Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Exit strategy?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RedToryTy

RedToryTy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Guinness Stout

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:27 PM

To the Dojo,

Customer calls about clicking when WP DD washer was in operation. I find three pairs jeans, three work shirts, and four sets t-shirt and draws. After getting the cover off, I learn the coupling has twisted apart and tranny leaking fluid. Warranty?

My research points toward wariness. My local parts store owner, and recovering technician, asked about the coupling; "twisted apart, not a clean snap," I said. "She's overloading," said he. Seeing that load, plus the twisted coupling, alerted my gut. Her response confirmed my gut; bringing up "you said" when presented with my evidence and citing Whirlpool's "super load" definition: 4 pairs jeans, 4 pairs jeans, 4 shirts, and 2 sets sweats.

I'm confused and under-equipped. She calls this morning expecting repair, after last night telling me she'd purchase a new product. I sense she's rushing this along, hoping to get some sort of warranty. I have the physical evidence: the broken coupling and damaged gearcase. I don't want to continue working for this carping customer, but am stuck. Help.

Thanks in advance,

RedToryTy

Mr. Tyrus Lee Smith
Owner-Operator, Smith's Appliance Service
701 Baldwin Falls Road
Baldwin, Georgia 30511-2108
706-778-3411

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 sh2sh2

sh2sh2

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:yeunling

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:59 PM

warranty with who?, did u service this washer previously?

#3 J5

J5

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:52 AM

doesnt sound like a lot of washing to me

and for a washer to fail because of loading , seems like a design flaw to me

curiosity for me and to know what i am dealing with i put about 15 towels into a F&P top loader

to see what would happen , it washed them all

#4 RedToryTy

RedToryTy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Guinness Stout

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:10 PM

I have serviced this DD washer previously, installing a rebuilt tranny eleven months ago.

Mr. Tyrus Lee Smith
Owner-Operator, Smith's Appliance Service
701 Baldwin Falls Road
Baldwin, Georgia 30511-2108
706-778-3411

#5 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:52 PM

It depends on your service guarantee, Tyrus.  I warranty my parts for 90 days and labor for 30 days.  In that time frame I know the installed parts were not defective and the workmanship was correct.  That leaves customer misuse and Acts of God, which I cannot guarantee.

I would quote this customer parts and labor to replace the gearcase and coupling and be done with it, one way or the other.

#6 Thirstytech

Thirstytech

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Oberon

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:47 AM

I bet cops feel the same way we do when they pull someone over who's driving all over the road at 2am and ask them "have you been drinking tonight"  and the guy smells of booze - "no sir I haven't.  Uh huh.

Ma'm have you been over loading this washer?  "Oh heavens no, there's only a few of us that live here and besides its a super ninja star 5000 pseudo commercial model"  As the disbelieving tech pulls multiple pieces of clothing out between the tub and basket or sweeps up the blown up coupler.  Uh huh.

At least the cops get to make the accused do the "stupid human tricks" on the side of the road to see if there right or not.  I wonder if that would work for us?  Ma'm please stand on one foot, hop up and down, and say the alphabet back words. 

#7 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:on the house...

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:12 AM

Someone steps on their glass cooktop by mistake whilst painting the ceiling, insists that it is a "thermal crack" covered by the warranty,,, foot print and all...

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics