Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Loud friggin' kenmore front loader - again - but this is different...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MayorE

MayorE

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:ABC Fire Escape

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:53 PM

My Kenmore FL washer (417.44142400) got all uppity about 2 weeks ago and makes the old "jet engine" loud sound during the final spin.  Except is doesn't make the rhythmic thumping as in the "bad bearing" video, and the inner drum does not move freely when I "shake it like I mean it".  There's no brown gukus on my clothes, the shocks are fine, nothing in the coin trap, and there are no outward signs on the outer drum of any king of degradation.  I know this beast is 9 years old and has gone thru a lot (think 4 teenagers) but before I save the glass door for a salad bowl and send the rest to the landfill I'd like to be sure the patient is, indeed, dead.  What else could be making all the noise if not the bearing or spider arms?  Could one or both of them have failed and the inner drum still not shake freely? What am I missing, oh Wise One?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 sh2sh2

sh2sh2

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:yeunling

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:30 PM

bearings can be noisy without being loose, also could be the motor bearings, take off the belt and spin the drum by hand and see if it still makes noise

#3 MayorE

MayorE

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:36 AM

Alas, it spins freely but is noisy.  This makes me sad.

The old posts all seem to indicate to replace the bearings I really need to replace the back half of the outer drum, and if I'm doing that I should replace the inner drum "cuz the spider arms are gonna break soon anyway, and instead of doing all that I should just put the blasted thing back together, put in earplugs, and run the beast until it dies totally, having picked out a replacement ahead of time. Am I missing some twinkle of hope or am I pretty much getting a washing machine for Christmas?

#4 Thirstytech

Thirstytech

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Greenbush Starchicken Shotgun

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:22 AM

It looks like your basket is covered by a "limited lifetime warranty" - check your owners manual.  You'll need the rear tub too which contains the bearing.  Call Sears and see if they'll assist you with parts.  You'll probably have to pay the labor.  If they go for it it'll be cheaper than a new washer.

#5 MayorE

MayorE

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 03:25 PM

Success! Using the Samurai tear down video and this one from Yellowman http://yellowvanhand...CFStp7AodgEkAmQ I was able to replace the bearings and seal :rocker: . Not quick, but it only cost $100 and that sure beats the cost of a new machine.  I ordered the parts from the Yellowman sight (since Neither Kenmore nor this site sells the bearings and seal separate) but the repair itself really was not complex, and the thing purrs like a kitten now.  I was also very pleased to see that my spider arm assembly looked good as new even after 9 years and 4 kids.   :pint1: Don't be afraid to tale this on folks - I'm an almost 50 mom and I pulled it off.  :samurai:

#6 telefunkenu47

telefunkenu47

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:17 PM

I'M IMPRESSED!! Mom, you rock.You lookin for a job?

Even root canal is easy...if you're a dentist...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics