Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

LG refrigerator FF error LFX28978ST /02

french door evaporator fan freezer fan

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 coralbrief1

coralbrief1

Unsui

• Professional Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:02 PM

The dreaded FF error seems to be common to LG refrigerators.  

Here's my situation:  Got the FF error.  Took out the back panel of the freezer and there were some sizeable chunks of ice.  Got things clean and dry and put it back together -- no error, fridge ran great.  Three days later (this morning) FF error again.  Took the panel out, powered it up, and the fan was spinning, no FF error.  Put it back together, running fine.

Now I know this unit isn't done screwing with me.  And I've seen advice in other posts to this forum to just replace both the evap fan and the muthaboard and don't screw around.  But that's $175-$200 and I'm certainly not convinced that there is a problem with board; and I've seen the fan running just fine.   And that offends my DIY sensibilities.

I'm thinking the problem may be that the motor shaft is sticking -- maybe a little moisture in the bearing, just enough to freeze it up and give me the FF code.  Then take it apart, problem goes away -- until next time.  So I'm wondering if there's any low-temp, moisture-displacing, lubricant that someone might recommend for me to try to work into the bearings/seals for the motor.   (Haven't taken the motor off of the back panel to see whether it is even practical to try this.  Figured I'd post here, first.)

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:44 PM

Depending on your model and if the ice maker is located in the FF section, might be best to replace the freezer evaporator grille assy that comes with both freezer evaporator fan motor and ice room fan motor.

#3 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:19 AM

But that's $175-$200 and I'm certainly not convinced that there is a problem with board; and I've seen the fan running just fine.   And that offends my DIY sensibilities.

Replace:

MAIN BOARD (EBR73304210)

GRILLEFAN ASSY (AEB72913912)

It is not always safe to assume---if a component/part is functioning again---that all is well.

Software updates involve (among other things) fan motor run/operation changes.

The Fan Motors in LG freezers have been revised/changed to control moisture from entering the motor housing---preventing ice accumulation on/in the bearings as well as from the tiny motor circuit boards.

The GrilleFan Assy has been updated---to control/prevent moisture/frost/ice accumulation.

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#4 coralbrief1

coralbrief1

Unsui

• Professional Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:01 AM

Thank you for both replies.  Now replacing both together at least makes sense to me. 

I've taken a look at many parts sites, and none have an image of the GRILLEFAN ASSY (AEB72913912).  Does the assembly include the fan motor?  The descriptions at those sites seem to imply that it does, but they don't expressly state so.

Also, the fact that they've redesigned the grille assembly seems to suggest that my theory is sound -- that moisture is getting on the shaft and freezing it, causing a temporary freeze of the fan motor.  Maybe moisture getting on the a board in the motor too, based upon what John63 posted.  So maybe a coat of dielectric grease on the board and a thin coat of low temp grease on the shaft would solve the problem and save me $200.

Incidentally, since I posted, I've had the FF error twice more.  Each time, I've simply thrown the breaker to the fridge and reenergized it and the error is gone.  This last time, I noticed the error within five minutes of it coming on (had just checked it five minutes before).  And I literally flipped the breaker, counted to 10, and reset it.  Error code gone.

#5 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:28 AM

GrilleFan Assy (AEB72913912) has been replaced (again)...

New Part Number (AEB73764504)...

http://www.repaircli...3764504/2657444

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics