Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Carrier WeatherMaker with Code 31

dgp

My Carrier WeatherMaker 9200 stopped heating with a code 31.  From reading the forum and manuals it looks like it could be one of several things.

• Blocked drainage
  • Blocked air duct
  • Pressure Switch Failure
  • Inducer Motor

The motor spins when the system attempts to fire up.  I never see a glow in the burner view port.  I have been unable to locate the inlet from the manual which shows where to pour antifreeze went winterizing.  I read that you could pour water through to see if the drain is clogged.

When this first happened, it was off for a day, then came back on by itself.  For that reason, I was led to believe it was the drainage.  Perhaps the Pressure Switch is getting flaky.  Is there a way to test the switch?  Or should I simply replace it and work from there?

dgp

post-61607-0-91950000-1383496345_thumb.p

http://appliantology.org/files/file/1368-carrier-furnace-operating-installation-manual/

Carrier Furnace Operating / Installation Manual
Weather-Maker
WeatherMaker Infinity

58MCA
58MVP
58MXA

om58-67.pdf

(after upload approval by the Samurai)

31 Pressure Switch Not Closed
Check to make sure that all PVC pipes leading into the combustion-air intake and vent/exhaust
are free from any cracks and sags.
Also check the combustion-air intake and vent/exhaust pipes on the outside of your home for blockage.
> bird's nest during the summer ?
  • Like 1

The draft inducer motor running is normal on a call for heat.

Remove the pressure switch tubing from the draft vent.

Suck on the tubing to listen for a click in the pressure switch.

Use your meter set for continuity and test the PS terminals.

If it clicks and they close OK,replace the tubing on the DI vent.\Remove the tubing and blow through to clear any restriction at the DI vent.

Replace the tube on the PS and start yor furnace while checking voltage at the board from the PS.

• Like 2

From the photo, do I use the top tubing on bottom tubing?

And this is the pressure switch, correct?

Thanks to all three,

dgp

Edited by dgp

That is the pressure switch, the lower hose is the one that supplies vacuum to the pressure switch.

Remove the lower hose and try to blow back thru it, most likely you will not be able to blow thru it.

I had one that had that exact same draft inducer motor a year or two ago and the bottom of the drafter inducer chamber will completely plugged up with rusty muck.  You may have to remove the draft inducer motor to get it fully cleaned out, also make sure the condensate drain hose at the very bottom, (the larger hose), is clear and not plugged.

If the condensate drain isn't draining good it will back up and plug off the vacuum hose.

• Like 1

I checked the vents and they appeared to be clear.  I then took off the top tube to the combustion chamber and (ooops) sucked through it.  I got a throat peppering of debris.  The furnace started because the tube was off.  I then reconnected the tubing and the furnace kept running.  Did I need to cycle the power after restarting?  If not, I believe the problem was blockage in the tubing.

Thanks all,

dgp

Edit: never mind. It was posted before about the flues and i missed it

Edited by Bullstok