to download and have the sheets in my hand.

I have the free version of evernotes and that has helped using my phone to store model number and notes.

See all these terms and need to bone up, store your file on a drive server outside of computer and then you can get access if you have an app on the phone, thats a question. Cloud, drive??

Trying to get organized and avoid carrying a shop and office to job. Called it high speed low drag in the military.

What tools are you using for data, and notes.

Lets say I want to have tech sheets that cover whirpool washer for the year 2006. How many tech sheets will I have to download to cover the top loads, and then the frontloads.. any idea.

Being in the boy scouts has trained me to always be prepared, going to a service call, with no tech sheet and finding out it's gone is what we call here in the south "A blind HOG trying to find an acorn"

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 J5

J5

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:30 AM

tablet with microsd card 32 or 64Gb card

i guess depends on how much data you have stored

#3 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,407 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:19 AM

evernote for notes, etc and dropbox for manuals. An sd card slot is not necessary if you always have an internet connection. If not an sd slot, make sure to get a tablet with at least 32gb of internal memory. I also find it useful to get the premium version of evernote and dropbox. You get increased storage with dropbox, better searching and local storage of files
with evernote.

For hardware discussion see http://appliantology...xus#entry269888

for software discussion see http://appliantology...appliance +guys

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,823 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:42 AM

Saw the kindle fire video 

Several months after I made that video, I was lured back onto the Apple orchard and got an iPad mini.  I use an iPhone and iMac so it made sense to stay in the Apple ecosystem.  If you're not on the plantation, however, I think the Kindle Fire is great bargain and an effective info tool for the appliance warrior.  You can still get  the new Kindle Fire with 16 GB of storage for less than $200:  http://www.amazon.co...g=mrssamskit-20

If you're using it to store mostly PDFs and a few short how-to videos, that's plenty of space.  

#5 Thirstytech

Thirstytech

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Oberon

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:10 AM

Several months after I made that video, I was lured back onto the Apple orchard and got an iPad mini.  I use an iPhone and iMac so it made sense to stay in the Apple ecosystem.  If you're not on the plantation, however, I think the Kindle Fire is great bargain and an effective info tool for the appliance warrior.  You can still get  the new Kindle Fire with 16 GB of storage for less than $200:  http://www.amazon.co...g=mrssamskit-20

If you're using it to store mostly PDFs and a few short how-to videos, that's plenty of space.  

Agreed,I too am a fan of the Apple stuff.  

If you are looking to travel lightly yet with complete support documents always at arms reach, consider upgrading your phone.  It can store all the PDF's you can handle and always be right there on your hip.  It's working for me with my iphone 4S.

#6 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,407 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:08 PM

I use my phone most of the time but when i need to look at diagrams i need something a bit larger. I agree, stay with apple if you are already in that ecosystem. If not, I would advise the Google nexus 7 over the kindle. The 16g nexus is 229 and is more versatile and a better android experience.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#7 curjones

curjones

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:30 AM

Thanks for the input, I'm sort of in the droid zone for now, have to keep initial cost for tech gadgets down, using straight talk, which i could get an I phone to use, but have windows based, and using google for apps.  Still learning what I can use on phone and computer and sync up.  Sort of need the dummies book..  I think I have the basics from what you've told me.  I need a bigger phone, bigger screen.  the one i have was preloaded with junk and has poor space availiable, has sd card but no room to run on main system.

I have three written to do list, a parts i need to order list on two apps on the phone, pdfs on the computer, some printed out, and my bright ideas some where else.  lol  Oh and two white planing board in the office, one for work plan, and the other for cash flow and units that can become assets if i fix them.

Have debts I owe and accounts receivable, plus cash on hand and bank account balance.  lol my wife thinks I'm trying to avoid going to bed or chating.. i'm trying to get organized and run a business, its eaiser to have just a job... but to me this is what I want to learn and do.  I have worked years for others and now I'm working for myself.

#8 J5

J5

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:13 AM

evernote for notes, etc and dropbox for manuals. An sd card slot is not necessary if you always have an internet connection. If not an sd slot, make sure to get a tablet with at least 32gb of internal memory. I also find it useful to get the premium version of evernote and dropbox. You get increased storage with dropbox, better searching and local storage of files
with evernote.

if you always have an internet conection

not always the case and if you are paying for data etc

its easy to have on sd and its always onhand

the other thing i use my tab for is if i know a model i am going to see that i havent worked on before or will need the diagnostic info then

i look up the night before and load it into my tablet sd

#9 curjones

curjones

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:30 PM

if you always have an internet conection

not always the case and if you are paying for data etc

its easy to have on sd and its always onhand

the other thing i use my tab for is if i know a model i am going to see that i havent worked on before or will need the diagnostic info then

if i know a model i am going to see that i havent worked on before or will need the diagnostic info then

That is what I try to do,  Mr customer what is the model number,  if I get called on a minutes notice time, I need internet on the run, get to site get the real model number, and come here to see/hope someone has down loaded the manual for that model.  Lots of times thhe model I am going to work on is not exactly the same, and I don't know what models are covered on that tech sheet.  So here I have to put in my request and allow the masters ( I had typed maters here lol)  to help me get it right.

As I get better and learn I hope to say ahso.. this one and that one use this one, (tech sheet) and I just so happen to have it here in my hand.

I tried to make a simple customer phone call, and my phone acts like a stubborn mule.. wont move..  then I look down and its calling someone else.  I cancel the call. It's now trying to call the person three times..  When I need to text, it wont send a pic, or keyboard locks up.

So this is why I need to find out such things as this.  I appreciate the input and I'm getting most of it.  Just watched the vid on data logging a fridge.  Brain is engaged in another sector.  FOCUS Focus one thing at a time.

Edited by curjones, 25 October 2013 - 09:32 PM.

#10 jbeckman713

jbeckman713

Ikkō-ikki

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Diet Pepsi

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:26 AM

I use the Nexus 10 and my droid Razor Max as a hotspot so I always have internet connection on my tablet if needed. Works great if your in the Droid and Android system.

#11 FieldHarmony

FieldHarmony

Samanera

• Master Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Mucho Aloha

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:55 PM

One cannot over emphasize the value of internet connectivity in the field.  It is worth every penny of the monthly data charge you must pay.  Cloud storage is definitely the way to go.  As field workers our devices are subject to a brutal front of hazards including rain, washers, getting stepped on, dropped, lost and much more.  Keeping all my documents in the cloud means that if I ever damage my hardware, I can just pick up another device and be full speed ahead.  

And, I'm sorry, but even if you have 10 years of tech sheets accumulated you can never have them all.   Having an internet connection in the field includes Google!  Searching a tech sheet and a model number in Google will return results faster than any human can sort through his thumb drive collection.

Spend 5 hours organizing your tech sheets on a thumb drive and lose it?  You are out 5 hours.  Spend 5 hours organizing your tech sheets in the cloud-never lose it again.   Pretty simple I think.

For multi-person organizations I have to say Google drive is the way.  I can share my whole 10 year collection of accumulated tech sheets with any new tech we hire in a matter of seconds and it is available to him any time any place.  If they tech leaves our company I simply un-share the collection from him just as quickly. 

This is pretty new technology that has just became available in the last 5ish years.  We didn't have these options just a short time ago.  Cellular internet coverage is growing like a weed and "dead zones" will be a thing of the past in the near future.  

Invest your time and effort in a cloud based solution....you will be happy you did.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics