Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

LG Fridge LFX28978ST /01 Problems

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TonyMS21

TonyMS21

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:None

Posted 03 November 2013 - 06:50 PM

My LG fridge stopped cooling the same day we had a whole house generator installed (I don't think the two are related).  No problem we had a extended warranty and after some calling around to Home Depot they finally got some out in two weeks.  They said the mainboard was bad and ordered the part and scheduled another appointment 2 weeks out.  Home Depot called me said something was back ordered so they sent me a check for the replacement and the food loss and washed their hands of the problem.  Part came to my house so I replaced it myself and powered it on it went thru its cycle a blew the same area on the board.  I ordered another board put it in and left that connection unplugged and it is working with no error codes.  The ice maker isn't working and there is no water out the front.  Sounds like water should come out but nothing does and the test button in the ice maker makes the ice tray move thru its cycle.  I have the service manual from this site but can't seem to find where those connections go.  I had another local guy out he said it was the display board which I believe he was referring to the sub board behind the water/ice area but he flaked out and just got my money back from them.  Anyone else have this problem?  To recap the fridge cools top and bottom perfectly and there is no error codes there is no ice/or water and I don't want to hook that connection up since I haven't found the cause of the problem.

IMG_4193.jpg

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:01 AM

Inspect the wiring at the hinge---on the left side refrigerator door.

If the doors were removed---to allow delivery into home---it's not uncommon to find a damaged wire.

It's possible that---a wire is grounded/shorted---under the hinge (from re-installing the doors).

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#3 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:48 PM

Had an LG side by side two weeks ago.  Power surge took out the Main PCB (similar damage to the ribbon circuit).  Customer ordered and installed a new Main PCB.  Interior lights worked but no display and no voltage to the compressor or fans.  I had to replace the Main PCB again along with the display PCB (interface) to correct the problem.

#4 TonyMS21

TonyMS21

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:55 PM

When you say Display board are you referring to long rectangular board with the buttons and the 2 two digit displays or the smaller board in the same area.  In the service manual it refers to that one as the sub pcb.

#5 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:46 PM

In the instance of the side by side, it was the long display board, and that model didn't have the Sub PCB for the auger motor as your model does.  Heed the wisdom of Brother john and inspect the wiring harness at the door.  Difficult to say if there's any correlation between power disruptions from the generator installation and failure of the refrigerator.

#6 denrayr

denrayr

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:01 PM

Grab an ohm meter and ohm each wire in the disconnected harness to ground. Based on the damage, it looks like the pillar heater circuit is shorted to ground.

RedRock Appliance Service

435-773-7838

www.redrockrepair.com

Serving St George and Southern Utah

#7 TonyMS21

TonyMS21

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:32 PM

I checked the harness at the left hinge everything looks fine I should check the right too.  Thanks for the ohm each wire suggestion I didn't think of that.  The circuit with the damage is listed as pilar htr which for what I understand is in the doors and keeps them from sweating.  I just want the water and ice maker to work again if it is the pilar htr and they are in the door how in the world do you get to them. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics