Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Frustrating Viking Refrigerator - Air Leaking In

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ZMonet

ZMonet

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:56 PM

Four years ago my wife and I purchased a home with a built-in side by side Viking refrigerator (DDSB423DSS).  This thing has been one headache after another.  The biggest problem is that air seems to be leaking into the freezer somehow and causing forst, primarily at the upper left corner.  I've had technicians out -- and it isn't easy to find Viking technicians -- a number of times to replace the freezer and refrigerator gaksets (twice), yet the problem still persists.  The technician also replaced the ice door (some kit).  Last year I found that if I used HVAC (aluminim) metal tape over the inside of the ice shute that it resolved a lot of the problem.  Of course this also means we can't use the ice maker!  My wife really wants to replace this thing, but these built-ins cost a ton and it seems a huge waste to get rid of what isn't that old a refrigerator.  The other day I removed the aluminum tape and noticed that the freezer shute was now a block of ice (under the tape -- at least that probably acts as more of a barrier...lol).

Anyone have any suggestions on how to stop the airflow from coming in the freezer and make the thing usable again?  I've taken a long look at the manual (http://www.vikingran...0012_F20413.pdf) and Googled the problem but am still at a loss.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:22 PM

... causing frost, primarily at the upper left corner.

I'm not familiar with that model,

but are you sure it's not an overly frosted Evaporator Coil due to incomplete Defrost, OR a Sealed System leak ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 ZMonet

ZMonet

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:43 PM

thanks for your input, much appreciated.  The reason why I think it is air coming in the ice chute is that when I covered up the ice chute with the metal tape, a 1" thick block of ice formed at th very top of the chute (under the tape).  I would think this would mean air is coming up through the chute, past the flap/seal, and causing condensation on the bottom of the metal tape.  I probably wasn't clear, but when the metal tape is over the ice chute, the upper-left frosting problem doesn't exist.

#4 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:27 PM

Then the ice chute is definitely the source of warm air intrusion.  If the ice door was replaced that's fine, but there's a good chance the ice door closer mechanism is not allowing the ice door to close properly.  I don't have your model on my screen right now but here's a tip:  Open the freezer door and shine a flashlight up into the chute from outside of the dispenser.  Look into the chute from the inside of the door.  If you see light, there's your warm air leak.  The ice door has the gasket, but it's the mechanism/delay/solenoid that provides the proper seal.

#5 ZMonet

ZMonet

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 12:45 PM

PDuff -- Thanks for the tip.  With the way the chute is designed, it is difficult to see any light shown from outside-in, but I did see a bit of light around the flapper edges when I shine the flashlight from the inside out.  How do I know what is causing the flapper not to close properly?  Any help appreciated.

#6 ZMonet

ZMonet

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:20 PM

It looks like the part number is G50914155 but I'm seeing $400 just for the part.  It seems like I need to replace the entire thing and not just the flapper.  Does anyone know if there is a non-Viking (i.e., cheaper) replacement.  $400 for the part I'm not even sure will fix the problem seems like quite a bit to continue to throw at this refrigerator.

Really appreciate any help.

#7 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,689 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:31 PM

I've had several homeowners get so fed up with their built in refrigerators that they rip out their built in refrigerators out and replace it with a free standing refrigerator.

Scott Wolf

#8 ZMonet

ZMonet

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:47 PM

Yeah ScotttheWolf, I wouldn't have agreed with that thinking before, but I'm almost there.  If I wouldn't have to figure out a fix for the cabinetry, we'd probably be there a lot quicker.  We'd also have to go with a counter depth refrigerator, which somewhat limits us.  Trying to give fixing this freezer issue one more attempt and was hoping to get some assistance on the ice maker flap.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics