Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

strudles

Kenmore Elite 110.20922990 Washer is a lazy agitator

6 posts in this topic

My washer is misbehaving again. This time during a wash cycle it started making a loud grinding noise. I stopped the cycle and found the clothes all tangled around the center post. I pulled them all out, drained the tub and didn't find anything lodged under the agitator. I did some reading and found that agitator dogs can cause the top part of the agitator to slip and not turn properly so I replace them this morning. The problem didn't go away. The bottom half of the agitator turns powerfully, but the top half is lethargic and even starts to turn counter-clockwise. I can stop it from moving with my hand. Here is a video of what it's doing. Any ideas?

http://youtu.be/xGRI74Vt3Vc

Thanks,

Trudi

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Faulty gearcase. The lower agitator is supposed to go back and forth, not round and round in one direction as yours is doing. The agitate gear in the gearcase is not fully engaged with the agitator shaft and is only engaging it when moved in the counterclockwise direction.

Eric

Aye, we replaced that one awhile back (rebuilt). How long are they supposed to last? Thanks for the helpful information, btw. I was scratching my head after replacing the agitator dogs didn't work.

Trudi

The dogs only engage the upper agitator (auger) when the lower agitator goes in the clockwise direction. This causes the auger to only go CW, forcing the clothes downwards. Your lower agitator is only going in the CCW direction. You take your chances when buying a used gearcase. The gearcase can be repaired if your a good mechanic and take the time to learn how the gearcase works. Most internal parts are available.

Eric

The new gear case comes with a 1 year warranty if ordered thru the link I posted above.