Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Gas Range JGBP90MEB3BC Broiler not burning clean

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 appliancecare

appliancecare

Yamabushi

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Guinness

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:38 PM

I have a GE gas range

Model # JGBP90MEB3BC

Serial # LA254133P

Broiler is not burning clean. Too large of a flame. Leaving soot on upper part of oven cavity.

There is no adjustment on the orifice that I can see.  Burner is clean/good.

This is connected to bottle gas/propane.

All top burners and bake burn clean with no problem.

Should I just replaced orifice and/or valve?  Is there a different part # for LP orifice?

Thanks,

Jim G.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 denrayr

denrayr

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:05 PM

These types of burners generally use a hood type of orifice. There is a pin behind the orifice. When you tighten down the orifice, the pin restricts the flow of gas. For LP, these hood orifices should be tightened down to their limit.

RedRock Appliance Service

435-773-7838

www.redrockrepair.com

Serving St George and Southern Utah

#3 appliancecare

appliancecare

Yamabushi

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:14 PM

Yes. That is what I am used to seeing but this orifice is fixed.  It can not be tightened down...  as far as I can see.

Jim G.

#4 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:51 PM

Taken from the manual that comes with the range.
CONVERTING TO LP GAS (or converting back to natural gas from LP)
This range leaves the factory set for use with natural gas. If you want to convert to LP gas, the conversion must be performed by a qualified LP gas installer.
The conversion instructions and LP orifices can be found attached to the range next to the pressure regulator.
Keep these instructions and the orifices in case you want to convert back to natural gas.
"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

#5 appliancecare

appliancecare

Yamabushi

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:36 AM

This has already been converted by someone.  The instructions and orifices are no longer there.  Was it necessary to change the broiler orifice when converting if so can I order the correct orifice?

When I look at the parts breakdown it lists only 1 orifice for the broil and does not indicate if it is LP or Nat.  In the parts breakdown there are separate orifices for LP and Nat for the top burners but not for the bake and broil.

This says to me that there is not an LP orifice for the broiler.  So why is it not burning good?  I was thinking about replacing the orifice and/or valve.  Can't think of anything else.  But then again I don't think that is gonna work.

???

Jim G.

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,872 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:41 AM

GE Gas Range Perversion Destructions:  http://appliantology...en-and-cooktop/

#7 appliancecare

appliancecare

Yamabushi

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:47 PM

Hi Folks,

Update on this problem:

It's a new year and I'm trying to solve some old problems.  The broil orifice in question is not adjustable as far as I can see.  I even ordered a new one and its the same.  Not adjustable.  I tried to attach a pic but I am inept at doing that too I guess. That effort cost 15 Minute of my life I won't get back!  :banghead:  :smile:.   There is a pic on Repair Clinic if interested.   WB28K10018.  I called GE customer service but of course no help.  All they wanted to do was schedule a service call.  So unless anyone as a new suggestion I'll be forced to let this one go.

Thanks for all the help

HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone!

Jim

Jim G.

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,872 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:32 PM

I tried to attach a pic but I am inept at doing that too I guess. That effort cost 15 Minute of my life I won't get back!

Invest another 15 minutes in perusing the site help page and all the mysteries of Appliantology shall be revealed unto thee:  http://appliantology...ore&module=help

#9 vee8power

vee8power

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Folgers

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:58 PM

The orifice must already be screwed down all the way. Have you tried adjusting the fuel/air mixture? You can adjust the primary air by loosening the screw and moving the aluminum shutter; it's on the part of the burner that slips over the office.

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,872 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:17 PM

The orifice must already be screwed down all the way.

How do you figure that?

#11 vee8power

vee8power

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Folgers

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:05 PM

He says it's not adjustable. I was thinking because it wouldn't  screw down any more, it was already adjust for LP.

#12 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,872 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:01 AM

I was looking through the parts for this range and came across this orifice hood: http://www.repaircli...WB28K202/255954

If you look at the straight-on view of the orifice hole, it appears smaller than the red-banded orifice hood, which it would be for propane. Now I'm starting to wonder if this is the one range GE made that uses separate orifice spuds for nat gas and propane.

#13 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,688 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:28 AM

I don't know how old this GE range is but I'm seeing this in the new Whirlpools.

Just did one today, (a DSI spark ignition model), with sealed surface burners.  The conversion kit was four surface burner orifices and a screw in orifice for the bake burner and a hood style orifice for the broil burner, (broil burner orifice holder doesn't have the LP spud in the center - you have to change hoods).

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#14 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,525 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:07 AM

appliance care, can you see if there is a color band around the orifice????...........................The "oven" green banded orifice  ( P/N  WB28K202)  is probably what you need VS. the red banded in P/N  WB28k10018......Has this unit  been used in this location before??????.......It appears the 'Bake" orifice ( P/N  WB28K60)     has the adjustable spud.......... I.E.  Crank down to convert to Propane...................." Converted by someone else" does not mean that they changed / converted it correctly..................Like I have fell for that one before... :banghead: .

#15 appliancecare

appliancecare

Yamabushi

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:01 AM

Thanks for all the input.

Much appreciated!

Been crazy busy but gonna get on this today.

Just to clarify the top burners and bake burner all burn fine.  The bake burner orifice is adjustable and has been screwed down.  The broil burner orifice is not adjustable.  It is cranked down all the way and the flame is to large.  The shutter adjustment does not help.   Broil orifice has a red band on it so I do believe that I need the WB28K202 orifice. 

I'll let you know the results.

Thanks again, Jim

Jim G.

#16 appliancecare

appliancecare

Yamabushi

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:27 PM

Update:

Went today and installed the new orifice.   WB28K202 with the green band.  Everything working fine.

Thanks for all the help!

Jim G.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics