Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

dutchbrian

Rinse/Spin problem with GE WBSR3140DOWW

39 posts in this topic

OK, rigged up a cable as suggested and tested the pump directly from the transformer. I could feel it vibrating and hear a hum so I guess it is working. So where might the problem be, pressure sensor, timer?

I could disassemble pump unit and hoses again and take a further look....

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

We are getting nowhere. Were the quick disconnect terminals for the pump clean? No corrosion, burning?

1 person likes this

look, a hum and a vibration does not mean it is working.  Take the hoses off and check inside to see if the impeller is moving.

1 person likes this

Another thing to consider is that you are running 60hz motors on 50hz. They will run nearly 20% slower, have less torque and run hotter because the windings are oversaturated.

Eric

1 person likes this

I have completely removed the pump assembly and checked it visually once removed using the jumper cable. The impeller is rotating freely. I then inserted a curtain wire (coiled stiff wire used for clearing pipes) into both drain hoses. There are no blockages in either pipes.

Would the slower pump/motor mean it cannot detect the presence of water in the drum?

I am so frustrated!!!!!

Brian

Hey Brian I feel your frustration.  Props for hanging in there.  The next thing I would do is put the pump back in and fill the washer with some water.  Then with water in the washer try running the pump direct.  If the pump is good it will pump out the water.  If it pumps out the water then we will start looking for why it isn't getting correct voltage from the washer connection.  Fairbanks and Eric both have good points, but I say first make sure it's not the pump.  good luck

1 person likes this

Hi

Sorry for the delay in responding. It has been a very busy week also with my wife traveling to Boston Ma. yesterday.

I added sufficient water to cover the lower impeller blades, a depth of about  i". I then added power to the pump itself using the jump cables I created. The pump functioned in that I felt and heard it moving, but no water got pumped out. It is almost as if the machine cannot detect that there is water in the drum. The plastic pipe on the left hand side of the drum (water level sensor?) is fixed to the nipples at both ends ok. Perhaps it is the electronic part of the sensor that is not functioning. Ideas anyone?

Brian

How could the pump be running but not pumping out the water?

Hi

Sorry for the delay in responding. It has been a very busy week also with my wife traveling to Boston Ma. yesterday.

I added sufficient water to cover the lower impeller blades, a depth of about  i". I then added power to the pump itself using the jump cables I created. The pump functioned in that I felt and heard it moving, but no water got pumped out. It is almost as if the machine cannot detect that there is water in the drum. The plastic pipe on the left hand side of the drum (water level sensor?) is fixed to the nipples at both ends ok. Perhaps it is the electronic part of the sensor that is not functioning. Ideas anyone?

Brian

How could the pump be running but not pumping out the water?

You may need a little more water.  It has to have enough water to pump it out the drain tube and still have water to push that water out.  other wise you have air in the line and it can't pump.  Try it with more water and the jumper.  If the hoses are not clogged and you have enough water, then the only thing it can be is the pump.  Put plenty of water and jump the pump and then get back to us.  It's looking like a bad pump.  The impeller could be loose or the pump could have bad bearings.  Does the pump make a lot of noise?  It may spin with no water in it, get a little water in it and maybe it can't spin.  Test it with water and a jumper cable and get back to us!

Hi

I have put a full rinse load of water, (6.5" depth), jumped the pump, the pump is turning and humming, vibrating but there is no pumping of water. It is almost as if there is no water in the pump but the hoses are free so I guess it must be the pump.

Brian

Hi

I have put a full rinse load of water, (6.5" depth), jumped the pump, the pump is turning and humming, vibrating but there is no pumping of water. It is almost as if there is no water in the pump but the hoses are free so I guess it must be the pump.

Brian

could be the pump is turning but the impeller is not turning.  if the hoses are clear, water comes from the hose to the tub and pump and the drain hose is clear then you need a pump.  Put the end of the drain hose down below the water level and see if the tank drains.  if so then it can only be the pump.

Hi

Back again. The new pump has been purchased and should be in The Netherlands on Tuesday.

A further question. If there was a small pin hole in the water pressure sensing tube, could that be causing the lack of pumping?

Brian

No, the pressure switch system has nothing to do with water pumpout.

Eric

Touchdown!!!!!!

Brian and Cyber Friends 1 American Washing Machine 0!!!!

The pump has been installed and the machine is working perfectly, a minor blip when the clip holding one of the pipes came off as not quite fixed correctly but once in proper position, everything is working fine.

Many thanks to everyone for their help, ideas and suggestions.

Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving

Brian

1 person likes this

Touchdown!!!!!!

Brian and Cyber Friends 1 American Washing Machine 0!!!!

The pump has been installed and the machine is working perfectly, a minor blip when the clip holding one of the pipes came off as not quite fixed correctly but once in proper position, everything is working fine.

Many thanks to everyone for their help, ideas and suggestions.

Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving

Brian

a job well done,  congratulations!