Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Elite 110.20922990 Washer is a lazy agitator

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 strudles

strudles

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:43 PM

My washer is misbehaving again. This time during a wash cycle it started making a loud grinding noise. I stopped the cycle and found the clothes all tangled around the center post. I pulled them all out, drained the tub and didn't find anything lodged under the agitator. I did some reading and found that agitator dogs can cause the top part of the agitator to slip and not turn properly so I replace them this morning. The problem didn't go away. The bottom half of the agitator turns powerfully, but the top half is lethargic and even starts to turn counter-clockwise. I can stop it from moving with my hand. Here is a video of what it's doing. Any ideas?

http://youtu.be/xGRI74Vt3Vc

Thanks,

Trudi

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 fairbank56

fairbank56

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:15 PM

Faulty gearcase. The lower agitator is supposed to go back and forth, not round and round in one direction as yours is doing. The agitate gear in the gearcase is not fully engaged with the agitator shaft and is only engaging it when moved in the counterclockwise direction.

Eric

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,609 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:49 AM

Faulty gearcase. 

Gearcase part link with how-to video:  http://www.repaircli...ion/3360629/423

#4 strudles

strudles

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:42 AM

Aye, we replaced that one awhile back (rebuilt). How long are they supposed to last? Thanks for the helpful information, btw. I was scratching my head after replacing the agitator dogs didn't work.

Trudi

#5 fairbank56

fairbank56

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:06 PM

The dogs only engage the upper agitator (auger) when the lower agitator goes in the clockwise direction. This causes the auger to only go CW, forcing the clothes downwards. Your lower agitator is only going in the CCW direction. You take your chances when buying a used gearcase. The gearcase can be repaired if your a good mechanic and take the time to learn how the gearcase works. Most internal parts are available.

Eric

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,609 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:12 PM

The new gear case comes with a 1 year warranty if ordered thru the link I posted above.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics