Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

White powdery substance in GE side by side and not cooling

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bigdnpvb

bigdnpvb

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:water

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:37 AM

MY refrigerator has a white powder substance in ice maker and also main food section? Motors are running but freezer not freezing and main refrigerator not cooling? This machine is only 6yrs old. Local repairman came out and put "tap" on line which showed 30 PSI and she said that I needed a new refrigerator. He said it would be too costly to try and find the clogging. He never looked at the mother board and did not seem to know why the white powder was present? A friend told me that a GE repairman had told him to never store "freezer packs" or those "first aid packs" in your refrigerator? Could this be the problem?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 BryanS

BryanS

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:44 AM

If they put a tap on the low side and it is reading 30 psi, then it sounds like a valve is broken in the compresor. A leak or a restriction in the tubing would be running into a vacuum not at 30 psi. Sounds like you need a new compressor which can be about $600+. Sears charges almost $800 to do it. As for the white powder in the ice maket that could just be calcium from the water. Why you have powder all over the freezer, I don't know.

#3 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,560 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:46 AM

Okay My dear Watson, regarding the white substance, the game is afoot!

The powdery substance seems to vex many a people on the net.  Some said it may be spilled baking soda,others indicate it may be from a leaky ice pack but none of these could be confirmed.  One thing that is common is all of the freezers were warm at the time.  One adventurous individual decided to taste the substance and it yielded a salty taste though he ruled out baking soda as the culprit.

A fridge/freezer that is too warm can also grow white powder mold so based on this information we have three candidates:

1) leaking Ice pack

2) baking soda

3) white powder mold

Let's rule out baking soda unless you store it on a tray above the icemaker...but you would have noticed spilled baking soda earlier.

I think we can rule out #3 as it would take a while for mold to grow and you probably would smell it

So that leaves us with #1. This would be my guess, especially if you had stored packs on  a tray  above or in front of an icemaker.  You would not have noticed the leak while the freezer was cold but once it warms up the ammonium nitrate use in many packs will solidify into a white crystalline substance.  I think this supposition is supported by the GE tech warning against ice packs in the freezer (but where else would you put them?) and the adventurous individual that tasted the substance and found it to be salt -like.  Ammonium nitrate is a salt of ammonia and nitric acid  

750px-Ammonium_Nitrate_zps1a837da7.jpg

Or maybe not, lol....anyway I had fun pretending to be someone who knows what he is talking about.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#4 bigdnpvb

bigdnpvb

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:water

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:42 PM

If the "adventurous individual" had also stored ice packs ins his refrig. then I would think that you are definitely correct? I did in fact store my ice packs on the rack right in front of the ice maker. Most of the white powder could be found in the ice dispenser chute and in the ice bucket itself. So in that regard would you want to further a guess that maybe the white powder is clogging up the lines? Or do you agree with Bryon S that I probably need a new compressor? 

#5 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,560 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:23 PM

The powder cannot enter a sealed system. I tend to agree with BryanS regarding that issue.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics