Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Slow Dip on Rudd Power Vent Water Heater

dgp

I have a slow drip from my Rudd Water Heater through the Temp and Pressure Relief Value.

The heater is a Power Vent model PVP75FW

We are on well water and the water contains minerals which have damaged other appliances.  We have installed a CSI filter recently.

So, being a relief valve, I'm wondering if it is "Relieving" itself or if I may have a damaged valve.

And just out of curiosity, how many others type "value" for "valve".  I seem to do it all the time.

dgp

By "slow leak" I mean perhaps just under a gallon over 30 hours or so.

No.  And I say that with the conviction of a man with a 5 year old loose in the house.  

I simply noticed a bit a water on the floor, then started to keep an eye on it with a pan underneath.

I don't know the formal name, but the valve is the type that flicks open with a finger.  It is self closing with a spring load.

I was searching the forum and manuals and noticed that thermal expansion can be an issue.  We have a well and bladder, so I don't know that our system is actually "closed".

A well tank acts as a place for the pressure buildup, when the water is heated, to go. Unless there is a check valve between the heater and the well tank. A few water softeners have built in check valves.

Sometimes the t&p valve gets weak.

Sometimes the well pressure switch goes bad and the pump runs a little too high once in awhile.

Sometimes the bladder tank fails and is waterlogged (the pump goes on and off every several seconds when using water.)

Sometimes the t&p wept a little and developed debris in the valve seat and starts to drip.

Sometimes it is actually a symptom of excess pressure or temperature. Not very often does the leak have anything to do with the actual pressure or temperature being to high though, in my experience. 6 out of 10 if you put on a new valve it is then fine.

The system has been working fine for years, so I'd think I can cross off the bladder and new pressure increases.

Seems like starting with a new valve would be the best, safe bet.  Is replacing the valve a DIY option?

Edited by dgp

I'm not a Water Heater expert, but do you know what the actual hot water temperature is ?

Also, if possible, turn the Water Heater OFF for a day or so

to see if it continues to leak (without the water "expanding")

There have been discussions on wheather to "test" the T&P Valve once in a while, which may flush out some rust.

OR that "rust" may prevent the Valve from closing completly.

Also, have you recently drained a few gallons from the bottom Water Valve to flush out the "rust" ?

Pie.

Get new valve (same rating on tag)

Shutoff water

Turn off power to heater (& gas too if u r the paranoid type)

Drain water out of old t&p by pulling handle till no more comes out (dont let anyone open a faucet while doing this) or at bottom boiler drain

Thread tape new valve (5 wraps should do it)

Remove old valve

Thread in new valve

Water back on

• Like 1

Of course I had the idea of flushing out the water heater only after I had the problem.  That's just me and my endless list of projects.  So, yes, I will flush it out.  And, no, I haven't done it lately.  And, yes, I have done it before.

Thanks for the suggestions.  Wonderful site!!

• 2 weeks later...

The pressure valve looks like a standardized part.  Can I simply go to Home Depot and get something like this Valve?

Or perhaps the pressure setting has to match.  I've tried the other suggestions and feel I simply need to replace it.

Thats the one. The reason i say make it match is because there are many kinds for many applications. Some are only pressure, some are for low pressures, some are for high temps. But most any valve meant for a residential water heater are fine. That DOES NOT INCLUDE the ones for tankless heaters. They are usually pressure only (they dont have the white probe sticking out past the threads). Note that some water heaters have a longer than standard valve because they have thick insulation on the tank. ie: http://t.homedepot.com/p/Cash-Acme-3-4-in-Temperature-and-Pressure-Relief-Valve-with-2-1-2-in-Shank/203164786/?MERCH=REC-_-tablet_pip1_rr-1-_-NA-_-203164786-_-N&showPLP=false

Try to avoid the cheap ones. Not worth the time.

Edited by Bullstok
  • Like 1

Note that some water heaters have a longer than standard valve because they have thick insulation on the tank. ie: http://t.homedepot.com/p/Cash-Acme-3-4-in-Temperature-and-Pressure-Relief-Valve-with-2-1-2-in-Shank/203164786/?MERCH=REC-_-tablet_pip1_rr-1-_-NA-_-203164786-_-N&showPLP=false

Try to avoid the cheap ones. Not worth the time.

I actually did get a pressure valve from Home Depot with too short an extension and had to take it back.  The longer valve was needed to get through the insulation.  Unfortunately, I didn't heed your warning and had to make two trips.  Now all is well.  Thanks Yamabushi.