Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Elite 665.13759k602 knocking noise when drawing H2O

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Skyla

Skyla

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:plain old tap water

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:16 PM

Every time we run the dishwasher we get horrible loud knocking sounds in the water line as the dishwasher is pulling in water. When we run the kitchenicon1.png faucet the noises stop.

I've had two highly recommended plumbers to the house about this problem. The first one said it was my faucet which was loose and replaced the parts and for awhile it was slightly better. The second one claimed it was air trapped in the pipes, drained all the water out and fiddled around - that didn't help. He then checked all turn off valves under the sink and they were perfect. He suggested it was the dishwasher but he had no knowledge how dishwashers worked or what the problem could be.

I believe the dishwasher is about 7-8 years old and appears to be working properly - dishes come out clean within an appropriate time frame. The machine interior is clean - no build up of debris or clogged lines. Water empties appropriately and the machine makes a little noise in operation - you can hear the water swishing around and the pop of the detergent dispenser.

My hot water heater is also about 7-8 years old. We have plenty of hot water for showers so I'm not sure if that is the problem? No knocking when taking showers or flushing toilets.

I need to fix this problem - we can'icon1.pngt keep running to the kitchen to run the tap when we run the dishwasher. I don't want to pay another plumber who can't fix or at least diagnose problem.

I don't want to pay for a dishwasher repair person to come unless it is the dishwasher. And if it is the dishwasher - is it a part that can be repaired or would I need to replace it? Every time I call the appliance repair person (Fridge/stove) they can't fix it and I have to buy a new one - these appliances are designed now to break down and not be repairable because they stop making parts - but I'm sure you guys here know all about that frustrating part of the job.

Thank you

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:00 PM

... I've had two highly recommended plumbers to the house about this problem.

:rolleyes:

may be "water hammer"
http://appliantology...asher/?p=194625

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 Skyla

Skyla

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:14 PM

:rolleyes:

may be "water hammer"
http://appliantology...asher/?p=194625

thank you for your reply and I went to that other link you posted. They mentioned an inlet valve snapping shut on the dishwasher so I'm wondering if this valve on my dishwasher is broken and maybe it needs to be replaced? And do they make this part still?

I will also see about this water hammer - I presume a plumber would install it? And that is probably why the second plumber was looking for air trapped - but I regret neither plumber suggested adding this water hammer device.

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:22 PM

...  probably why the second plumber was looking for air trapped

trapped air would actually prevent "water hammer"..

that's the "working device" used in some "water hammer arresters"

http://www.repaircli...R=154&N=1481085

Water-Inlet-Valve-W10158389-01085182.jpg

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 Skyla

Skyla

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:17 PM

Thanks so much. I'm going to call a new plumber and ask them to install a water hammer. I'm very appreciative of your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics