Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Ikea appliances - good or bad idea

ikea appliances

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dfphoto

dfphoto

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:07 PM

Hi Master,

I found a crazy guy who is hopefully selling and installing a full ikea kitchen for me. My issue/question is; this guy is telling me has all the ikea appliances for sale so far he is saying about 30% off new but I'm a bit leary because I thinking about it, there is no warranty since i have no receipts, and I would like to know what your experiences are in servicing ikea appliances. I don't know who makes them or anything about them.

I appreciate the help and answers... Best David

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:27 PM

edit mistake , sorry

Edited by Cactus Bob, 06 November 2013 - 09:41 PM.

SORRY ABOUT THE SPELLING , I FIX GREAT , I DON'T SPELL WELL

#3 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,368 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:19 AM

I serviced a couple of Ikea branded fridges. Both were optical ice style SXS models made by whirlpool.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#4 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:42 PM

I had a customer a few months back who was definitely not satisfied with his Whirlpool/Kitchenaid made Ikea wall oven.  Wasn't happy with the unit not maintaining proper temperatures, although when checked it did achieve and hold temps.  There was a couple of pointers or updates on this product and one recommended fix was customer instruction.  There was also some Farenheit and Celsius adjustment issues.

In the end, there were no repairs possible to remedy his problem.  And no product exchange was even possible because the model had since been discontinued.

#5 dfphoto

dfphoto

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:48 PM

Ok thanks people, I guess 20-30% off isn't worth it for ikea... branding... I was thinking that as they have a very strict return policy I can't imagine their appliances...

Thanks dave

#6 slantsixdan

slantsixdan

Sōhei

• Scholar of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:20 AM

My advice: Stay away. It looks nice on the Ikea show floor, but quality is poor.

#7 Thirstytech

Thirstytech

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Oberon

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:45 AM

As stated above, the Ikea appliances are made by Whirlpool and have a 5 year warranty.  

http://www.ikea.com/...l#appl_warranty

#8 slantsixdan

slantsixdan

Sōhei

• Scholar of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:59 PM

Great, but "made by Whirlpool" doesn't necessarily mean anything other than made by Whirlpool. The Ikea appliances, like any other brand, are specced and manufactured to a price requirement. We moved recently into a place with a recent Ikea kitchen makeover and while the appliances were not replaced at that time, all the rest of the Ikea components (sink, faucet, counter, etc.) are shoddy. They're stars of the "Have This Kitchen For Just $XXXX.XX!" signs on the show floor, and they look great if one wants to tart up a place to sell or rent, but that's about all they're good for. The details of the Ikea appliances I've scrutinised have not impressed me; I'll be staying away. Others, of course, are free to disagree and go with their own preferences.

(As for warranties: They're basically sales tools, AFAIC.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics