Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Rinse/Spin problem with GE WBSR3140DOWW

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 dutchbrian

dutchbrian

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:29 PM

Hi

We have the GE WBSR3140 and the rinse and spin cycle only works when the washer is empty. It does not function on a normal wash cycle. The water just stays in the drum and the control timer just clicks round.

I have removed the front, removed the control panel and checked all connections, hoses and the pump. Everything looks OK. I think it is a sensor fault but I no idea what it could be or what part might be the problem or how to repair it.

We live in The Netherlands but is a US machine so would need to order any parts.

Can anyone help to got any ideas how to correct the problem?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:24 PM

Not sure I understand the symptoms. Does it agitate at all? Won't drain in normal cycle but will in other cycles? If timer is running, the sensor (pressure switch) is working. Sounding like a timer problem (bad contacts) but need more info on the symptoms. Can you post photo of the wiring diagram? Should be folded up behind control panel. I have similar version but not exact one you have.

Eric

#3 dutchbrian

dutchbrian

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:25 PM

Hi Eric,

IF you run a normal wash programme, the water fills and the agitator works ok but the water does not drain nor does rinse or spin work. The timer then continues round and just keeps going. In fact we actually let it run overnight and it did not stop!!

If you remove the water and cloths and then run the rinse and spin option of quick wash programme, the water fills and the spin works. If you run the same rinse and spin programme with the water still in the drum, there is no agitation working and as the timer is moving, you can hear clicking sounds as it appears to go through different programme steps. Do you have an e-mail address as the photos of the wiring diagram is too big to send with this reply

Thanks

Brian

#4 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:05 PM

So, basically, the pump never works? Washer must drain in order for it to go into spin. If it stays full of water, timer will continue endlessly. Since you only have "grasshopper" status, I can't PM you my email address and you can't post photo's. Either post the photo to a website such as Photobucket and provide link here or upgrade to apprentice ($10) and we can send private messages.

Eric

#5 dutchbrian

dutchbrian

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:41 PM

If you run the rinse and spin on the quick programme, it will spin if there is no water in the drum. I dismantled the pump and it appears to be working fine. I also checked the hoses. The problem must be to do with detecting the water level and then entering the rinse/spin cycle. Your description of the timer continuing when it does not drain is exactly what happens.

#6 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:49 PM

Does the washer drain after agitation????

#7 dutchbrian

dutchbrian

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:51 PM

No, it just agitates

#8 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:57 PM

After agitation stops, you need to check for power at the pump terminals. Either the pump is faulty, or it's not getting power through the timer contacts.

How are you powering the washer? Isn't power there 220vac?

#9 dutchbrian

dutchbrian

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:00 PM

I think the pump is ok because it is impossible to remove manually all the water from the drum but the pump functions ok to remove the remaining  residual water on the rinse/spin programme when the drum is empty. Maybe it is the timer control.

power is 220v but we use a step down transformer (1000w) to 110v.

#10 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:13 PM

That's why I suggest checking voltage at the pump terminals after agitation stops and washer should be draining. If you don't get power there, then the timer is faulty. It's the only way to be sure it's the timer vs the pump.

http://www.repaircli...2X10254/1053677

Eric

#11 dutchbrian

dutchbrian

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:38 PM

How would I check the voltage at the pump? I have a meter

#12 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:07 PM

Set the meter to read ac voltage. After agitation stops, place meter probes into back of connectors at the pump. Make sure probe tips are touching the metal part of the wire terminals inside the plastic covers. There may be a short period of time between when agitation stops and draining should begin. Shouldn't be more than a minute. If the timer just continues around and you never get power to the pump, then the timer is faulty. If you get power but pump doesn't run, then the pump is faulty or something is jamming it.

Eric

#13 dutchbrian

dutchbrian

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:49 PM

I will run the test this weekend and let you know. My wife is flying to the States next weekend so we can arrange to send any new parts to our friends address in Oregon .

Brian

#14 dutchbrian

dutchbrian

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:08 PM

Hi Eric,

I have run a number of tests with my multimeter on the pump as suggested.

I ran the Delicates programme. Water entered the drum and the drum was agitated. No voltage at pump during agitation phase of programme. When the agitation stopped, the pump voltage rose to 114-117v but there was no drainage, rinse or spin during rest of cycle. The timer automatically moved to next programme.

Ran rinse & spin programme from Easy Care with water still in drum.  Voltage stayed at 114-117v but there as no drain, rinse or spin.

I emptied the drum using wet/dry vacuum and ran rinse & spin Easy Cares programme. Water enters at start with pump voltage  0v is zero. No agitation took place. 20% into programme pump voltage rose to 116v but no spin. Timer clicking.

I emptied the drum leaving 2 inches water in drum. Ran last 50% part of rinse & spin Easy Care programme.
Pump voltage drops to 103v with 1-2 secs agitation, tries to drain and spin with pump voltage rising to 115v. Towards end of programme (last 15%)  pump voltage drops to zero.

I removed the last two inches of water and ran second half of rinse & spin EasyCare programme. Some water (two inches) added. During 1-2 secs agitation pump voltage drops to 104. When agitation stops, pump voltage rises to 115v. There is a slight smell of overheating and pump is warm/hot to touch. Shortly before end of programme, pump voltage drops to zero.

I ran the last 15% of rinse and spin EayCare programme. There was a  longer period of agitation (15-30 sec) of the residual water (between drum and outer drum casing) pump voltage mainly around 115v but fluctuates from. 99-140v There was no drain or spin.

I hope that helps. It seems it could be the pump or perhaps the sensor that detects there is water in the drum.

Brian

#15 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:18 PM

, the pump voltage rose to 114-117v but there was no drainage, rinse or spin during rest of cycle.

Pump is faulty or jammed with clothing/debris, or drain hoses are blocked.

http://www.repaircli...23X10013/908512

Eric

#16 dutchbrian

dutchbrian

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:41 PM

Hi

Could the fact that the machine was unused  stored in the house, for about 2 years be the reason for the pump failure? It was in working order when we bought it. I have actually dismantled the pump itself and the impeller moves freely.  I could not feel any hose blockages when I dismantled the pump. I guess perhaps the pump electronics may have got damaged when we transported from the seller to us.

Brian

#17 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:orange juice

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:56 PM

If you have the pump out, hook it up to 110 volts direct and see if it runs.. Or check continuity with your ohm meter.  Sounds like a pump problem!

#18 MicaBay

MicaBay

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:13 PM

power is 220v but we use a step down transformer (1000w) to 110v.

What is the voltage coming out of this step down transformer? While under load and sitting idle?

#19 telefunkenu47

telefunkenu47

Kohai

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:13 PM

Could the polarity be reversed coming into the machine? Jus t check to make sure that neutral and cabinet ground are in the right place and get back to us. Lets rule out the  stupid stuff first.

Even root canal is easy...if you're a dentist...

#20 dutchbrian

dutchbrian

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:12 AM

I will try and answer the questions.

Polarity looks ok, grounding looks ok.

voltage coming out of transformer (idle) is 115v. Not sure how to test under load?

put multimeter across pump in situ, machine powered up but idle, gave a read of 12ohm. Pump is rated at 120v, 85W, 60Hz.

Hope that helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics