Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Roper Refrigerator leaking water under and in crisper drawers

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:58 AM

OK, I don't know which is driving me crazy, the 90 year old customer or the refrigerator, but it is a Roper refrigerator, Model # RT18AKXKQ07,  Serial # ER5214957.  I cleared the defrost drain completely and added a heat probe, part # 819043 and the damn refrigerator still leaks water under the crisper drawers . Customer has nothing better to do but call me every day and complain about it. 

ANY ideas?

Edited by Scottthewolf, 07 November 2013 - 10:30 AM.

Scott Wolf

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,580 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:15 AM

Is there an 'A' missing in the model number?????  after the 8 ???...Closest I can get is a top mount........

#3 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:31 AM

Sorry, I corrected the model #, yes the A was missing.

Scott Wolf

#4 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,580 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:50 AM

Do not see a defrost drain tube any where , is the tube in  the rear wall????......................Could the drain still be freezing over??????.........................May be a bit longer drain heater is required, never used your P/N of heater........................I make one out of 14 gauge copper wire, wrapped around the heater and poke it down about 2 inches into the drain....... Dripping a little or a lot??????...............Spilled liquid product inside????...........For your customer, check my post in the 'Bidness skool" section on my customer..." the customer is paying".....

#5 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:29 PM

I guess I will take apart the air damper and diffuser and look for ice in there.

Scott Wolf

#6 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:21 PM

I even replaced the adaptive defrost control board with a mechanical tried and trusted defrost timer thinking the ADC board might be sticking in defrost when the compressor is running.  It STILL leaks out water. The defrost drain hole frosts over while the unit runs, when it goes into defrost, the heat probe I installed melts the frost and the defrost water goes down the drain into the drip pan like it's supposed to. 

This unit doesn't have a P-trap hose, it just has a hole in the bottom of the unit where the defrost water comes out.

This unit worked fine in our shop for a month with no water leaks.  The only thing I did to the unit before I delivered it to the customer is reverse the doors. I have triple checked both door gaskets for air leaks, checked that both the evaporator fan motor and the condenser fan motor are operating at full speed, I still cannot figure out why the defrost drain hole frosts over while the unit runs, 

This unit replaced a 40 year old Montgomery Ward refrigerator made by Frigidaire that was also leaking water in the same spot. That's why I sold it to him.

I am ready to go buy him a brand new refrigerator. 

I REALLY need to have access to www.servicematters.com again. 

PLEASE, can somebody help me out with this refrigerator  and with servicematters.com before I buy the customer a brand new refrigerator???

Scott Wolf

#7 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:35 PM

OK, This better be fixed, dammit!  I replaced the evaporator fan motor and installed a drain trough heater and wired it to the evaporator fan motor, so there should be no more frost building up in the defrost drain trough.  

Man, I hate calls like this. It's such a simple refrigerator and yet causes such a pain in the neck problem.

Scott Wolf

#8 btaggartjr

btaggartjr

Samanera

• Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Widmer Citra Blond

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:21 PM

Any update? That would drive me nuts! Usually the heat probe does the trick for me.

#9 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:24 PM

Customer hasn't called back and complained since I installed the drain heater and the evaporator fan motor.

Scott Wolf

#10 btaggartjr

btaggartjr

Samanera

• Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Widmer Citra Blond

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:25 PM

Good to hear, I hate those types of calls.

#11 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 01:42 AM

UGH!!!  Customer called back the day before Thanksgiving and said it's leaking again.  I've had it  with this unit and I am replacing this unit with a brand new Whirlpool top mount refrigerator that I am buying on Black Friday for half price.

I hate that when you do EVERYTHING possible and replace every suspect part and it STILL doesn't  solve the problem.  I really hope my 90 year customer isn't doing something  he shouldn't be doing.

I had one elderly couple once who took all their detergents and put them in tupperware containers but failed to label them. They accidentally kept putting Spic and Span floor cleaner in their dishwasher causing it to suds up and overflow out the door. Took 3 service calls to solve the problem. I really hate that when you have to play "detective" and have to look in their cabinets to see what they are doing wrong.

Edited by Scottthewolf, 29 November 2013 - 01:43 AM.

Scott Wolf

#12 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 01 December 2013 - 02:16 AM

Is it possible the insulation is saturated with water, leaking from the defrost drain hole area into the fresh food section?  Did you install the little metal tube that comes with part 819043? (Is the little metal tube even applicable?)

#13 Radio Loco

Radio Loco

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Ginger Ale. On the rocks.

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:46 AM

Scott, I read in the other post (ignore) that you bought your customer another frig.

Did you trash this one or will you try to fix it in your shop when you can, just to crack the code for future reference?

I got a 7 year old Kenmore that's doing the same thing and I'm going to install the 819043 heater on Wednesday.

Please let us know how it works out.  Good luck.

I think this will work. I once saw it on a cartoon.

Or, on the other hand.....

Troubleshooting the appliance's complex electro-mechanical systems is the methodology in which one must, by using analyitical techniques and the process of elimination, determine the cause or causes of a specific failure. Rarely does this cause of a failure directly present itself for you to see.

So.....

To be better equipped to troubleshoot, you will need:

1.) To follow this: Safety first and foremost. Trust your instincts.
2.) Basic hand tools.
3.) A decent DVOM meter. Buy one. Borrow one. You need one.
4.) Last, but certainty not least, common sense. Most of us have it. Slow down and use it.

Now, let's have some fun!

ZIG:
Hope is the power that gives a person the confidence to step out and try.
Success is the maximum utilization of the ability you have.

N.M.:
It always seems impossible until it's done.

#14 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:34 PM

Nope, I already wasted 5 trips to the customer's house on this refrigerator. I'm going to strip it for parts and have the appliance recyclers have at it.

Scott Wolf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics