Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Elite (Samsung) Refrigerator 401.41003010 Display screen locked

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ritz

Ritz

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:46 AM

This Kenmore elite Samsung made refrigerator has the display screen locked. Child lock works. Light button does not work. And can't change temps on screen.
Is there a key dance way to unlock it?
Troubleshooting tips?
Not very familiar with Samsung yet.

Edited by Ritz, 06 November 2013 - 08:51 AM.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Ritz

Ritz

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:08 AM

Was able to get the screen off via some hidden locking tabs on the underside of the dispenser area.  

The customer decided not to move forward with the repair at this time.  The screen part number is here:

http://www.repaircli...708422A/2051382

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,185 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:55 PM

Hey, thanks for the update.  Sorry we weren't more help on this one.  

#4 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,757 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:00 AM

Samsung's control/displays will be locked with one or more segments of the digits flashing if you have an error on any of the thermistors - shorted/open or out of range and many other things are checked on power up and will lock the display with the error showing.

I working on one - a french door bottom freezer model, (the first one that I've worked on), that has a bad refrig defrost sensor.   The customer only had the problem after the power company changed their meter to a smart meter.  After power was restored they had the problem of the display being locked and not able to input any changes.   They assumed changing the meter, a surge took out the board, it didn't and the error was most likely there before it was powered down but the power-up self-diagnostic cycle only happens when the power is removed and reapplied.  It has been running fine in a cripple mode for the last week and half with the bad refrig defrost sensor after resetting the board by holding the two buttons down.

You can reset the board after you have recorded the flashing segments by pressing two certain buttons together and it will go into a cripple mode and work the best it can depending on what has failed.  You have to hold the buttons for 8 seconds till all the display starts flashing and let up on the buttons.  If the buttons are held for an additional 2 seconds after the display starts flashing it should go into a diagnostic mode that should have the segments that indicate problems flashing.

You will need to find a manual to know what buttons to push or if the Kenmore is like the Samsung I'm working on they have a tag on the back of the unit that shows some of the basic diagnostic pushing certain buttons together for reset/diagnostic test.  If the tag is there is should also show what each segment of display means if it is flashing.

"Energy Savings" & "Lighting" was the button combination for the unit I'm working on.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#5 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,757 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:36 AM

I did a little more research and found an owners manual for your Kenmore/Samsung.  You don't have standard push buttons like the one I'm working on, you have an LCD touchscreen.

Looks like there should be a "Display Reset Button" at the bottom right of the control screen, do you see that and have you pushed it?

Here's what it says about the "Display Reset Button",

When the refrigerator is plugged in or the display reset
button is pressed, the "Current Date/Time" screen will be
displayed.

All the above info about the flashing display segments won't apply to yours either.

Looks like the "Display Reset Button" is an actual tiny button that would need to be pushed with the tip of a pin or paper clip.

In the problem resolutions in the user manual for THE DISPLAY FUNCTIONS DO NOT WORK
Check if... The display lock function is set to Locked.    Then..... Reset the display lock function to Unlocked.
Check if... The display lock function is set to Unlocked.  Then.... Push the display reset button with a sharp tool. This
initializes the display. (Please note the user's information is not removed.)

Here's a link to download the user manual if you want to look at it, no diagnostic info just general user functions of the LCD display: http://www.managemyl...NM/L1002172.pdf

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#6 Ritz

Ritz

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:13 PM

Thank you for posting the helpful info.  Yes I found Display Reset Button.  It was not set to lock.  I pushed the reset button.  Even took the display off the freezer door shook it and danced on it with my clogs.  Still locked.  I've parted ways with the customer due to his "frugality" 

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,185 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 27 December 2013 - 09:08 AM

I've parted ways with the customer due to his "frugality" 

Very delicately put!   :argue:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics