Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Rinse/Spin problem with GE WBSR3140DOWW

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:orange juice

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:27 AM

what do you mean machine powered up? Did you hook the pump up with a jumper to see if it runs.  So far as I can see the pump has never run.  Try hooking it up direct.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#22 dutchbrian

dutchbrian

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:34 AM

Machine is plugged into a 110v step down transformer (we are on 220v in The Netherlands) as if we were about to use for washing. Are you suggesting to take output from transformer directly to the pump? I am not sure I have the means to do that. Can I just construct some cables?

In all the time we have been trying to get it to work during the last week, I think the pump has only worked as it should twice.

Brian

#23 dutchbrian

dutchbrian

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:18 AM

Some further info...

My wife reminded me that when the machine was first switched on we used a 110v 100W step down transformer which started smoking. We then used the 110v 1000W and it seems to work fine. Could the pump have been damaged by using the wrong transformer?

Brian

#24 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:21 AM

Machine is plugged into a 110v step down transformer (we are on 220v in The Netherlands) as if we were about to use for washing. Are you suggesting to take output from transformer directly to the pump? I am not sure I have the means to do that. Can I just construct some cables?

In all the time we have been trying to get it to work during the last week, I think the pump has only worked as it should twice.

Brian

yes, rig up a plug to a cable and plug it into the transformer, then connect it to the pump.  I just want to see if the pump works as it should.  If not then we know you need a pump.  If the pump is ok, then we can look elsewhere for the problem.

#25 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:47 AM

"when the agitation stopped, the pump voltage rose to 114-117v but there was no drainage"

There was good voltage to the pump but no drainage. Pump is bad or pump/hoses blocked. No need to fashion a cheater cord to test pump.

Eric

#26 dutchbrian

dutchbrian

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:50 AM

OK, rigged up a cable as suggested and tested the pump directly from the transformer. I could feel it vibrating and hear a hum so I guess it is working. So where might the problem be, pressure sensor, timer?

I could disassemble pump unit and hoses again and take a further look....

#27 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:01 AM

We are getting nowhere. Were the quick disconnect terminals for the pump clean? No corrosion, burning?

#28 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:08 AM

look, a hum and a vibration does not mean it is working.  Take the hoses off and check inside to see if the impeller is moving.

#29 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:44 PM

Another thing to consider is that you are running 60hz motors on 50hz. They will run nearly 20% slower, have less torque and run hotter because the windings are oversaturated.

Eric

#30 dutchbrian

dutchbrian

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:39 PM

I have completely removed the pump assembly and checked it visually once removed using the jumper cable. The impeller is rotating freely. I then inserted a curtain wire (coiled stiff wire used for clearing pipes) into both drain hoses. There are no blockages in either pipes.

Would the slower pump/motor mean it cannot detect the presence of water in the drum?

I am so frustrated!!!!!

Brian

#31 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:55 PM

Hey Brian I feel your frustration.  Props for hanging in there.  The next thing I would do is put the pump back in and fill the washer with some water.  Then with water in the washer try running the pump direct.  If the pump is good it will pump out the water.  If it pumps out the water then we will start looking for why it isn't getting correct voltage from the washer connection.  Fairbanks and Eric both have good points, but I say first make sure it's not the pump.  good luck

#32 dutchbrian

dutchbrian

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:51 AM

Hi

Sorry for the delay in responding. It has been a very busy week also with my wife traveling to Boston Ma. yesterday.

I added sufficient water to cover the lower impeller blades, a depth of about  i". I then added power to the pump itself using the jump cables I created. The pump functioned in that I felt and heard it moving, but no water got pumped out. It is almost as if the machine cannot detect that there is water in the drum. The plastic pipe on the left hand side of the drum (water level sensor?) is fixed to the nipples at both ends ok. Perhaps it is the electronic part of the sensor that is not functioning. Ideas anyone?

Brian

How could the pump be running but not pumping out the water?

#33 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:21 PM

Hi

Sorry for the delay in responding. It has been a very busy week also with my wife traveling to Boston Ma. yesterday.

I added sufficient water to cover the lower impeller blades, a depth of about  i". I then added power to the pump itself using the jump cables I created. The pump functioned in that I felt and heard it moving, but no water got pumped out. It is almost as if the machine cannot detect that there is water in the drum. The plastic pipe on the left hand side of the drum (water level sensor?) is fixed to the nipples at both ends ok. Perhaps it is the electronic part of the sensor that is not functioning. Ideas anyone?

Brian

How could the pump be running but not pumping out the water?

You may need a little more water.  It has to have enough water to pump it out the drain tube and still have water to push that water out.  other wise you have air in the line and it can't pump.  Try it with more water and the jumper.  If the hoses are not clogged and you have enough water, then the only thing it can be is the pump.  Put plenty of water and jump the pump and then get back to us.  It's looking like a bad pump.  The impeller could be loose or the pump could have bad bearings.  Does the pump make a lot of noise?  It may spin with no water in it, get a little water in it and maybe it can't spin.  Test it with water and a jumper cable and get back to us!

#34 dutchbrian

dutchbrian

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:49 PM

Hi

I have put a full rinse load of water, (6.5" depth), jumped the pump, the pump is turning and humming, vibrating but there is no pumping of water. It is almost as if there is no water in the pump but the hoses are free so I guess it must be the pump.

Brian

#35 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:55 PM

Hi

I have put a full rinse load of water, (6.5" depth), jumped the pump, the pump is turning and humming, vibrating but there is no pumping of water. It is almost as if there is no water in the pump but the hoses are free so I guess it must be the pump.

Brian

could be the pump is turning but the impeller is not turning.  if the hoses are clear, water comes from the hose to the tub and pump and the drain hose is clear then you need a pump.  Put the end of the drain hose down below the water level and see if the tank drains.  if so then it can only be the pump.

#36 dutchbrian

dutchbrian

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:30 PM

Hi

Back again. The new pump has been purchased and should be in The Netherlands on Tuesday.

A further question. If there was a small pin hole in the water pressure sensing tube, could that be causing the lack of pumping?

Brian

#37 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:36 PM

No, the pressure switch system has nothing to do with water pumpout.

Eric

#38 dutchbrian

dutchbrian

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 02:33 PM

Touchdown!!!!!!

Brian and Cyber Friends 1 American Washing Machine 0!!!!

The pump has been installed and the machine is working perfectly, a minor blip when the clip holding one of the pipes came off as not quite fixed correctly but once in proper position, everything is working fine.

Many thanks to everyone for their help, ideas and suggestions.

Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving

Brian

#39 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:01 PM

Touchdown!!!!!!

Brian and Cyber Friends 1 American Washing Machine 0!!!!

The pump has been installed and the machine is working perfectly, a minor blip when the clip holding one of the pipes came off as not quite fixed correctly but once in proper position, everything is working fine.

Many thanks to everyone for their help, ideas and suggestions.

Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving

Brian

a job well done,  congratulations! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics